2 3 4 5
Brian
Brian MegaDork
1/4/19 5:37 p.m.

The smell of clear plastic Craftsman screwdriver handles is magical, especially when combined with a whiff of heavy grease. 

Wally
Wally MegaDork
1/4/19 7:53 p.m.

In reply to Brian :

I just bought another set of Craftsmans yesterday so I will have some around when Sears is gone.  They are what screwdrivers are supposed to look and smell like and I want to make sure I don’t run out. 

Woody
Woody MegaDork
1/4/19 8:51 p.m.

In reply to Wally :

Did you go with the blueberry or strawberry?

Woody
Woody MegaDork
1/4/19 8:52 p.m.

In reply to stuart in mn :

Those are the screwdrivers that I grew up with.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
1/4/19 9:02 p.m.

I won’t use it in the garage, but my kitchen drawer screwdriver is this Craftsman four bit ratcheting deal. It’s awesome for inside the house. I’ve tried to buy more, but I don’t think they are available anymore. 

Wally
Wally MegaDork
1/4/19 9:20 p.m.

In reply to Woody :

I bought the big assortment, hopefully both.  I’ve lost most of the ones I’d been given over the years and needed another key chain. 

02Pilot
02Pilot SuperDork
1/4/19 9:31 p.m.
Woody said:

I won’t use it in the garage, but my kitchen drawer screwdriver is this Craftsman four bit ratcheting deal. It’s awesome for inside the house. I’ve tried to buy more, but I don’t think they are available anymore. 

I have this Wera ratcheting driver. It is spectacularly useful and nicely made. Highly recommended if you're looking for that sort of thing.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
3/30/20 10:40 p.m.

So mzdadeuce, what’s left of the screwdrivers? Thrown them away?

Dad gave me a Wiha multi bit driver and I think it’s the only one I’ve used since. I want to try a Wera as well. 

ChrisLS8
ChrisLS8 Reader
3/31/20 12:44 p.m.

Tekton has two different versions of their US made drivers. 

Tri Lobe- can put some serious torque on these handles but some don't like em. I have the big set of em for 3 years and they still look new.

They also have a hard handle set that resembles the Williams handles 

Williams 12 piece has been great to me as well, Snap on or better quality and 1/3 the price. I hate the Instinct handles and the blades are not worthy of their price.

Lobsterpennies
Lobsterpennies New Reader
3/31/20 3:20 p.m.

If anyone needs a great multiple bit set checkout Chapman screwdrivers. I have the same set I bought 25 years ago. They have bits for just about anything including jis. Made in the USA and to me reasonably priced. 

https://chapmanmfg.com/

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
3/31/20 3:22 p.m.

In reply to Lobsterpennies :

Will they work on my canoe?

Lobsterpennies
3/31/20 4:41 p.m.

In reply to ShawnG :

Sorry if I posted the link wrong or anything. Not a canoe, more of a lurker here for some time( I think you can check my join date as well as any posts I've made. I think if you look you will see I am not). I do really like their their products though. I bought mine for working on my first gun when I turned 21. What I pull out for precision work so I know I won't damage the fastener

Lobsterpennies
3/31/20 4:43 p.m.

Yup just checked my profile. Been here only three years and have made a whopping 30 posts

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
3/31/20 4:50 p.m.

Sorry, didn't check your profile but the post sure looked like it.

Lobsterpennies
3/31/20 5:14 p.m.

In reply to ShawnG :

Next time I am going to post in completely incomprehensible English just to mess with you. Here is a pic cause we all like pics

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
3/31/20 5:53 p.m.

The case has changed from metal to plastic, but Chapman has been building those offset screwdrivers forever.  They are pretty slick.

octavious
octavious Dork
3/31/20 6:28 p.m.

I now have 2 Japanese cars at my house (Lexus GX460, Mazda Miata).  I have one, from who knows where, JIS screwdriver.  I would like a nice set of them, if there is such a thing. So, is there a recommended brand/make/model of JIS screwdrivers? 

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
3/31/20 6:46 p.m.

In reply to octavious :

The best ones seem to be Vessel. They're $6-8 on Amazon for #1 and #2. There doesn't seem to be a "set" of JIS screwdrivers out there. 

Since I made this thread I've had a chance to spend a bunch of time using the wood handled Felo screwdrivers. I like them quite a lot more than I thought I would. Still searching for perfection. I use my Vessel JIS the most outside of work lately because I'm working on Honda motorcycles more than anything else. I also have a bunch of Wera bits that I use in a Felo handle that I got and I like that combination for everthing but flat blade stuff. 

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
3/31/20 8:20 p.m.

I got a Vessel based on this thread. (The super impacta!) and I love it. 

Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie Dork
3/31/20 8:58 p.m.

After a lot of trial and error I have arrived at my screwdriver array. Williams (SnapOn) and Vessel for JIS.

AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter)
AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
4/17/20 8:43 a.m.

FYI Wiha has 50% off on their site today with code "50Kcelebrate". 

Aaron_King
Aaron_King PowerDork
4/17/20 9:55 a.m.

In reply to AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter) :

My wife is not going to like you.

Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter)
Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) Dork
4/17/20 10:18 a.m.

I figured I'd give these SnapOn Instinct handles a try. I do like them better than my old hard handles. The SnapOn/Williams hard handle set to the right will be downgraded to my portable tool box.

Still using my beloved Vessel JIS drivers daily too.

mtn (Forum Supporter)
mtn (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/17/20 10:20 a.m.

FYI, that looks like straight 50% on everything. $2,185 electricians set is $1,090.

Aaron_King
Aaron_King PowerDork
4/17/20 12:01 p.m.

In reply to mtn (Forum Supporter) :

It seems that way.  I got a screwdriver set, bigger water pump pliers and replacement bits.  Came out to $120 before and $60 after with free shipping. 

2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QDDGoyPvFgwKIp3z2YMSqeZRN57S7aZGwfoTuJN7ylDmNXoPoXXqzYjrNYicZ6kR