1 2
Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar New Reader
8/26/09 8:30 p.m.

I've been soaking all this in and doing some homework too. Plus my wife is here to reel me in from time to time.

Reframing is out of the question. Thought about that on and off a few times today and how I could squeeze that in but not going to happen.

I made several calls today looking into QuietRock, Roxul, etc. Nobody around here stocks any of that. My contractor buddy can get the QuietRock from his drywall supplier but it's special order and $41/sheet.

At this point I'm thinking R13, make sure all the outlet openings are well sealed, maybe doubling up the drywall, and using adhesive between the drywall and studs. I think that will give me the best bang for the buck. But DeadSkunk's lead lined walls is an interesting idea.

The house is a 45 year old rancher. I'm not expecting to make a dead silent room. Just want to see what I can improve while the walls are ripped open.

Last night my wife chased me out of the room and told me to go work on the Daytona. Other than it needs to get inspected by the end of the month I think that was her way of getting me to back off the room project a little.

Per, I hadn't considered packing peanuts but now I'll make sure any that come in the house get tossed as soon as possible.

And 914Driver, well we'll just take your recommendation under advisement.

-Rob

(Edited for too-tired typos)

thedude
thedude Reader
8/26/09 9:09 p.m.

Try some gratis, it's been thrown around a lot in this thread.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
8/27/09 12:39 p.m.

Good plan.

I'm thinking the lead idea will likely exceed the cost of QuietRock many times over.

It will, however, also offer excellent resistance to kryptonite.

mad_machine
mad_machine SuperDork
8/27/09 3:48 p.m.

radio station I worked for... we had decoupled walls, floors, and ceilings in the studios.. not to mention a VERY heavy lead lined door, angled and doubled windows, and heavy carpeting and eggcrate like foam on the walls...

you could kill somebody in one of those rooms and nobody would have heard the screams

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar New Reader
8/27/09 9:33 p.m.
thedude wrote: Try some gratis, it's been thrown around a lot in this thread.

Dude, you lost me.

I was going to use the carpet until the Nihilists peed on it.

-Rob

NYG95GA
NYG95GA SuperDork
8/27/09 10:44 p.m.

It did tie the room together.

Sometimes, there's a man....

sachilles
sachilles Reader
8/28/09 10:46 a.m.

R13 in the wall, 1/2" rigid insulation over the studs, and sheetrock over that.

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar New Reader
8/28/09 7:02 p.m.
sachilles wrote: R13 in the wall, 1/2" rigid insulation over the studs, and sheetrock over that.

So are you suggesting the rigid sheet of insulation over the studs instead of a second layer of drywall as was suggested earlier or splitting the rigid insulation and capping the studs?

-Rob

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
K9pwK2XwwgobUWtP4L69kgpe9ylIQxmmFXoTqBBPPdLbLlFMYmCll3nUfZoyHqsp