CrashDummy
CrashDummy Reader
11/23/22 10:48 a.m.

Hi all. My Dad passed away recently and I inherited his 1969 Ford Ranchero GT. It’s a cool truck, and I like it, but I don’t have a place to keep it and I don’t like it enough to pay insurance and storage nor do I have enough time to take on another project car. I’m trying to figure out a fair price to sell it for. They seem to be pretty rare but all I can find online are high dollar concourse restorations and rusted hulks, but can’t find much in between. It’s a 351V8 with an automatic. Looks amazing from 15 feet and in photos but it’s a lot rougher up close. A little bit of real rust and a lot of surface rust. It loves to stall out when it’s cold but runs and drives pretty well once it’s warmed up. We’ve been using to haul stuff for donation, to the dump, and to transport furniture as we clean out Dad’s place and it has done a nice job with that. With some love, money, and time I think it could make a REALLY nice driver but not a show winner. The paint to my knowledge is original. Odometer shows 17,XXX but I assume that’s actually 117,XXX. Of course TMU. Dad's health didn't allow him to do much with it over the last 8 years so it has been sitting a lot. He did have it converted to electronic ignition (no more points!) and the gas tank was removed and professionally refurbished under his ownership. I’m located in CT. What’s a fair price to ask for this thing? I'd try to wash it up before the sale; the pictures are as it sits right now. I want to see it go to somebody who will be excited to have and improve it. 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
11/23/22 11:09 a.m.

What I saw on eBay it's got to be in the $12-$15,000 range?  Of course I'm usually way off.  

What's your number?

slefain
slefain UltimaDork
11/23/22 11:10 a.m.

Take it to a consignment dealer and let them deal with it. Someplace like Streetside: https://www.streetsideclassics.com/

You won't get top dollar like you would if you sold it yourself as they take a cut, but they will store it and show it. They will also value it. It isn't Barrett-Jackson condition, but it also isn't Craigslist junk.

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
11/23/22 11:24 a.m.

In reply to CrashDummy :

I have no idea about value, but sorry about losing your dad.

84FSP
84FSP UberDork
11/23/22 11:33 a.m.

Sorry to hear about your Dad.  That looks like a 15k truck.  Maybe a but more if you were able to sort the stalling issue.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
11/23/22 11:43 a.m.

Fix the driveability, clean it up, get really good pictures and put it up on one of the auction sites. BaT if you can, Cars and Bids if you can't. It's a cool truck.

I couldn't sell my dad's Miata, but I came close.

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
11/23/22 12:27 p.m.

In reply to CrashDummy :

Sorry about your dad. 

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ SuperDork
11/23/22 8:22 p.m.

I'll help you put a price on it.  It's priceless.  If you sell it, I can almost promise you that you'll regret it for the rest of your life.  Unless you are desperate for cash, and it doesn't sound like from your description of the situation that the word desperate is apropos, then find a way.  Make a few extra sacrifices.  It can't be THAT expensive to hang on to.  Besides, fix the drivability issues and put it to work.  I bet it'd be the coolest truck in the H. Depot parking lot at any given time.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
11/24/22 1:10 a.m.

Sorry about your loss.

You might have dodged a bullet by not being to emotionally involved in this one. It would take a lot of $$$ to do the body to a heirloom-standard.

As a project car you want to value the completeness and the unmolested nature ( if so) Is it rare, is it all there? Then it will be worth something to someone.

My gut says 10-15k if it is running reasonably well and you can show me compression and or leak/down numbers.

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ SuperDork
11/24/22 8:11 a.m.

Go watch these for motivation.  Sorry about the quality but Motortrend paywalled all the old HD episodes.

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
11/24/22 8:47 a.m.

Rancheros are an odd market. Truck guys dismiss them as cars, car guys don't know WTH they are. Only guys who like Rancheros want a Ranchero.

That is a good one. I'd probably put it in the $10-$12k market but you may have to sell it for a bit less if it's not as nice in person.  $8-$10k may be a fair "want it gone" price vs trying to hold out for top dollar. If you'd take less than that...I'm interested. wink

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
11/24/22 9:14 a.m.

In reply to CrashDummy :

Do you speak Australian?  That Ranchero is fair dinkum!  Now you just have to find a Bruce in the states who defo wants a proper ute.  No wuckas.  It's a ripper!  

Join the Yobbos at the Ute Muster who will build it to be a B&S Ute or a Feral Ute. 

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
11/24/22 7:16 p.m.

Hagerty price guide says $6200 fair condition, $15,200 good condition, $24,000 excellent condition, $33,700 concours condition.  Those are prices for running and driving cars of course.  Yours probably qualifies as good or maybe a little better - if you get it running and driving well I'd start with an asking price of $15,000 - $20,000.

When I was in college I had a 1969 Torino GT two door hardtop with the 351 engine.  They're great cars.  Mine ran to something over 200,000 miles before I got rid of it.  They can rust - one place in particular I remember is the floor pan around the seat mounting bolts.

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
11/25/22 7:56 a.m.

The floor rusts where there is a welded bracket for the seat mount. They reproduce that now (thank you, AMD).  Not that big of a deal to fix if the front of the floorpan is solid.

ZOO (Forum Supporter)
ZOO (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
11/26/22 8:29 a.m.

That's the perfect MTB hauler . . . I really love that.  But, like you, I have zero space for another vehicle.  Cool historical snapshot.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
j3P2jmhrM3ShOd0C5wVMNOO7MGrOPdyFpxvlnanUMLXh2IhWWAtAgU3LAGCIixE4