1 2
drainoil
drainoil Dork
9/7/20 6:50 p.m.

I can't speak to exactly which brands are good but I've read certain trail cameras are decent quality and portability being a selling point if you want to move your cameras around.

BoostedBrandon
BoostedBrandon SuperDork
9/7/20 6:51 p.m.

Wyze looks good, but I'm curious about plugging them in. I like the integration, I like the price. But, they're powered by USB? How am I supposed to power that thing, when it's hanging from the eave of my house?

I like PoE in theory, but I'm still learning about that. I'm not gonna lie that feels a bit overwheming, but if you don't get out of your comfort zone, do you grow at all?

90BuickCentury
90BuickCentury Reader
9/7/20 8:40 p.m.

I prefer wired camera systems, which are a little harder to install but much lower maintenance in the long run generally. We have 2 systems at work that both use the EZview app. They have been pretty good so far. Can view on my phone or from a PC or direct from the DVD with monitor.

Also, I am not a tax advisor or lawyer, but if your wife's business needs more security, then maybe her home-based business can purchase an office security camera system to write off her taxes?

Boost_Crazy
Boost_Crazy HalfDork
9/8/20 3:06 p.m.

I just added a few Ring cameras to my house. They were cheap ($85 ea. for outdoor cameras) and easy to install. I would have loved to have done a wired system, but with a two story house on a slab, not easy to run new wiring. A big plus for the wireless- it opens up completely new options for camera mounting. With wired cameras, you usually mount to the building and end up with a compromised view. With the wireless, I could mount them where ever I wanted, and found I could cover a lot more with them off of the house. I did need to add a WiFi extender to reach the front of my house, but I really needed that anyway. 

einy (Forum Supporter)
einy (Forum Supporter) Dork
9/8/20 4:01 p.m.

Received my first Wyze Outdoor camera plus base station three weeks ago, setup flawlessly (as did the regular Wyze cameras also in use years ago), and it just works.  Rechargable battery powered.  Three weeks in on initial charge, and still shows 85% charge.  You need a base station that stays inside and gets hardwired to your modem, one base can work with up to four cameras.  Base plus first camera cost $60 including shipping.  Additional cameras are $40 each including rechargable battery.  Highly recommended.

BoostedBrandon
BoostedBrandon SuperDork
2/9/21 6:16 p.m.

Zombifying my old thread.

In true BoostedBrandon fashion, I did some research and planning, and then did nothing. I am the king (or maybe jester) of procrastinating. Drives my wife crazy.

So, has anything changed for you guys in the four months since this was first published?

yupididit
yupididit PowerDork
2/9/21 6:19 p.m.

Anyone using Arlo?

APEowner
APEowner Dork
2/9/21 8:19 p.m.

I've been researching this lately as well and I've been finding the process only slightly less frustrating than mattress shopping.  In my mind the most important part of the system is the camera image quality, particularly in low light conditions, since that's when most of the crime takes place, and I'm having a hard time finding comparisons that cover that.

If I can only get the kind of grainy images that my neighbor's camera captured when my trailer was stolen then it's not worth the time and money to install them.  

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YPA8M48ipjjeh5omTIBjggAe10eZssMsOUQ7EFxUKkPSPcpI2xWtVIcHp9w2PCWn