1 2 3
dyintorace
dyintorace SuperDork
12/5/11 4:01 p.m.

I'm not a Scotch drinker (at all) but need to send a nice(!) bottle to a co-worker who has bent over backwards to service a client of mine. I know Macallan gets major money for their stuff, but wonder if a lot of that is marketing hype. What is a good spirit for me to send to him?? My last question regarded rum and you folks steered me straight on that!

mtn
mtn SuperDork
12/5/11 4:14 p.m.

What is your budget?

I'm more of a bourbon guy, but I do like Chivas. I've had a bottle of their cheap stuff (it was good) and a glass of the 18 year--that was pretty awesome.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut SuperDork
12/5/11 4:15 p.m.

Price range? Macallan 12 is a go-to of mine and at $30 bottle a regular in my cabinet, A'bunadh is a good (and strong) $60 bottle... Peated scotches? I do find The Macallans to fetch a little more than they're worth, but you could do worse than finding a xx old Macallan to match your price range.

If $60 is within your "nice" price range, grab the A'bunadh, it's good and different from the norm enough to make a nice little gift.

mtn wrote: What is your budget? I'm more of a bourbon guy, but I do like Chivas. I've had a bottle of their cheap stuff (it was good) and a glass of the 18 year--that was pretty awesome.

With the higher-end Chivas you're paying for the bottling, and they're blended which some scotch drinkers will snub..

mtn
mtn SuperDork
12/5/11 4:18 p.m.

Oh, I've also had Johnnie Walker Swing. That was decent, I liked it better than the Chivas. I believe it is actually a blended whiskey. Or since we're talking about scotch, whisky.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
12/5/11 4:18 p.m.

Available in 25yr $400, 18yr / $75 or 10 / $35 yr old variety. It has a very peaty flavor.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut SuperDork
12/5/11 4:22 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: Available in 25yr $400, 18yr / $75 or 10 / $35 yr old variety. It has a very peaty flavor.

I adore all the Laphroaigs I've had, but I know a few scotch drinkers that hate peateds, so warning on that one.

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
12/5/11 4:26 p.m.

Aussie. Paging Aussie. Maybe it's an acquired taste. Good Scotch is lost on these tastebuds. JD or EW single barrel is not. I'd lick that stuff off the floor.

dyintorace
dyintorace SuperDork
12/5/11 4:26 p.m.

Peated? Who berkeleying knows? I'm thinking in the high 2 figures for a bottle.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut SuperDork
12/5/11 4:29 p.m.
dyintorace wrote: Peated? Who berkeleying knows? I'm thinking in the high 2 figures for a bottle.

Highland Park 18. Should skate in right under a c-note, shouldn't be hard to find.

Strizzo
Strizzo SuperDork
12/5/11 4:30 p.m.

my personal favorite, and a great single malt that you can be sure he doesn't already have in his collection. i can't get it shipped to me in TX, but you can to you in FL iirc. and the bit of extra effort to get something unique shows how much you appreciate his help.

http://www.glenoradistillery.com/

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
12/5/11 5:04 p.m.

I think Johnnie Walker is fail and way over priced.

I absolutely love Balvenie 15 year which should fall in the price range.

curtis73
curtis73 Dork
12/5/11 7:08 p.m.

Laphroaig is excellent. If you want an excellent single malt that truly impresses, get them a bottle of Lagavulin. Expect to pay nearly $100 for it, but it is worth every single peated penny. Its like drinking a fine cigar.

McCallan is wonderful but a little over hyped in my opinion. Its prices reflect its market share.

Cole_Trickle
Cole_Trickle Reader
12/5/11 7:31 p.m.
Osterkraut wrote: Price range? Macallan 12 is a go-to of mine and at $30 bottle a regular in my cabinet, A'bunadh is a good (and strong) $60 bottle... Peated scotches? I do find The Macallans to fetch a little more than they're worth, but you could do worse than finding a xx old Macallan to match your price range. If $60 is within your "nice" price range, it's good and different from the norm enough to make a nice little gift.

Where are you getting Macallan 12 for $30? Last I saw here in NC it was over $65. Thats awesome!

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
12/5/11 7:39 p.m.

Here's one:

Oh wait... I thought you said Scott.

Never mind- carry on.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte HalfDork
12/5/11 7:46 p.m.

A good Scotch is like a woman,Personal preference. I prefer a Highland, Smooth and Accomodating . I have rocked a few Islays for the saltiness though. Dalwhinnie shows me a good bang fer the buck.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut SuperDork
12/5/11 7:47 p.m.
Cole_Trickle wrote:
Osterkraut wrote: Price range? Macallan 12 is a go-to of mine and at $30 bottle a regular in my cabinet, A'bunadh is a good (and strong) $60 bottle... Peated scotches? I do find The Macallans to fetch a little more than they're worth, but you could do worse than finding a xx old Macallan to match your price range. If $60 is within your "nice" price range, it's good and different from the norm enough to make a nice little gift.
Where are you getting Macallan 12 for $30? Last I saw here in NC it was over $65. Thats awesome!

Class 6 on base.

wbjones
wbjones SuperDork
12/5/11 7:48 p.m.

this has been getting a lot of attention (advertisement wise) ... haven't tried it myself .. but the black label is pretty good for a blend

mtn
mtn SuperDork
12/5/11 7:51 p.m.
TRoglodyte wrote: A good Scotch is like a woman,Personal preference. I prefer a Highland, Smooth and Accomodating . I have rocked a few Islays for the saltiness though. Dalwhinnie shows me a good bang fer the buck.

Are you talking women or scotch here?

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte HalfDork
12/5/11 7:54 p.m.
SVreX wrote: Here's one: Oh wait... I thought you said Scott. Never mind- carry on.

Sraight up , no chaser. Her Bonnet could use a proper adjustment.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut SuperDork
12/5/11 7:55 p.m.
wbjones wrote: this has been getting a lot of attention (advertisement wise) ... haven't tried it myself .. but the black label is pretty good for a blend

80% hype, good for only showing to the world you're drinking Johnnie Blue. They hide the good stuff in the green label.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 SuperDork
12/5/11 8:02 p.m.
dyintorace wrote: ... a co-worker who has bent over backwards to service a client of mine.

What kind of business did you say you are in?

wbjones
wbjones SuperDork
12/5/11 8:10 p.m.
Osterkraut wrote:
wbjones wrote: this has been getting a lot of attention (advertisement wise) ... haven't tried it myself .. but the black label is pretty good for a blend
80% hype, good for only showing to the world you're drinking Johnnie Blue. They hide the good stuff in the green label.

who knew... ???? that's one they don't advertise ... and non of the bars around here carry it

Osterkraut
Osterkraut SuperDork
12/5/11 8:16 p.m.
wbjones wrote:
Osterkraut wrote:
who knew... ???? that's one they don't advertise ... and non of the bars around here carry it

I once sat down and sample all of the Johnnie Walkers, personal preference, in order: Green, Gold, Blue, Black, Red.

dyintorace
dyintorace SuperDork
12/5/11 8:18 p.m.

Thanks for the recommendations folks. I'll chase down one of the suggestions and send it on it's way!

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte HalfDork
12/5/11 8:20 p.m.

Topshelf .

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ofv4jnky3Uz3DEczBt2MNrduH5CjpySrWLXsa0UeZ6BaSZypYrGTTfgbP2nEI7RA