I'll post the story in a new thread, but this came into my possession today-

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
5/10/22 6:48 p.m.

Very nice!

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
5/20/22 5:38 p.m.

I got my first mechanical! It's a vintage Soviet Sputnik watch. The seconds hand is a disc that has Sputnik on it orbiting the earth with the numerals showing through. 

I need to order a suitable band for it, it's very narrow. 

Recon1342
Recon1342 SuperDork
5/20/22 9:29 p.m.

In reply to Javelin :

Looks sharp!!! I'm not personally a fan of Soviet timepieces, but it's certainly a good looking watch.

Gary
Gary UberDork
6/18/22 7:40 p.m.

This is not my new watch. As much as I like vintage Cartier Tanks, I doubt I'll ever own one. Beautiful watch though. 

As a contemporary, affordable (quartz), and similarly styled watch, I've had my eye on this Bulova Sinatra model for a few months now. It was on sale at an excellent price, so I bought it today:

calteg
calteg SuperDork
6/19/22 9:57 a.m.

I haven't worn a watch for years. About a decade ago I would sometimes wear a woman's g-shock because I have huge hands but tiny wrists.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
6/19/22 11:39 a.m.

In reply to Gary :

That's sharp!

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
6/19/22 11:40 a.m.
Recon1342 said:

In reply to Javelin :

Looks sharp!!! I'm not personally a fan of Soviet timepieces, but it's certainly a good looking watch.

I'm not either, but this was made in Ukraine new and sold out of Kyiv by the guy that Keith and I have been getting the avionics clocks from, plus it's Sputnik. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
6/20/22 11:41 a.m.

There are a lot of recreations of old Soviets out there if you don't want to deal with the old movements.

Love the sub dial treatment on that thing.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
6/20/22 4:22 p.m.

New watch day!!!

It's a Spinnaker SP-24090 diver chronograph in Pine Green. I am not a fan of dive watches, but this particular one gave off a lot of Omega Speedmaster vibes, and I love the dial treatment. The green has a lovely tone and burst.

It comes in more normal charcoal and lapis blue colors, too, but the green was like 1/2 off and I'm a sucker for unique colors.

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
6/20/22 8:21 p.m.

I have a collection of mechanical watches--but it's this $29 plastic one that gets the most time on my wrist.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
6/27/22 1:12 p.m.

I ordered a new bracelet for the Ukrainian Sputnik watch and installed it.

It's small for me. I'm not sure what to do with it now. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
6/27/22 1:40 p.m.

The bracelet is too small, or the watch itself?

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
6/27/22 2:11 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Both. The watch itself looks tiny on me and the bracelet barely clears my hand.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
6/27/22 2:39 p.m.

That is a problem with older watches, the style was to be more delicate and miniaturized. I've made some of my old Soviets look a little bigger by running a wide band - I'll sometimes put a 1mm notch on each side of a 20mm strap so it can go on an 18mm watch, for example. Hard to do with a metal bracelet.

I wonder if you could install the movement and face in a larger case?

To make the bracelet bigger, could you install a different clasp?

Recon1342
Recon1342 SuperDork
6/27/22 3:11 p.m.
Javelin said:

New watch day!!!

It's a Spinnaker SP-24090 diver chronograph in Pine Green. I am not a fan of dive watches, but this particular one gave off a lot of Omega Speedmaster vibes, and I love the dial treatment. The green has a lovely tone and burst.

It comes in more normal charcoal and lapis blue colors, too, but the green was like 1/2 off and I'm a sucker for unique colors.

Let me know how you like it; I've been looking at their automatics...

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
6/27/22 3:35 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

It's okay, I think I want to keep it as it is. It was a good learning experience for mechanical servicing, metal bracelets, and just vintage watches in general. It's happy sitting in my collection for now. 

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
6/27/22 3:38 p.m.

In reply to Recon1342 :

I like it a lot a lot. It has become my almost every day wear. The parent company that owns Spinnaker owns a number of microbrands that all have really good reviews from watch people including Teddy Baldesarre. They also own Thomas Earnshaw, which look fantastic. I'll be getting some more for sure. 

Gary
Gary UberDork
6/30/22 10:40 p.m.

I  just had one of my early Christopher Ward watches re-strapped:

j_tso
j_tso HalfDork
7/1/22 8:33 a.m.

been wearing my 6139 "Retro Racer" all week, another ebay find from a few years ago. edit: date was corrected after I saw the photo

I feel like it should've been a Roger Moore Bond watch.

Gary
Gary UberDork
7/19/22 2:15 p.m.

Not what I'm wearing, and probably not something I would buy, but I found this interesting:

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
7/19/22 3:43 p.m.

I celebrated getting promoted to Supervisor with yet another new watch, an Earnshaw automatic mechanical:

It's completely see-through.

I'm in trouble with the wife though! 

yupididit
yupididit PowerDork
7/19/22 4:33 p.m.

In reply to Javelin :

Nice! I was looking at the Faraday and Berts models but the reviews made me hesitant. 

How is the craftsmanship and the feel of the hardware/material?

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
7/19/22 9:37 p.m.

In reply to yupididit :

Hardware feel is good. It's bigger, heavier, and chunkier than expected, but not overly so. The band is okay, the clasp is nice but the pins are crunchy. The action is really nice and they snuck a decent sized clockspring in. It's maybe not worth full price, but on clearance at 1/2 off it was good deal. 

j_tso
j_tso HalfDork
7/19/22 11:03 p.m.

In reply to Gary :

Those MoonSwatches were supposed to be available online after the debut, but I guess they figured the scarcity keeps the hype alive.

8 9 10 11 12

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Yl9Cwja9cVLVh3fUt3vAtY60yiwwYWT3to6JOkSw5ipH5QkObNMSqAZEw2fX4Mcl