bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/18/19 12:55 p.m.

Work decided to let me loose on the world apparently. They're sending me and a co-worker with some marketing and sales people to the TMC conference in March. Other than training, this is my first out of state work thing. I know it's no big deal, but I still am excited! 

Anyone else here in the trucking business going? I know we're a pretty diverse group so I figured there may be a better chance than not someone else will be there. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
1/18/19 1:18 p.m.

Have fun! Your first work trips are always a good time. Conferences are new, free swag, etc.

I'm now at the point where I dread work trips and conferences especially. But at least I get to rack up the miles and hotel points. 

GTXVette
GTXVette SuperDork
1/18/19 3:39 p.m.

'Come on Down, Keep us Informed About When, March Is A month We Some times Get Really Nice Weather or REALLY Crappy Weather, Like 30 deg. And Raining.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider SuperDork
1/18/19 3:39 p.m.

Don't open up Craigslist while in Atlanta.....You may not need the return flight. Not heading to ATL this Q. I'll be Miami for that time. Enjoy...It's fun when it's all new :) 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/18/19 6:17 p.m.

Buy a hooptie on CL and hoon the E36 M3 out of it for a couple of days.

GTXVette
GTXVette SuperDork
1/18/19 6:23 p.m.
Appleseed said:

Buy a hooptie on CL and hoon the E36 M3 out of it for a couple of days.

Hell Yea  R A and A M P are less than an Hour Out of Town, Seems like some event is happining about then

barefootskater
barefootskater HalfDork
1/18/19 6:27 p.m.

I'm going to ATL in march too! Visiting some friends who promised "It'll be biblical." We'll see what that means.

lnlogauge
lnlogauge Reader
1/18/19 7:18 p.m.

Rule 1 of visiting atlanta. Don't call it hotlanta. 

Do you have your hotel booked? The hotels around the convention center are pretty rough. Your best bet is staying north, but that requires a rental car. The aquarium is amazing, and close by. Skip the world of coke. Plenty of restaurants to choose from, and beers taste better when someone else pays for it. 

itsarebuild
itsarebuild Dork
1/18/19 7:43 p.m.

Porsche experience if you can swing it. Forget the rental car.... Lyft (and less good Uber) can get you anywhere and there are so many you won’t wait long. 

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
1/18/19 7:45 p.m.

Daddy dz's bbq, if they still exist, had the best ribs ove had pn the east coast. 

Aquarium was awesome. I really dug the underground. Ex girlfriend x2 live there.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
1/18/19 7:52 p.m.

My Atlanta business trip story...

I was a middle manager for the new cell phone company, Boost Mobile.  About 6 of us were in town for a week getting new retailers set up before the product launch expanded to Atlanta. 

The crazy part of the trip was that one night I was a group of 4 guys (lead by an Atlanta local) heading to a strip club.  More importantly, a downtown, hip-hop strip club.  The real surprise was "the culture".  This guy from Ohio was pretty amazed.   I had a great time!  

This club was rather notorious but I confess that 12 years later I can not remember the name of the club.  

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle SuperDork
1/18/19 7:59 p.m.

Magic City?

84FSP
84FSP SuperDork
1/18/19 8:06 p.m.

Likely Cheeta Lounge... A friend told me about it....

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
1/18/19 8:21 p.m.
OHSCrifle said:

Magic City?

Some google search of photos makes for sure that it was Magic City.  In 2006, in Atlanta, "the Crunk was strong!"  

There ya go Bob, my recommendation is Magic City.  

itsarebuild
itsarebuild Dork
1/18/19 9:11 p.m.

Avoid underground. Unless your a history buff and want to take a docent tour. In which case it may be fascinating.  The aquarium IS awesome.. yes skip work of coke.

I agree reed with the earlier post about staying in midtown.airport area kinda sucks. Midtown has all the amenities for pretty much 24/7. And getting to the convention center is easy by lyft and possible by mass transit (Marta to the airport, airport rental car tram to the convention center) its how I get there....

What kind of stuff do you like? That will help with the advice....

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
1/18/19 9:19 p.m.

Google says the TMC conference is at the World Congress Center, which puts it in walking distance of the Aquarium, CNN, Football HoF, MARTA, etc., and my office. ;)

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy UltimaDork
1/18/19 10:58 p.m.

Go to the Aquarium.

Eat at The Vortex. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/19/19 7:38 a.m.

Booked at the cnn Omni. Won’t be much time for site seeing unfortunately. Monday is conferences all day and tues is tradeshow and then flight home that night. Sunday night will be my only “free “ time as we have the ceo along for this. 

Furious_E
Furious_E SuperDork
1/19/19 8:38 a.m.

I was just there in November for the Fabtech show, which was also my first trip to Atlanta. Coworker and I stayed in an Air BnB near the Georgia Tech campus, which seemed like a pretty nice spot to be.

There's a lot of stuff right around the World Congress Center - the aquarium (which was undergoing some renovations, FYI), College Football HoF, Mercedes Benz Stadium, and wherever the Hawks play are all within like a block or two. I didn't  have much time to sight see either, but we did get into a free event at the College Football HoF. It was cool to see for free, but I don't know that I'd pay the $20-30 or whatever it normally costs to get in. There are a few good bars close by as well, although I don't remember names.

We had a rental car, but only because we had to make a side trip about an hour out of town while we were there. Aside from that and the drive from the airport, the car remained parked - and actually had the gas siphoned out lol. Uber is definitely the way to go though, traffic is a cluster berkeley and parking isn't super convenient. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/19/19 4:11 p.m.

I’ve been driving through Atlanta since I can remember. Stopped a few times over the years.  It’s not a huge draw for me personally. I’m just glad someone else is paying!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
x7WkknHghsasGLpDnDFmD4mOraQ4w1lM9U1cil6keHhfIL3e7Nb3V3FtbseffIJR