1 2 3
Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones SuperDork
11/22/22 8:46 a.m.

They're project car cattle guards. I suspect the Wife. 

pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/22/22 8:55 a.m.

Only 5 racks? That's a relief, if it were 6 you'd be in big trouble, but 5 is nothing to worry about. There wasn't a bottle of windex nearby was there? 

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
11/22/22 11:29 a.m.

Evenly spaced and all but one facing the same way.  If it wasn't your house I would suspect some curmudgeon didn't like people turning around in his driveway.

Hobo camp stove?

Toebra
Toebra Dork
11/22/22 11:55 a.m.

Someone cleaned their oven racks.

My guess is it is some guy got the bright idea of powder coating something, and ended up having to soak all the oven racks in solvent, or get a divorce.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
11/22/22 12:37 p.m.

This is bizarre. I want to know what you found on the cam footage!

JAGwinn
JAGwinn Reader
11/22/22 1:00 p.m.

Racks should be nearly invisible when backing car or truck out of garage...when tires run onto racks they will slide, causing loss of braking and loss of traction and you will slide into the street to the amusement of someone...

NOT A TA
NOT A TA UltraDork
11/22/22 1:02 p.m.

Someone using them as an alarm while casing the house? Car drives over them you'd hear the metal on concrete noise.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
11/22/22 1:07 p.m.

Racking my brain looking for an answer. 

Is is it a message or meant to serve a function? Cattle gate to keep you on your own property? Wife-unit hinting that a new overn would go great with the new racks? If you are in need of a new oven, i would find one where these fit so that you wont have to clean a rack for a loooonng time as you can just dispose of them till you run out.

On a more sinister note, they woulda been hella slippy if you walked on them in the dark on that steep driveway.

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing SuperDork
11/22/22 1:42 p.m.

I cannot believe that this hasn't made you crazy enough to drop everything and view the camera footage.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
11/22/22 2:20 p.m.
jimbob_racing said:

I cannot believe that this hasn't made you crazy enough to drop everything and view the camera footage.

Seriously.  This episode of CSI: GRM is moving really slowly.  I probably wouldn't have even finished walking the dog.

Also it reminds me of this:

Leaving a watermelon on someone's doorstep : r/BrandNewSentence

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
11/22/22 2:28 p.m.

You notice that sometimes David just leaves us hanging?  We never found out what his neighbor was building a few months back. 

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman SuperDork
11/22/22 2:30 p.m.

It is Florida, do you expect anything less? 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
11/22/22 2:34 p.m.
WonkoTheSane said:

It's migration season for oven racks.  Those are the young who couldn't keep up with the flock and needed a rest.

Are you suggesting that oven racks are migratory?

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
11/22/22 2:37 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
WonkoTheSane said:

It's migration season for oven racks.  Those are the young who couldn't keep up with the flock and needed a rest.

Are you suggesting that oven racks are migratory?

Depends, are those African or European oven racks?

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
11/22/22 2:49 p.m.

Additional info that I now know:

nothing

hobiercr
hobiercr UltraDork
11/22/22 2:55 p.m.

Have you reviewed the tape?

David S. Wallens
11/22/22 3:24 p.m.

And some more info that I know:

Are they stainless? Not sure. I did save them from going to the landfill, at least for now.

I don’t powder coat.

We don’t get many ducks here–mostly hawks, cardinals, wood peckers and these gray birds.

No appliance store nearby. We're in the middle of a residential neighborhood. 

Don’t know of any nearby vegans tying to send a message. (Although we tend to go with meatless options.)

My wife is just as baffled. They weren’t there when she went running that morning nor when she left for work.

We didn’t see anything in the camera footage, either. We have a few cameras watching the front yard. You can see them from the curb. 

You’d have to be exiting the driveway pretty quickly to slide into the street, I imagine. Plus, not a ton of traffic on our road. We also have good relations with the neighbors. (Hi to any reading this.)

Casing the house? I didn’t find anyone hiding in the bushes. Plus I’d think they’d notice the security cams. Or they could just watch the cars come and go.

Our oven is rather new. I just used it, in fact, to heat up my lunch.

This morning was trash day, but I didn’t see anyone throwing away an oven. And five racks? That’s more than one oven, right?

My best guess: Kids going to or from the school bus stop at the corner, but who carried five racks up the street? I’m not even sure where the nearest kid on the bus lives. 

So, still no new leads. 

APEowner
APEowner UltraDork
11/22/22 3:33 p.m.

I have no idea but I'm now seriously considering leaving some random items in a buddy's driveway just to mess with him.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
11/22/22 3:56 p.m.

I think the most likely cause is bored kids. You live what, a mile from a skatepark? We used to drag furniture from Panera to the skatepark just because we were bored and dragging stuff places it shouldn't be was a way to fill time (don't worry, one of my friends worked there so it was maybe probably definitely totally cool and all to take their furniture).

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
11/22/22 4:18 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

So you've racked your brains trying to figure this out.

David S. Wallens
11/22/22 4:20 p.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard :

I can see that, although our neighbors have way cooler cars. 

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
11/22/22 7:56 p.m.

Bored kids come up with creative ideas. My dad conspired with his friends to switch around all of the cars in the neighborhood garages overnight. I guess they didn't lock them back in the thirties.

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
11/22/22 8:06 p.m.
alfadriver said:

In reply to David S. Wallens :

So you've racked your brains trying to figure this out.

Now that's funny!

MyMiatas
MyMiatas Reader
11/22/22 8:15 p.m.

Well now you know that you have to rearrange your security cams......

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/23/22 1:11 a.m.

Close Encounters Of The Thrid Kind GIFs | Tenor

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WEREB3eFqwPVg8sgzVwXH3Z3Z1hNp6EIk7TwUrVJTYcfiy5jH40NQxpmW21PrmEq