1 2 3
Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
3/3/19 7:04 p.m.

Apparently not bad enough because they are tempting me again.

Namely this one. It's been on Craigslist and FB for the last couple of months and the price is getting down into my temptation zone. 

This is a Harkers Island work boat. Used for crabbing, lobstering, and such. My grandfather had one when I was a kid  that we used as a day boat for fishing and cruising. I've always loved this style hull. This particular one is 25' and has a 350 Chevy engine in it.

I'm scheduled to go look at it in the next day or so. 

I might have a new toy in the next couple of days. 

Floating Doc
Floating Doc Dork
3/3/19 7:17 p.m.

Will you keep it on the trailer, or in the water? I'll concede, I also think it's a good looking boat. I have owned 5 boats, all fiberglass.

Wood boats need a lot of attention and it really just depends on how you prioritize your time.

For the asking price, I would consider a survey unless you really are confident of your ability to spot problems. Even if the running gear is sound, you can spend a lot more than the cost of the boat if there's a problem with the hull, stringers, etc. unless you're willing to do the work yourself.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/3/19 7:27 p.m.

A wooden boat will make an airplane look cheap. 

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
3/3/19 7:28 p.m.

I've owned a bunch of boats. Built a few, rebuilt a few. The work wouldn't be too difficult, not that I don't have enough projects in my life.  It will be staying on a trailer. Leaving that in the water would be a maintenance nightmare. 

The price has gotten down to $4k. I'd still have to spend some time going over it with a tap block, but that's getting pretty cheap for around here. 

frenchyd
frenchyd UltraDork
3/3/19 7:42 p.m.

In reply to Toyman01 :

I’ve owned wood boats and I love them.  I want to buy another.  

Here’s the truth, Wood boats if properly maintained last

I bought a 1948 Chris Craft 18 ft Rivera.  When I did it was already nearly 50 years old.  I loved that boat.   When circumstances forced me to sell her I vowed to buy another.  

Yes I spent an average of 30-40 hours a year sanding and varnishing the brightwork.  The other maintenance time is normal on any boat. 

Floating Doc
Floating Doc Dork
3/3/19 7:57 p.m.
Toyman01 said:

I've owned a bunch of boats. Built a few, rebuilt a few. The work wouldn't be too difficult, not that I don't have enough projects in my life.  It will be staying on a trailer. Leaving that in the water would be a maintenance nightmare. 

The price has gotten down to $4k. I'd still have to spend some time going over it with a tap block, but that's getting pretty cheap for around here. 

Four thousand doesn't sound bad, and it seems like you know enough to make a wise decision (okay, so never mind the "wise decision", we're talking about buying a boat here). 

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
3/3/19 8:00 p.m.

I've looked at that CL ad. I'm constantly cruising the boat ads here in the SE. Watching values and dreaming g a little.

Is your treasure barn big enough to park her inside? Seems like that would knock down the maintenance significantly. The idea of running an old V8 as a true inboard appeals to me but  I might be crazy.

What's displacement on that thing?

Woody
Woody MegaDork
3/3/19 8:24 p.m.

I worked for a yacht maintenance company for about four years, and I wouldn't touch a wooden boat at any price, unless it was a Cris Craft, Garwood, or Riva. Or perhaps a PT.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/3/19 9:34 p.m.

If I remember correctly, there are no surviving early WWII PT boats. 

Woody
Woody MegaDork
3/3/19 9:44 p.m.

Back in the early 90's, there was one docked at Norwalk Cove Marina. It had been converted into a private yacht. The rumor was that it had been owned by Sinatra at one point.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
3/3/19 9:48 p.m.
Appleseed said:

If I remember correctly, there are no surviving early WWII PT boats. 

Back in the early 90's, there was one docked at Norwalk Cove Marina. It had been converted into a private yacht. The rumor was that it had been owned by Sinatra at one point. It was in the water the last time that I saw it. I suspect that it may have been PT-615, or maybe PT-724.

Wally
Wally MegaDork
3/3/19 10:08 p.m.

There are three or four PT boats in Kingston, a museum there is restoring one of them.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks UltimaDork
3/3/19 10:35 p.m.

I'll support your decision either way.

