1 2
Otto Maddox
Otto Maddox Dork
10/20/11 9:26 a.m.

I get in the mood for horror movies this time of year. While I was painting over the weekend, I watched my favorite series -

Evil Dead

Evil Dead II

Army of Darkness

What are some other favorites?

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
10/20/11 9:29 a.m.

Does Army of Darkness count as a horror film?

My personal favorites Psycho and Silence of the Lambs

Duke
Duke SuperDork
10/20/11 9:34 a.m.

I bought a DVD with about 50 B- and C-grade horror movies from the '50s and '60s on it for like $10 or less. Nothing beats good Italian- or Spanish-made horror films from the late '60s.

Last year we watched a bunch of them in the living room while doling out the treats on Halloween. Our favorite was The Bloody Pit of Horror. Yep, that's Mariska Hargitay's father in the mask and tights.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo Dork
10/20/11 9:41 a.m.

I've been watching Chiller, the new cable channel. Corny as hell and I love it. Some Twilight Zone and Outer Limits to boot. Absolutely spectacular.

mrhappy
mrhappy Reader
10/20/11 10:01 a.m.

Most of living dead series is always good.

CGLockRacer
CGLockRacer HalfDork
10/20/11 10:02 a.m.

Dead Alive: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0103873/

Halloween (Rob Zombie version)

House of 1000 Corpses

16vCorey
16vCorey SuperDork
10/20/11 10:02 a.m.
Duke wrote: I bought a DVD with about 50 B- and C-grade horror movies from the '50s and '60s on it for like $10 or less. Nothing beats good Italian- or Spanish-made horror films from the late '60s. Last year we watched a bunch of them in the living room while doling out the treats on Halloween. Our favorite was The Bloody Pit of Horror. Yep, that's Mariska Hargitay's father in the mask and tights.

That's awesome. I've got an OK collection of B horror movies, but I wish I had more. If you haven't seen "Frogs", it's Sam Elliot at his finest.

Otto Maddox
Otto Maddox Dork
10/20/11 10:07 a.m.

In reply to CGLockRacer:

I actually watched House of 1000 Corpses and The Devil's Rejects last week. I like the first one. It is kind of campy and fun but still scary to a degree. TDR gets better reviews but it is pretty much just a torture film. And the whole thing is set in sunlight, which kind of kills the mood.

Duke
Duke SuperDork
10/20/11 10:32 a.m.
16vCorey wrote:
Duke wrote: I bought a DVD with about 50 B- and C-grade horror movies from the '50s and '60s on it for like $10 or less. Nothing beats good Italian- or Spanish-made horror films from the late '60s.
That's awesome. I've got an OK collection of B horror movies, but I wish I had more. If you haven't seen "Frogs", it's Sam Elliot at his finest.

I'll have to check out "Frogs". Go root around in the giant DVD bargain bin at Wally World - you'll find these compendium discs with dozens of movies on them for $5-$10.

slefain
slefain SuperDork
10/20/11 10:41 a.m.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Elvira%27s_Movie_Macabre_episodes

Print out that list, check them off as you go.

Keith
Keith SuperDork
10/20/11 10:56 a.m.

For the car guys: The Ghost of Dragstrip Hollow. Absolutely terrible.

I miss the Lost Drive-In.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
10/20/11 10:58 a.m.

Basically any recent monster stuff - I like the older stuff Like Creature From the Black Lagoon and Bella Lugosi too, but those are fun at any time, this is some of what I like at Halloween, in no particular order but that in which my fuzzy mind was able to bring it forth:

1985 - Silver Bullet - Garey Busey and Corey Haim 1987 - The Monster Squad - Absolutely no one of importance 1981 - An American Werewolf in London - Umm...Frank Oz? 1994 - Interview With the Vampire - Brad Pitt and Tom Cruise 19949 - Mary Shelleys Frankenstein - Bobby De Niro and Helena B. Carter 2000 - Dracula:2000 - Gerard Butler 2007 - 30 Days of Night - Josh Hartnet 1999 - Sleepy Hollow - Johnny Depp and Christina Ricci 2010 - The Wolfman - Benicio Del Toro, Anthony Hopkins, Emily Blunt 1987 - The Lost Boys - Kiefer Sutherland, Corey Haim

...And dot get me started on Zombie flicks...

EDIT ...IMDB must have caught onto my hotlinking and wagged the finger of denial at me

Otto Maddox
Otto Maddox Dork
10/20/11 11:13 a.m.

I just watched the Lost Boys as well as the sequels. I don't know if I'd call the sequels good, but they weren't nearly as bad as I thought they would be.

corytate
corytate HalfDork
10/20/11 12:52 p.m.

dario argento's complete works
the nightmare on elm street boxed set
the first few halloween movies, and h20

Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
10/20/11 2:11 p.m.

cardiacdog
cardiacdog Reader
10/20/11 2:15 p.m.

Original Halloween hands down for me. That music scared the crap out of me...course I was about 10 at the time.

Otto Maddox
Otto Maddox Dork
10/20/11 2:16 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed:

Maximum Overdrive might be the least scary movie ever. I still like Christine.

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
10/20/11 3:42 p.m.

My personal go-to:

It's got everything--sex, drugs, comedy, gore, Rory Calhoun... and sausage. What's not to like?

Margie

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt SuperDork
10/20/11 4:11 p.m.

For genuinely scary, it's hard to top Silence of the Lambs - although Javier Bardem's character in No Country for Old Men comes close. Neither is "traditional" horror, but they're good if you want the crap scared out of you. Some other favorites: The Crow and, if you like old silent movies, Nosferatu.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
10/20/11 4:18 p.m.

Yeah.

I watched this.

CGLockRacer
CGLockRacer HalfDork
10/20/11 6:51 p.m.
4cylndrfury wrote: 1987 - *The Monster Squad* - Absolutely no one of importance

I forgot about this movie! The first PG-13 movie I ever saw without parental supervision!

Zombie movies?

stroker
stroker HalfDork
10/20/11 8:54 p.m.

Alien.

/thread

hotrodlarry
hotrodlarry Reader
10/20/11 9:04 p.m.

Cabin Fever

Final Destination ( all of 'em)

Stephen King's "It"

Amityville Horror

The Shining

Childs Play ( all of 'em)

Otto Maddox
Otto Maddox Dork
10/21/11 8:37 a.m.

In reply to hotrodlarry:

Even Bride of Chucky?

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
10/21/11 9:22 a.m.
MadScientistMatt wrote: For genuinely scary, it's hard to top Silence of the Lambs - although Javier Bardem's character in No Country for Old Men comes close. Neither is "traditional" horror, but they're good if you want the crap scared out of you. Some other favorites: The Crow and, if you like old silent movies, Nosferatu.

really? The Crow? I hope you just mention it in this thread b/c its set during Halloween. Its an EXCELLENT movie, IMO, one of my favorites!But scary, it is not.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rbQPw8KYJ9ivzlY3q5TdVgOvvDosHBAfK51GXQHoQMOEIvXCvta2uqmn3MJ7WRGF