Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) MegaDork
10/30/22 8:17 p.m.

Let me start this post by stating that I've known this watch for my entire life, and I've never, ever liked it. Not even a little.

It's a Gruen Curvex that belonged to my father. He wore a watch every day, but usually a Timex. He loved "self winding" watches, and only wore this fancy mechanical watch when he and my mother were getting dressed up and going out. 

At some point, it must have gotten dropped and the crystal was broken.

I always thought it was ugly.

By chance, my older brother was contracted to do some work at Gruen back in the late 80s or early 90s, and he asked if they could repair it. Unfortunately, they could not.

Anyway, I ended up with this watch after my father passed away. They're not very valuable, and I almost considered tossing it into my GRM New Year's Game box last year.

And then I noticed the inscription on the back...

Well, E36 M3. It appears as if my mother had given this watch to my father as a Christmas/Engagement gift the year before they got married. 

So it looks like I own this thing forever now.

I did a quick eBay search, and found a new old stock replacement crystal for $50 shipped. I wanted to make sure it would fit. After popping off the caseback to measure the old crystal, I accidentally gave the crown half a turn, and the second hand began moving for the first time in about forty years. And the new crystal should be a perfect fit.

I'm very happy to be the keeper of this ugly old watch.

Gary
Gary UberDork
10/31/22 1:40 a.m.

In reply to Woody (Forum Supportum) :

Woody, great story. Keep the watch and appreciate its heritage.

johndej
johndej SuperDork
11/9/22 5:25 p.m.

Just dug out this old citizen I had picked up 15ish years ago. It had sat in a drawer for maybe 5 of those and battery/capacitor had died. Replaced it with new one and thought for a minute it was too far gone to take a charge again. Luckily the internet told me it needed all the buttons pushed for a factory reset. That got it going again and another 10 minutes got the calendar and date set accurately. Going to try wearing it a few days to see how I like it.

j_tso
j_tso HalfDork
11/9/22 6:22 p.m.

In reply to johndej :

Isn't the Eco-Drive their solar powered line?

johndej
johndej SuperDork
11/9/22 6:34 p.m.

In reply to j_tso :

Yeah it is but still has a battery/capacitor to keep it going. This had sat too long for the sun to revive in a drawer. Luckily the e310 model has a replaceable one as others it bricks the whole movement. 

The Seiko I've worn mostly 

And the Timex I got myself and groomsmen, mine matched the suit but I've considered changing the band up

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
11/9/22 10:14 p.m.
johndej said:

Just dug out this old citizen I had picked up 15ish years ago. It had sat in a drawer for maybe 5 of those and battery/capacitor had died. Replaced it with new one and thought for a minute it was too far gone to take a charge again. Luckily the internet told me it needed all the buttons pushed for a factory reset. That got it going again and another 10 minutes got the calendar and date set accurately. Going to try wearing it a few days to see how I like it.

That's not a Roman numeral 4...  It should be IV

I do love Eco-Drive's though!

j_tso
j_tso HalfDork
11/9/22 11:02 p.m.

In reply to Javelin :

Some do it that way on clock faces because it evenly divides the face into thirds so that four numerals have Is, the next have Vs, then Xs.

procainestart
procainestart SuperDork
11/10/22 10:39 a.m.

In case you need to spend a bunch of time watching a guy restore an old Rolex, this guy makes fascinating videos that are well produced. I know nothing about watches, but the YT algorithm thought I might be interested, and I ended up watching the whole 50-something-minute video:

I don't know why, but I started wearing a watch again this summer, a 2008-ish cheap Timex Ironman that looks like this:

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
11/10/22 2:27 p.m.

Dad's 63 Tudor Sub.

On a NATO band like Mr. Bond.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) MegaDork
11/11/22 7:22 a.m.

In reply to ShawnG :

That's fantastic! Such a great looking watch with so much character.

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
11/11/22 9:04 a.m.

In reply to Woody (Forum Supportum) :

Thanks. It's been through a lot. 

I've had it for about 20 years.

Been wearing it since he passed in August. I think it will be there a while longer.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
12/27/22 1:33 a.m.

The Bulova Lunar Pilot is on sale. I wonder if I could sell enough of my other stuff to afford it before it's off the sale?

https://teddybaldassarre.com/products/lunar-pilot-black-dial-black-strap?variant=32917497741405

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
12/27/22 9:58 a.m.

Good morning, Watch People!

