JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
4/5/21 2:21 p.m.

EDIT: for good or bad, I've made my decision. I'm going to put a set of Falken Azenis on the D-window rims from Jegs

----------

The tan wheel in the center is the from a 1932/1933 datsun.  I am trying to mimic that look, but with a modern wheel I can stick 200 tread wear tires on.  I think I have narrowed my search to two candidates, either of which would end up being painted tan to look similar to the original wheel in the center.

• Candidate 1 (shipped as white), has the same number of holes in the rim as were seen in the original, but the holes are larger and more triangular
  • Candidate 2 (shipped as black), has more holes than the original rims, but they are smaller and closer to the shape of the holes in the original rim

Which one of these candidates do you think would better replicate the look of the original car's wheel.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) UberDork
4/5/21 2:53 p.m.

The wheel on the left has too much of the appearance of truck wheels I had in the 80s. The shape of the holes is a much bigger factor.

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/5/21 3:03 p.m.

Moment of bluntness intended to help, not insult.

These two wheels are known as "wagon wheels" and "soft 8s."  In the truck and classic american car worlds, they are as common as air, and generally considered a bargain way to customize the look of your vehicle.  I'm afraid that if you put them on an old Datsun, people won't recognize it as being a nod to old Datsun design, they might look at it and say, "oh em gee, why does that old classic Datsun have cheap bro-dozer wheels on it?"

Maybe they won't, just that's probably something I would think on the inside, mostly because I am an aficionado of classic American cars and some truck/off-road stuff, and very much NOT someone who knows a single thing about early Datsuns.  I think you'll be fighting against how super-common those two wheels are against how uncommon it is to see a 1930s Datsun.

Having now (hopefully not) fully offended, I agree that the Soft 8 on the right more closely emulates the Datsun wheel.  For me it's not the number of holes, but the shape.

demnted
demnted New Reader
4/5/21 3:08 p.m.

Photochop those soft 8's with the tan centers.... you may be surprised, just my 2cents....

NickD
NickD MegaDork
4/5/21 3:09 p.m.

I would say that what they call "artillery" wheels in the hot rod world would be closer to what you want. Wheel Vintiques makes them in a ton of 15" and 17" sizes and a boat load of finishes. 

https://www.wheelvintiques.com/artillery-chrome-outer-bare-center.html

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
4/5/21 3:37 p.m.

Going to agree with NickD for what would look better.  The tires on the left are D windows, not Soft 8s (which would look weirder).  Of the two you have selected, I'd pick the left - once painted, I'd think the "truckish" look will be reduced.

And to add my unneeded two cents, I'd probably run American Racing Salt Flat Specials :)

Driven5
Driven5 UltraDork
4/5/21 3:47 p.m.
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) said:

These two wheels are known as "wagon wheels" and "soft 8s." 

D-Hole is different from Soft 8, which has 8 circular holes.

I'd go with the D-holes over the triangle. holes. In addition to trucks for both, for me the triangle evoke cheap trailer wheels, while the D-hole evoke race cars.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
4/5/21 5:19 p.m.

Find the narrowest of either you can find, then mount them on the car inside out.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
4/5/21 6:02 p.m.

It is a Datsun after all. My guess is then it's important that the holes be D shaped

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
4/6/21 6:34 a.m.

Ok, it sounds like a fair number of you folks think, "Ugh, neither one of those wheels" is the  best choice, but that if you were settling between these two, most folks would choose D-window over wagon wheel.  Is that a fair summary?

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
4/6/21 6:43 a.m.
NickD said:

I would say that what they call "artillery" wheels in the hot rod world would be closer to what you want. Wheel Vintiques makes them in a ton of 15" and 17" sizes and a boat load of finishes. 

I've looked at the WV site before, and do really like the artillery wheels.  Artillery with baby moons for center caps would be a great look.....but I have spent HOURS on their website trying to find a baby moon to fit a bare/primer artillery without success.    They have plenty of choices if I want a ford or chevy logo on a center cap, or if I want to put a baby moon on one of their solid steel "NuRodder" wheels.  [sigh!]  

I wish their site had a "Recommended accessories" to show all matching center caps at a glance when you looked at a wheel

It doesn't help that I'm also trying to stay below/around $150

STM317
STM317 UberDork
4/6/21 7:41 a.m.
JoeyM said:
NickD said:

I've looked at the WV site before, and do really like the artillery wheels.  Artillery with baby moons for center caps would be a great look.....but I have spent HOURS on their website trying to find a baby moon to fit a bare/primer artillery without success.    They have plenty of choices if I want a ford or chevy logo on a center cap, or if I want to put a baby moon on one of their solid steel "NuRodder" wheels.  [sigh!]  

I wish their site had a "Recommended accessories" to show all matching center caps at a glance when you looked at a wheel

It doesn't help that I'm also trying to stay below/around $150

Coker sells a bunch of sizes of artillery wheels too, but they're likely to blow your budget.

They do however have multiple baby moons/dog dish hubcaps that are plain, and they might work on a cheaper artillery wheel?

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
4/6/21 9:21 a.m.

In reply to STM317 :

Ooh, nice.  I will have to look into the coker moon + cheap artillery option

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mklO7Ibwjb6qgLcErVSpWqWXwkqcGogcnhL6LjTpwZeCWqq6mEO9YILCOHeBfcMZ