I used to think it would be fun and cool (and possible) to build a wooden boat.  Then I changed my tune and thought it would be better to just restore an old factory-built wooden boat.  Then I realized I was delusional.

I love boats.  Someday I want to live on/near water where boats are more a part of the every-day lifestyle (and my wife and I are reminded of this desire every summer when we're in your neck of the woods...Folly Beach, to be exact).

mtn
mtn MegaDork
3/3/19 10:58 p.m.

Never had a wood boat, but looked into it. I guess they leak like crazy until the wood has had a chance to expand from the water. That’d drive me nuts. 

Crxpilot
Crxpilot Reader
3/4/19 12:20 a.m.

My father built his first wooden boat at age 12-13. He’s now 68 and has been “messing about in boats” that whole time.  He “dailys” (dailies?) a Carolina skiff out of New Bern but loves to build, repair and try to sell wooden boats and has won awards for his builds at the wooden boat show in Beaufort.  Let me know if you’d like to get in touch with him. He’s a good resource.

Antihero
Antihero Dork
3/4/19 1:03 a.m.

The common knowledge about wooden boats is if you want to buy one, look into a cheaper habit....like cocaine.

I imagine a cheap wooden boat would be like buying a cheap Lamborghini , sure its possible to make it work but do you really, really want to?

frenchyd
frenchyd UltraDork
3/4/19 1:07 a.m.
mtn said:

Never had a wood boat, but looked into it. I guess they leak like crazy until the wood has had a chance to expand from the water. That’d drive me nuts. 

Regarding wood boats, Depends on construction method. One method called the West method never leaks unless it has a hole or other flaw in it.   Other methods do require wood swelling to stop leaking but those boats also have self bailers that bail out the water with any forward movement of the boat.  

A bilge  pump  takes care of any water that seeps in while the boat is at rest. Wooden boats existed long before there was any other way to cross oceans or explore the world. 

No construction method is perfect Steel,wood, aluminum etc all have issues.  But only wood boats ride as comfortable, look as beautiful, and are as quiet. 

sleepyhead
sleepyhead Mod Squad
3/4/19 2:29 a.m.
914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
3/4/19 6:17 a.m.

Sailing around Chesapeake Bay with the bride, we stayed up the Severn River one night, anchored next to us was an older couple in a wood Lobster Boat converted to a house boat.  Roof extended out to the transom, sitting on the aft deck with candles and a bottle of wine; that's retirement!

In a good blow, what cuts better than a lobster boat?

Toyman, I feel the tug of the wood boat Siren myself at times, remember that there is no such thing as a 10 minute job and wood does not heal with a good night's sleep.  Of course you have to show pics later. 

This keeps me awake at night.

GTXVette
GTXVette SuperDork
3/4/19 6:24 a.m.

I Love That.

There is a P T in Key West, Engines converted to Diesel.

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
3/4/19 8:02 a.m.

In reply to 914Driver :

I saw that Chesapeake last night. That is a beautiful rig. It's also very tempting, but more than I want to spend on a project. 

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
3/4/19 8:09 a.m.

This is another very tempting vessel. She needs a fair amount of work and getting it hauled down here would be rather expensive. 

https://norfolk.craigslist.org/boa/d/urbanna-35-deadrise-yacht/6824098551.html

frenchyd
frenchyd UltraDork
3/4/19 8:22 a.m.

In reply to Toyman01 :

Now that is something I could really get interested in.  

Have you checked Boneyard Boats?  Those are wooden boats either for free or nearly free.  Over the years I’ve lusted  after dozens of boats.  In fact I’ve pulled the trigger a few times only to be beat each time by people closer. 

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
3/4/19 8:41 a.m.

In reply to Toyman01 :

Whenever a boat like that catches my fancy, I just take a quick, two mile bike ride down to the local marina where about a dozen similar boats are sitting like that in various states of project purgatory.  

Interesting side note: because the marina is accessed from the Delaware River, the office has US Customs signs out front. 

If I ever finish my current project backlog (Ha!!!) I would like to build a barrel-back replica from plans. 

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
3/4/19 8:41 a.m.

Toyman, that looks like the SS Minnow!

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
h39EHYUOStztHOLomS8b5JRLlaHyg3S0zWbYQZZj0VCESTJ9PPfYNrDcrRz7YXSJ