californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia SuperDork
9/16/21 10:35 a.m.

This will be interesting , its going to be short laps !

they have had Supercrosss and Stadium off road races there before.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
9/16/21 10:48 a.m.

I have always assumed that the Los Angeles International Speedway in Cars and Cars 3 was the Coliseum. So NASCAR has raced there before, back when it was known as the Piston Cup.

californiamilleghia
9/16/21 10:54 a.m.

I bet Pixar will be a big part of it angel

I hope they have open practice with cheap seats , I  would love to see a little bit but not the full day,

gearheadmb
gearheadmb SuperDork
9/16/21 11:26 a.m.

Tony Stewart just keeps getting madder and madder.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
9/16/21 11:38 a.m.

In years past, I've been to NASCAR races at Bristol and it always struck me that from the inside the place looks more like a Football Stadium than it does a race track.

stafford1500
stafford1500 Dork
9/16/21 11:55 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

They have converted Bristol to a football field for some/one very local rivalry in the past couple of years...

Virginia Tech Vs University of Tennessee perhaps.

mslevin
mslevin New Reader
9/16/21 12:24 p.m.

I'd love to know more about how they'll put a track down. I assume it'll be as temporary and possible, and they won't be tearing out the whole football field for one race?

STM317
STM317 UberDork
9/16/21 12:33 p.m.
mslevin said:

I'd love to know more about how they'll put a track down. I assume it'll be as temporary and possible, and they won't be tearing out the whole football field for one race?

They did a dirt track race at Bristol recently. Based on the space available, I'd bet that's the plan in LA as well. It should help to keep the speeds down.

slefain
slefain PowerDork
9/16/21 1:02 p.m.

Given the space available I suggest going straight to what the fans want by racing this format:

slowbird
slowbird UltraDork
9/16/21 1:10 p.m.

I don't know if it will be a *good* track, but it certainly is interesting.

https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/sports/nascar-iracing-simulations-the-clash-race-la-memorial-coliseum/2692626/

Also, this reminds me that Chicago's Soldier Field once held auto races, too.

https://sports.yahoo.com/believe-not-soldier-field-chicago-223500429.html

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
9/16/21 1:14 p.m.
mslevin said:

Isn't the reason for the odd shape of Soldier Field in Chicago is because it used to have a racetrack around the outside of the field?

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
9/16/21 1:21 p.m.

If you have ever been the the Los Angeles Memorial Stadium, you probably would not be that excited about this.  At least if you plan on attending.

It is in a very bad neighborhood, there is virtually no parking (historically you would pay to park on peoples lawns etc!.).  Which is only worse now that they have built more on the site.  In LA, public transit is crap.  There is one light rail line that goes there now, but I am not sure how much that helps (the stadium seats 80,000 now I think, used to be 100,000).

Even if I was a NASCAR fan, I would be very hesitant about attending.   California Speedway is a MUCH better / more appropriate venue.

There is a parking structure on site and some surface parking but I am pretty sure it is way too small (and only one way in), especially when you throw in the space needs for the team trailers etc.

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo Mod Squad
9/16/21 6:38 p.m.

In reply to aircooled :

I just assumed they were windlifting the cars into the stadium?

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/16/21 7:27 p.m.

Make em go up and down the turnstiles like they did in the Mickey Thompson Off-Road Circuit.

californiamilleghia
9/16/21 7:38 p.m.
Appleseed said:

Make em go up and down the turnstiles like they did in the Mickey Thompson Off-Road Circuit.

thats why I am hoping for plus a couple jumps

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UltraDork
6/13/22 7:37 p.m.

Local radio says that they will do it again in 2023 , 

Back in the LA coliseum......

I like that they are doing it again , but it would be neat to go to different cities.

J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
6/14/22 7:39 a.m.
californiamilleghia said:

Local radio says that they will do it again in 2023 , 

Back in the LA coliseum......

I like that they are doing it again , but it would be neat to go to different cities.

Indeed - it's back! It would be neat to see them go to different cities - it could get them into markets they've longed for, such as New York. However, New York in February would be quite chilly. Timing is the tough part, unless they did a similar concept for their All-Star Race.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DA4twHexnKECKCB9nAs6sLQYsH83guYaRJ7qZ18hwIA0zO0KPHqdhPVbKGMBPD0C