Noddaz
Noddaz PowerDork
3/3/23 8:15 a.m.

In the shop where I work (Acura Dealer) there is a 2002 RSX Type S with historic tags.  surprise  

I worked here when those were sold new.  *sigh*

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
3/3/23 8:42 a.m.
Noddaz said: 

Sounds like your ass is actually historic. wink

1SlowVW
1SlowVW Dork
3/3/23 8:43 a.m.
Toyman! said:
Noddaz said: 

Sick burn. 

Noddaz
Noddaz PowerDork
3/3/23 9:37 a.m.
Toyman! said:
Noddaz said: 

Actually, its probably an antique.  

travellering
travellering HalfDork
3/3/23 9:38 a.m.

Which state puts it at 20 years? I thought most fell in line with import stuff and pegged it at 25 years old. Can't say I've really investigated outside Tennessee though.

APEowner
APEowner UltraDork
3/3/23 9:44 a.m.

In reply to Noddaz :

That's how I felt when I was invited to bring the motorcycle I bought new to a vintage bike show.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
3/3/23 10:17 a.m.
travellering said:

Which state puts it at 20 years? I thought most fell in line with import stuff and pegged it at 25 years old. Can't say I've really investigated outside Tennessee though.

NJ does 20 years. My Landy is now an antique.

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
3/3/23 11:30 a.m.
Noddaz said:
Toyman! said:
Noddaz said: 

Actually, its probably an antique.  

I resemble that remark. 

Double tap to edit | @robinhoodprinceofmemes | Memes

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/3/23 12:40 p.m.
mad_machine said:
travellering said:

NJ does 20 years. My Landy is now an antique.

Yep. I'm pretty sure my ex- is planning to get NJ historic plates for her 2003 MINI - that she bought new. 

Hagerty didn't bat an eye when I wanted to add my 2006 MINI to my classic car policy.

porschenut
porschenut HalfDork
3/3/23 3:47 p.m.

In PA

classic 15 years annual safety inspection only, no emissions

antique 25 no annual anything

vintage 1906 to 1976 no idea

there are use requirements but that is a loosely enforced thing.  Drove my classic quattro in snowstorms and my 914 antique to work on a regular basis.  YMMV

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
3/3/23 5:17 p.m.

I bought my 82 Camaro new.  Its been on antique plates for a decade... It used to be 30 years here.  Then. some rocket surgeon decided that 1988 was the end.  Nothing newer than 1988 ever becomes an antique, for some reason.  It's not like there are hundreds of people commuting in 30 year old cars...

XLR99 (Forum Supporter)
XLR99 (Forum Supporter) Dork
3/3/23 5:25 p.m.

Can't get historic plates for my '02 RSX until 2027. Jealous!

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/3/23 8:46 p.m.

It’s 30 years here in Florida and, yes, I have them on the Miata. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
3/3/23 9:02 p.m.

I put classic plates on my 88 mx6 when I bought it in 2013......it's 25 in MN and you have to renew then every 10 years. Made perfect sense to me. 

ae86andkp61 (Forum Supporter)
ae86andkp61 (Forum Supporter) Dork
3/3/23 10:27 p.m.

Oregon is halfway to 1900 for vintage/antique plates...so...1961 or older if my math is correct.

Special interest plates are available for cars older than 25 years, or tube-frame but still street-legal (??) race cars, or cars certified as special interest by a collector organization, or if it is a former military HMMWV...but you can only drive special interest plates in parades and to/from club events.

sad

On the plus side, our cars don't rust much, so 20-35 year old cars on regular plates as daily drivers are common, and 35-50 year old cars still in regular use aren't unheard of. 

smiley

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 PowerDork
3/3/23 10:35 p.m.

40 years in Utah. I really wanted them on my C4. 

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
3/4/23 7:51 a.m.

I have a classic plate on my 93 Lightning (PA). It is now eligible for an antique tag, and I could transfer the classic tag to my now-eligible 06 Mustang. But the cost to do all that is pretty absurd, and I'm not sure I'm keeping the Lightning, so I guess I'll just wait and keep paying the annual fee on the Mustang. I can do that for probably six or seven years before it would pay for itself.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
3/4/23 8:26 a.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

Delaware does that, except it is 1995 and older without OBDII.  Newer cars will never be emissions exempt.

That Manic Miata is a 1996. :(

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UltimaDork
3/4/23 9:45 a.m.

Maryland is 20 years on Historic tags, no inspection or emissions. It's 25 years for trucks over 10,000# GVWR (I know because I had to reg my old K3500 at 9900 lbs to get the historic tag).  There's also Street Rod plates, which require the vehicle to be "substantially modified" (forget if there's an age restriction) and 50-year Historic plates, which gives you the benefit of not having to run a front plate. IIRC that also is a one-time reg fee, good as long as you own the car, no need for renewals every 2 years like all the other types of registration. 

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/4/23 11:17 a.m.

One of the big pluses for getting Classic or Antique plates in PA is it's a "one and done" registration, vs. having to renew every year.  It's the same registration card, but has no expiration date. Getting a lamination kit is recommended.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
3/4/23 4:30 p.m.
porschenut said:

In PA

there are use requirements but that is a loosely enforced thing.  Drove my classic quattro in snowstorms and my 914 antique to work on a regular basis.  YMMV

I had a neighbor here in Minneapolis who got ticketed for this.  The cops figured driving a rusty old Oldsmobile in a January snowstorm didn't meet the requirements for a collector plate.  :)  

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UltimaDork
3/4/23 5:28 p.m.

In reply to stuart in mn :

Isn't "rusty old Oldsmobile" triply redundant?

I've got Texas Antique plates on both my 90 Corvette and 97 OBS truck. The savings are significant. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
3/4/23 8:46 p.m.

In reply to Duke :

We have no emission inspections here, at all.  

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NQDi4LD9aH6VswvKk2j7iNqT9BnyQFnRp4mW6ZCnPvPcUcpchoWfAxi1Z1OwoflF