pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/9/21 12:41 p.m.

I have always like the All4 Clubman, its a neat little 4-door wagonlet thing. I did not know that it came in a 2-door hatch as well. Seems like an amazing all-round daily for me here in the NE. I wonder if it would autocross?

nocones
nocones UberDork
11/9/21 12:44 p.m.

In reply to pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) :

There was an ALL 4 at the event I went to this weekend.  I have no idea how it did but it probably did fine.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/9/21 1:28 p.m.

The Countryman is specifically excluded from SCCA Street category autocross.

I'm not sure how the Clubman in All4 trim compares on the height / track width ratio.

Gzwg
Gzwg New Reader
11/9/21 1:38 p.m.

That's the Paceman

A friend of mine has one, quite nice. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
11/9/21 1:46 p.m.

I find the Mini line up confusing. They all look generally the same. The roadster confuses me too. 

Countryman 

Clubman 

Paceman 

??? 

I know what a country man is and a club man, but Pace man? Is it Pac Man? 

My closest dealers are also 80 and 100 miles away

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
11/9/21 1:48 p.m.

Clubman = long, all4 = awd.

Its normalish mini height and well within the normal range for autocross.  Much less likely to end up on its roof than the Fiesta.

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
11/9/21 2:04 p.m.

Someone will be along shortly, trying to justify their delusion that 4-door cars are just as cool.

SEADave
SEADave Dork
11/9/21 2:27 p.m.

The Paceman has caught my attention as well.  Neat shape, available with AWD and stick.  Only made for a couple of years.   

Apparently the Paceman and Countryman were made in Austria and shared more with the BMW X1 than other Mini's.   Does anyone have any reliability data on these? 

Chris_V
Chris_V UberDork
11/9/21 2:45 p.m.
John Welsh said:

I find the Mini line up confusing. They all look generally the same. The roadster confuses me too. 

Of course they look similar, they are all MINIs. The Countryman and Paceman are the larger (actually about Golf sized) that share a bunch with the BMW X1 platform. The Clubman was the "wagon" version of the MINI Hatchback, so it's a little longer than the normal MINI but shares front sheetmetal with it. The 4/5 door is just a hatchback with 4 doors. The Roadster is the 2 seat convertible, vs the regular 4 seat convertible and shares a lot with the 2 seat Coupe.

of all of them, the Roadster is my favorite and the one I specifically went out to buy. Mine is a fully optioned JCW:

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
11/9/21 2:50 p.m.

JCW Belt line kit Mini Paceman R61 Blackout De-chrome Premium Beltline Kit

Holy forking shirt balls they made a JCW of this abomination.  

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
11/10/21 8:26 a.m.
ShawnG said:

Someone will be along shortly, trying to justify their delusion that 4-door cars are just as cool.

ojannen
ojannen Reader
11/10/21 8:28 a.m.

The paceman would make an interesting rallycross car.  It is too tall for autocross unless you lower it.  At that point, it doesn't make much sense over the regular mini unless you want awd.

Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter)
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/10/21 8:31 a.m.

In reply to Chris_V :

I've always liked the R58/R59 Coupe and Roadster.  Pity they don't do them anymore.  How much room is there behind the front seats in the Roadster with the top down?  Room for two dogs?

Wife has an R54 Cooper S Clubman All-4, love it, such a hoot to drive, although  I'd have preferred a JCW.

Chris_V
Chris_V UberDork
11/10/21 11:18 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to Chris_V :

I've always liked the R58/R59 Coupe and Roadster.  Pity they don't do them anymore.  How much room is there behind the front seats in the Roadster with the top down?  Room for two dogs?

No room for dogs. The space behind the seats is identical with the top up or down, however. The big addition is that it's got a rather large trunk, which the top doesn't take up, even though it folds down above it. The top is pretty slick and simple.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
11/10/21 12:13 p.m.
ShawnG said:

It's not a car, it's a crossover.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
11/10/21 12:16 p.m.

I'm a bit confused.  The Clubman is not at all a crossover.  The Paceman is kinda.  I see people discussing the Paceman, but the OP says its a Clubman.

travellering
travellering HalfDork
11/10/21 12:32 p.m.

It was my understanding that the Paceman was produced more or less as a homologation special for the Dakar Rally Minis to be able to be 2 door vehicles.

Chris_V
Chris_V UberDork
11/12/21 2:38 p.m.
ProDarwin said:

I'm a bit confused.  The Clubman is not at all a crossover.  The Paceman is kinda.  I see people discussing the Paceman, but the OP says its a Clubman.

No, the OP says he always liked the Clubman (though I think he meant Countryman), but didn't know about the 2 door Paceman (which is a 2 door version of the Countryman). The Countryman and Paceman are the same size as, and really sit in the same market space as, the 2 and 4 door Golfs. They're really not that large. You COULD say they are both small crossovers, but it's a gray area. Sad thing is that MINI is introducing a much larger variant. Hoping that the counter it with a smaller standard MINI than the current standard MINI Hatch (which now seems likely).

red_stapler
red_stapler SuperDork
11/12/21 9:46 p.m.
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) said:

I wonder if it would autocross?

We were both at an autocross where someone ran one.

http://www.nhscc.com/2017/20170507/2017-5-7/index.htm

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
11/12/21 11:42 p.m.

My un cool 4 door.  

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qNOoPE2hfgEOA6caaVHEZfyJzlIUlVLpVjfcncSvv1DcoTCs3EBAao06ccc8EtEZ