1 2
1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
3/10/20 10:55 a.m.

Well, what's working now is a long piece of board about 12" wide laying across the fenders.  I'm kneeling on a piece of plywood supported by two sawhorses at the front of the truck.  Allows me to lay over the engine and get my head and hands near the distributor. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Dork
3/10/20 10:59 a.m.

I use a step stool if I need to work on my FJ Cruiser. However, given its Toyota quality, it really needs nothing. Yawn.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
3/10/20 11:22 a.m.
mr2s2000elise said:

I use a step stool if I need to work on my FJ Cruiser. However, given its Toyota quality, it really needs nothing. Yawn.

That's fair, but your Toyota is not quite the 35 years old that this truck is....

And I've owned this truck since 1999 and the fact that I've not encountered the need to be substantially under the hood before now says something.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Dork
3/10/20 11:27 a.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

Quite agree. Our other Toyota truck on the farm is only 20 years old, so not quite where you are up in age with yours. I wonder what dealership techs use for the higher vehicles? I will ask a friend next time I see him

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
3/10/20 11:28 a.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

It's pretty wide, and I'm pretty big, and haven't fallen off the thing yet. It's much more stable than a step ladder, that's for sure. I may add some grip tape sections to the top though for the inclimate weather wrench sessions. It basically runs the length of the front end of my truck, from door to bumper.

The one I have is this one: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gorilla-Ladders-55-in-x-14-in-x-30-in-Aluminum-Heavy-Duty-Adjustable-Height-PRO-Slim-Fold-Work-Platform-with-300-lbs-Load-Capacity-GLWP-55A/302159317

Bought it on sale last year for under $100.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
3/10/20 11:31 a.m.

I remember we had a discussion about top-side creepers some time ago. A pro wrench commented they had one at the shop and it was constantly in the way and nobody ever used it.  Personally, I've thought they look like they would work well, but I never had the opportunity when I had trucks.

For the my '78 F-150 4x4, I would climb inside the engine bay, but I was much younger and more flexible back then.  Plus, the hood clammed over the top of the fender and there was a lot of bare metal to sit on.  I used to see guys mount small tool boxes under the hoods of those trucks. 

For the '95 Cummins, I usually stood on one of the drive-on ramps my ex- had or an upside down 5 gallon bucket.  If I kept that truck, I might have eventually bought one of these.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
3/10/20 11:47 a.m.

It's time for lunch break!  Old distributor is out.  I still have all my knuckle skin, but I did tear my shin up in a stupid "hop off the sawhorses forgetting you left a bucket there for a step" maneuver.  I may have cussed.  It's bruised and oozing a bit of blood, but definitely just a "flesh wound."

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
3/10/20 12:18 p.m.

I've pulled the front tires and set it down on blocks of wood before. 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
3/10/20 12:46 p.m.

Shoot!  Guess I should have worked through lunch.  Currently experiencing a "rain delay."

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill PowerDork
3/10/20 12:49 p.m.
1988RedT2 said:
Hungary Bill said:

I used to do it something like this:

I think that guy is smaller than me.  I will need a hardhat to keep from racking my head on the underside of the hood.  It makes my knees hurt just to see that. 

That's me in my younger days (a whoppin 10 years ago).  6' and about 150lbs with my boots on, soaking wet.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
3/10/20 1:00 p.m.

I've been building car dealerships and shops for the past 6 years. 

Topside creepers have a big footprint, and I've never seen one in use. They sit in the corner taking up lots of space.  

Looks to me that the pros choose to never use them. 

Saron81
Saron81 Reader
3/10/20 1:10 p.m.

An old seat cushion pad and cover on top of the core support is pretty good to lay on. 

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
3/10/20 1:18 p.m.

I have a 8" tall by 24" square SS platform that I picked up at a auction, that I use when needed. My truck is a good bit shorter than most of what is on the road today so it is seldom a problem.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
3/10/20 1:25 p.m.
Hungary Bill said:
1988RedT2 said:
Hungary Bill said:

I used to do it something like this:

I think that guy is smaller than me.  I will need a hardhat to keep from racking my head on the underside of the hood.  It makes my knees hurt just to see that. 

That's me in my younger days (a whoppin 10 years ago).  6' and about 150lbs with my boots on, soaking wet.

I can do that in my 78 C10, NOT in the 06 Sierra 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
3/10/20 1:53 p.m.

Well, I've got it stabbed.  Pretty sure it's right.

The initial thrill of working in a light rain with gale force winds wore off pretty quickly.  I have no immediate need for the truck, so I will move the wires over to the new cap and plug it all back together tomorrow, weather permitting.

I did find several bits of old vacuum hose that needs replacing...

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
3/11/20 10:58 a.m.

It runs! 

Playing with the timing, doing some overdue maintenance, and finding and replacing cracked vacuum lines.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hyIER1aqXXvBIXoyqzti1o1Fgk2ZqqLVkfe30H7PMATDUsOJ7SW01gpoiEiMlOYC