6 7 8 9 10
93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
3/29/22 4:21 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

A Royal Oak or a Patek Nautilus is one of the two high dollar watches I would buy if I won the lottery. The other being a vintage Panerai 6152.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
3/29/22 4:26 p.m.

Modified Vostok Amphibian I put together. Bought a complete 090 case Amphibian, got one of the Amphibian "racer dials", Komdariskie hands, aftermarket bezel and bezel insert and custom rally strap

Needs some polywatch to clean up the crystal

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
3/29/22 4:55 p.m.

That's got a unique look that all works together well, nice work!

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
3/29/22 5:12 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

That's got a unique look that all works together well, nice work!

I was pretty inspired by the Seiko Rally diver but I am not a huge fan of the day/date.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
3/29/22 11:11 p.m.

Success! I nabbed 1 of those 3 you recommended. Let's see how long it takes to get here. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
3/29/22 11:51 p.m.

Congrats! My last one took 17 days. Patience :) 

Drop me a line and we can talk about the mount. 

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
3/29/22 11:57 p.m.

Dad's birthday isn't until December so I've got time! Maybe it'll be early and good for Father's Day.

Slippery
Slippery UberDork
3/30/22 12:56 p.m.

Bought new by my grandfather circa late 40s early 50s.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
3/30/22 4:14 p.m.

In reply to Slippery :

Oh man that is so cool! Beautiful watch and story.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
4/7/22 1:04 p.m.

So a big thing happened this week...

I think this needs it's own thread...

(And yes, it's full)

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
4/12/22 6:14 p.m.

Found a Eos Martin Braun for sale for "cheap". MSRP was around 48K used this one which needs a band, some polish and a serous service is around 4.4K. May pull the trigger always wanted a Braun but wanted a Selene. The Eos was never a option because he made so few of them. To find one local and setup for my sunrise/sunset with the cams is a find. 

Martin Braun "EOS" Sunrise / Sunset Time Automatic Men's Watch in 18K | eBay

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
4/12/22 6:39 p.m.

The nice thing about heavily depreciated high end watches is that their prices are pretty stable, so you can liquidate them. That's my excuse for my Speedmaster. That looks like a pretty interesting device.

On the other end of the spectrum, did you know that Swatch did a 24 hour movement for a short period? I had to pick this up. There's a totally illegible variant (in the way that only 80's Swatches can be illegible) that temps me because it's so wild, but I do dig the space age look too.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
4/12/22 6:49 p.m.

And a few others from the collection. I wore this one while showing off the '85 CRX on the weekend...

Apparently I have a thing for square watches. From left, my grandfather's retirement watch from Birks, a Soviet Poljot and a modern Omologato Can-Am.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
4/12/22 7:14 p.m.
wearymicrobe said:

Found a Eos Martin Braun for sale for "cheap". MSRP was around 48K used this one which needs a band, some polish and a serous service is around 4.4K. May pull the trigger always wanted a Braun but wanted a Selene. The Eos was never a option because he made so few of them. To find one local and setup for my sunrise/sunset with the cams is a find. 

Martin Braun "EOS" Sunrise / Sunset Time Automatic Men's Watch in 18K | eBay

That's a crazy and beautiful thing.

https://fifthwrist.com/martin-braun-eos-review/ 

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
4/12/22 7:30 p.m.

In reply to wearymicrobe :

You should buy that!!

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
4/14/22 7:06 p.m.

Wearing my "Astoria" today (it's actually a Bel Air that our jeweler gets house branded but I like it, US made with Swiss movement).

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
4/19/22 4:19 p.m.

Again with the weird Soviet airplane clocks. This one just arrived from Ukraine and it's a 129 ЧС, or 55M. I'm not sure which is correct.

It's got a 24 hour face but is actually a 48 hour clock with a 1-2 indicator by the 15. Originally intended to change IFF transponder settings in things like the MiG 29, I believe. It's fully mechanical but has some electrical connections inside so it can be used to trigger interesting things. I don't know if I'll do that, but it's a nice 24h desk clock at least. Fairly quiet when running, like the AЧX and unlike the AЧС-1.

Don't mind the flecks of styrofoam.

I can stop anytime I like.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
4/20/22 5:12 p.m.

Mine came!! Unboxing after work.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
4/20/22 5:13 p.m.

In other news, DeTomaso released a limited edition Gulf Oil looking chronograph:

johndej
johndej Dork
4/20/22 6:44 p.m.

This thread reminds me that I saw a bit ago that OMOLOGATO®  came out with a bunch of motorsports themed ones, not that unusual till I saw a VIR edition.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
4/20/22 7:33 p.m.

In reply to johndej :

Oh man, they have beautiful watches! There's a VIR Oak Tree version!

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
4/20/22 8:58 p.m.

My box from Ukraine arrived!

The A4X seems to be in good shape. 

Test fit in Keith's mount shows that there's some set screws on the side that need to be taken out. 

I wound it and it seems to be working! Can't get the chronometer part though. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
4/20/22 9:36 p.m.

Sorry to hear the mount didn't quite fit. Mine didn't have any screws on the side that I recall.

The lower chrono is triggered by the silver button, time of flight is the red one. Red flag means the latter is active, split means paused, white means zeroed. And the second hand is for the chrono, the small dial is minutes. I think you have it working :)

Built a mount for the 55M today. It needs some sort of light display, there are multiple contacts that close at 4h and 12h intervals. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
4/20/22 9:38 p.m.

In reply to johndej :

I've got the Can Am Omologato. It's a good everyday wear, cool looking without being precious. 

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
4/20/22 9:52 p.m.

I figured it out, the original screws on the case are counter sunk. Two of mine have been replaced with incorrect button heads. Just have to get 2 screws and it will fit perfect. 

I had to work the action a couple of times on the silver button to get the Chrono to work. Everything is functional now. It has a pretty audible tick, but pleasant. Hopefully dad loves it. 

6 7 8 9 10

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bitrPbGRBI7osfhpFf9cWysfiQk5XaYaNfCHXFe3e6IAJruvs1lF9PE35i4E3zFv