1 2 3
BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim SuperDork
1/13/12 9:56 a.m.

I'm another one who's got both an Android phone (original Motorola Droid) and an iPhone.

I spend all day yelling at, err, tinkering with computers and I prefer that my phones "just work". In that respect, the Droid requires more attention that the iPhone and over it's lifespan of about 1 1/2 years has almost slowed down to the point that I rather grab the iPhone (3GS running iOS 5, so it's not super snappy either) than the Droid for non-phone related stuff. I actually finally gave in and got a T-Mobile SIM (my 3GS has had the carrier lock official removed before I left the UK) for the 3GS because I keep using it even though I thought I wouldn't.

Given that I don't like tinkering with phones I have given serious thought to rooting the Droid so I can drop the Cyanogenmod on it - one of the big issues with Android phones is that you don't get OS updates for very long, if at all unless you DIY them. For the iPhone I'm still getting updates and that's over two years old.

mndsm
mndsm SuperDork
1/13/12 10:29 a.m.

Looks like everyone's pretty much covered it. I'd go GS2 personally, but I have an unabashed hatred for Apple and their "integration". And Iphone doesn't do Flash. As said, they just work. Android does require a bit of care and feeding.

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
1/13/12 11:28 a.m.
rotard wrote: My main gripe about the iPhone, other than iTunes, is the fact that they shatter into a million pieces after one drop.

I have seen multiple, high, drops with iPhones, both with and without cases, never an issue. Including a 5' drop onto asphalt w/o a case.

rotard
rotard HalfDork
1/13/12 11:54 a.m.
neon4891 wrote:
rotard wrote: My main gripe about the iPhone, other than iTunes, is the fact that they shatter into a million pieces after one drop.
I have seen multiple, high, drops with iPhones, both with and without cases, never an issue. Including a 5' drop onto asphalt w/o a case.

I was specifically talking about an iPhone 4. They don't hold up well.

scardeal
scardeal HalfDork
1/13/12 12:53 p.m.

If you're looking to play through the car radio, it's much easier to find a radio/device that will stream audio from an iPhone/iPod. That might be changing a bit, though.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PdbTWcuspkG01E0yGt7pDdrJcEAy7wjgpXaicvYskvT282zsUmEv2XNlCA5Hr6zY