My son received a rather nice Fossil watch for his HS graduation.  Unfortunately, he never wears it because the stainless bracelet does not fit comfortably.  We've done the add/remove links thing, but the links are quite large.  It can be too tight, or too loose, but there is no place where it is comfortable.  Some makers offer half-links, but Fossil does not.  Short of me cutting one of the links in half, removing a section, and welding it back together, what can we do to make this watch fit comfortably?

Or do we just need to put another band on it?  He likes the look of the bracelet, it's just not comfortable to wear.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
12/27/22 10:25 a.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

Can you put an adjustable clasp on the bracelet?

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
12/27/22 10:55 a.m.
Javelin said:

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

Ah!  I see that that is an option.  What's a good source for an adjustable clasp?  I'm poking around on Esslinger as we speak.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
12/27/22 5:36 p.m.
1988RedT2 said:
Javelin said:

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

Ah!  I see that that is an option.  What's a good source for an adjustable clasp?  I'm poking around on Esslinger as we speak.

Maybe Fossil themselves? This is mine:

Hoondavan
Hoondavan HalfDork
1/10/23 11:45 p.m.

I got a new timepiece for Christmas!  I've been kind of obsessing over dive watches for a few months & decided I'd buy a decent watch & let my family give it to me for Christmas.  I rarely spend money on stuff like this for myself.  I was leaning towards a Seiko SKX, but decided the Citizen NY series was a better value.  I've also been wearing a Citizen Ecodrive for the last 20 years.  I like the left-hand crown, so you don't have to worry about it stabbing your hand.  The bezel is one-directional & has a nice "click click click" when you spin it.  

Before deciding to buy this one online I actually bought a fake seiko 5 on facebook marketplace.  The guy said he inherited the collection from his brother and was giving the proceeds to his niece.  He was in his mid 70s and drove a new, but modest car (Hyundai sedan)...didn't seem sketchy.  I was in a rush and didn't inspect it closely enough.  The watch looked nice , felt nice, but the back of the case had a Seiko sticker, not laser engraving.  When I got home I realized it wasn't a screw-down back so I popped  it open.  It was battery-powered, not automatic.  I lucked out because the guy gave me my money back ($60) & claimed he had no idea.  I would chalk it up to an honest mistake...but he still has the watch posted for-sale. I'm guessing he has a bunch of them.  

Product photo of Seiko sport diving watch..SALE 

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
1/20/23 6:24 p.m.

Let's try something! I have a brand new in the box Thomas Earnshaw Caviar Black: https://thomas-earnshaw.com/collections/mens/products/es-8006-05-longitude

The first one I bought randomly broke the power reserve spring within the warrant period and they were really great about taking care of it and replaced the whole watch free of charge. This is that new watch and I haven't even unboxed it. That said, I don't want to keep it because it's not really my style.

Sooo... Who wants to trade a watch for it? It doesn't have to be equal value at all because I know if I try to sell it that it's worth less anyways. I just figured someone here might like it and have something they aren't in love with.

02Pilot
02Pilot PowerDork
1/20/23 8:21 p.m.

I don't normally do non-mechanical watches, but I liked this one when I saw it in the duty free shop on my vacation over the holidays, and my GF bought it for me as a Christmas present. Not a case shape I had previously, and the blue metal mesh band is comfortable, interesting, and works with lots of different looks.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
1/21/23 2:16 a.m.

The watch up for trade (yes it's see through):

dxman92
dxman92 Dork
1/21/23 10:32 a.m.

Cant go wrong with an Ecodrive! I've been wearing the same Casio F91W for the last 10 years or so. It's been put through the ringer and keeps going. I wear a simple military one piece strap on it and swap it out every few years or so.

trumant
trumant Reader
1/21/23 4:03 p.m.

My daily - Oris Big Crown x Cervo Volante

I love the grey face but the two other faces: blue and green are pretty special too.

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
1/21/23 4:14 p.m.

In reply to trumant :

Never paid much attention to Oris but I really like that.

trumant
trumant Reader
1/21/23 4:43 p.m.

In reply to ShawnG :

The Oris ProPilot X Calibre 400 has an incredible case and bezel but modern and on the completely other end of the design spectrum. I'm not a huge Oris fanboi but the Big Crown and ProPilot X would make a stellar one make collection.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
1/21/23 5:03 p.m.

In reply to trumant :

That's really really nice!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Z9pdiRIYZRO3KzKwpFclL3j7sxxy2KhzyEBtRYGEEyHYbtVkvp8INdn7bhT7a8WS