1 2
Robbie
Robbie PowerDork
2/14/18 11:55 a.m.

Have we talked about this beast yet?

20V, 4.0 Ah battery, 1200 ftlbs surprise, $260

https://www.harborfreight.com/20v-max-lithium-12-in-cordless-xtreme-torque-impact-wrench-kit-63852.html

I want it.

EvanB
EvanB MegaDork
2/14/18 12:14 p.m.

I hear it is skookum.

RealMiniParker
RealMiniParker UberDork
2/14/18 1:06 p.m.

We have that Hazard Fright bomb ass impact wrench at work. Got it after repeatedly breaking 24" breaker bars (1/2" drive), on some 1" bolts on a machine that constantly seize up. The HF impact just laughs at them, and screws them out. It's legit. 

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
2/14/18 1:12 p.m.

There was a video on here a while back about a guy that tested it. He would tighten a bolt to some ridiculous amount of torque and see if the impact would bust it loose. He seem to think it was legit. His only complaint was the way the switch was built. Seemed to think it would be susceptible to dust. 

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
2/14/18 1:27 p.m.

Harbor Freight's new CEO is all about quality and is really going after the home-craftsman and professional market. So far, they are really doing well! Everything I've bought of their new lines has been fantastic, and I plan on getting the impact we're discussing here.

Professor_Brap
Professor_Brap Reader
2/14/18 1:44 p.m.

I own this impact and use it 4-5 days a week at home, work and the junk yard, I will undo subfame bolt and control arm bolt ect on rusty ohio cars easily. 

EvanB
EvanB MegaDork
2/14/18 2:44 p.m.
02Pilot
02Pilot Dork
2/14/18 2:45 p.m.

I just bought one based on previous discussions here and that video referenced above, which shows a full-blown disassembly of the thing. I'm hoping for good things.

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
2/14/18 2:59 p.m.

In reply to EvanB :

That's the one. 

MazdaFace
MazdaFace HalfDork
2/15/18 1:53 p.m.

glad to see some reviews on this because i stare at it a bit to long every time i'm in there.

pheller
pheller PowerDork
2/15/18 3:06 p.m.

I wish Harbor Freight would pick a Lithium lineup and stick with it. It seems like they've now got 3 different Li-Ion lines. 

When Harbor Freight sells a battery powered 7 1-2" dual miter it'll be the day.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
2/15/18 3:21 p.m.
EvanB said:

I hear it is skookum.

Love that guy's reviews

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane Dork
2/15/18 3:54 p.m.

He has a Patreon gig if you want to buy him a beer.  I do.    It doesn't get you much more than free but a few days earlier access to the videos. 

Matthew Kennedy
Matthew Kennedy Reader
2/16/18 1:41 p.m.

In reply to tuna55 :

The best part is that skookum is a real Chinook Jargon word, and he's using it correctly.

Fletch1
Fletch1 Dork
2/16/18 1:58 p.m.

Watching with interest.  I WILL own a cordless impact wrench this year.  I wouldn't use it much, but man there have been times I could have used one.  Either this one or spend the extra money for the Milwaukee M18 Fuel 1/2" Mid-Torque.

NickD
NickD UltraDork
2/16/18 2:57 p.m.

Was at Hazard Fraught last night purchasing a Pittsburgh load-leveler for my engine hoist and went over and fondled this johnny. What a beast. It torques over really hard in your hands just free-wheeling. And kudos to HF for giving it the most awesome name ever.

pheller
pheller PowerDork
2/16/18 3:32 p.m.

BOLTR is actually pretty hilarious. 

Brian
Brian MegaDork
2/16/18 10:02 p.m.
pheller said:

I wish Harbor Freight would pick a Lithium lineup and stick with it. It seems like they've now got 3 different Li-Ion lines. 

When Harbor Freight sells a battery powered 7 1-2" dual miter it'll be the day.

I want to buy in on a line, but I can't decide what line to go with. When I looked the other day it seemed one had better batteries, but the other had a more useful tool lineup .

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo Dork
2/17/18 8:00 a.m.

I have the Milwaukee Fuel M18 rated to something like 1440 ft/lbs and it is totally legit.  I imagine the HF clone should be similar.

The M18 Fuel 3/8" drive impact is way more powerful than my Dewalt XRP 3/8" drive impact.  The Dewalt could (barely) get lug nuts off a car, the Milwaukee 3/8" takes them off my F250 all day.  

chandler
chandler PowerDork
2/18/18 7:59 a.m.

I took the Dewalt back, it’s claim of removing xxx #s of torque was malarkey. I used a manual breakover torquewrench to show it would only take off 88 ft# on a full charge. This was a few years ago but I have been watching and this HF version May get me to try again.

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
2/18/18 8:14 a.m.

I bought a Craftsman 19.2 after seeing wae use his to change his wheels a couple times, and also a halfshaft, the gun laughing at the strut bolts and the axle nut.  I have to torque my wheels to 80 instead of 100 so i don't have to pre-loosen the nuts with a 4-way....

So, production tolerances?

One of the guys we run with has a Snap-on electric, which feels seriously beefy to use, but they are over six hundred bucks...

Robbie
Robbie PowerDork
2/18/18 8:55 a.m.

In reply to Knurled. :

Sorry to hear that. I live and die by my craftsman "c3", the thing rocks. But for something huge like an axle nut it's usually not enough. (The craftsman did do it on the 200k mile 2005 Odyssey though...)

Since I don't really run air I am looking for something really tough for when the craftsman can't cut it. Or for whenever the craftsman inevitably kills my last battery after Sears is dead and gone.

docwyte
docwyte SuperDork
2/18/18 11:34 a.m.

I've been using my Milwaukee for years.  It'll easily spin off lugbolts torqued to 100ft lbs.  It's only rated to 450ft lbs, I can't imagine one of the newer ones rated to 1200ft lbs

old_
old_ HalfDork
2/18/18 5:59 p.m.
Jerry
Jerry UberDork
2/18/18 9:29 p.m.

An impact is on my shopping list, always thought HF made good hammers.  But maybe this is the ticket.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xLoroB3CcBwad1SmhVbqL7BJGPign7FiHHwMvOBSHUqzl43q3DQhF4YhGkeof9tL