1 2 3

If you had asked me that yesterday, I'd have said maybe $2000. Our current dogs came from the pound and cost $100 each. I thought that was ridiculous at the time. 

Well, that's a question I had to answer this morning. We were about halfway through streaming the Easter service when a cousin informed me her child had run over my dog with their 2300 pound Kubota diesel side by side. This after they had been asked to not fly through the yard because of the dogs.

Maddie was walking and standing without issue so I didn't think any bones were broken but her abdomen started swelling instantly and rapidly. That meant internal injuries and probably serious ones. I honestly didn't think we would make the 40-minute drive to the ER vet without her dying on the way but we had to try. By the time we got there, she had calmed down some. The swelling had stopped progressing and her breathing was normal. So she was at least stable. 

The vet saw her and determined she had a hernia and her small intestine and bladder were pushed through the hernia. Major surgery was required and quickly. The cost was estimated at $4300 to $6800. My first thought was no way. That's insanity to pay that much money for a dog. I mean, it's just a berkeleying dog. I can pick up another one at the pound for $100. 

I seldom make emotional decisions. I have to sit down, set aside the emotions, and crunch the numbers. Will the value outweigh the cost. How much is your dog worth. Our last dog ended up with cancer at 18 years old. Chemo was going to cost $3000+ dollars and he would probably have died anyway. At best we would buy another year or two before old age claimed him. He was an awesome dog but he was put to sleep to save him the pain and to be brutally honest, me the cost. Man, I loved that dog but I still made that hard choice.

Maddie is 8, she can expect to live another 10-12 years. Is she worth $7000. At first, brutal honesty says no. Dogs are cheap and can be replaced on a whim. The SPCA is full of unwanted dogs. I should tell the vet to put her to sleep and move on. And as hard as that choice was, that's what I told them to do. While they were preparing to kill her, we spent Maddie's last few moments with her. 

I had to ask myself again, how much money is a dog worth to me? Cold hard dollars. 

It dawned on me, I have spent thousands of dollars on inanimate objects for moments of enjoyment. What is it worth to have 15 pounds of fur and meat jump up on my lap and give me a hug every day when I come home. 

Apparently, it's worth more than $7000.

20180715_105936.jpg

PS: We just got a preop update. She has 5 broken ribs, some liver, and pancreas damage as well as a possibly detached bladder. They are starting surgery now. 

Even if you can't say a prayer, send some thoughts to my little dog. She's going to need it. 

stafford1500
stafford1500 Dork
4/4/21 4:25 p.m.

Hoping for a speedy and full recovery. One of our dogs had knee surgery, TWICE. We paid and he was happy and fave us lots more love for the rest of his life.

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
4/4/21 4:26 p.m.

Dogs are more family then people, I won't publicly post My feelings with regards to the responsibility or lack thereof as it pertains to your cousin their monitoring of their children, or lack there of. 

There's a reason that attorneys exist, sometimes it's to put value on things, sometimes it's to hold people responsible for their actions or lack of being responsible leading to negative actions occuring, even without malicious intent, this is likely one of those times. It's also a rare time that the hive is not in a position, unfortunately, to respond to your inquiry. I hope the pup pulls through, and recourse will be far beyond the cost of medical treatment if it does. 

​​​​​

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) UberDork
4/4/21 4:35 p.m.

Having been so close to incidents like this so many times, I sometimes find it a little overwhelming to reply. All I can say is best of luck. I hope she recovers fully, and the responsible parties step up.

03Panther
03Panther SuperDork
4/4/21 4:43 p.m.

Since you don’t need advice on if you should sue or not... and America already has too much of that...

Ii will offer all my prayers to your family member - cause that’s what she issmiley

In  85, making about 8 bucks an hr, I spent 300 on surgery for a girlfriends cat. If you had told me that a year before, I’d have told you you’re nuts. But that cat and I bonded, ant that’s worth a lot!

I don’t know how I’d draw the line today. But it be damnd high!

i wish y’all all the best

secretariata (Forum Supporter)
secretariata (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
4/4/21 4:58 p.m.

Hoping for a full & speedy recovery!

johndej
johndej Dork
4/4/21 5:02 p.m.

Damn, hoping Maddie recovers and continues her nice happy life with you guys. I hate that you've had to deal with it and yeah hope the cousin steps up in some way.

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
4/4/21 5:07 p.m.

We have Care Credit for moments like this. Makes the financial hit easier. We have greyhounds. 2/3rds will be diagnosed with osteosarcoma. Will still adopt them. Not cheap. We don't have children. No one here to run over anybody. But dogs, and any pet really, is more than just property. We consider their quality of life, age, and then cost. Would you do it for a child? I was pleased to see you decided to save your pooch. May she recover fully and bite the kid that ran her over. You made the right decision as far as I am concerned.

As to the lawsuits and such, I'm not that stressed over it and won't pursue it that far. It was an accident caused by a child that didn't know that actions have consequences. If she learns from this and it saves someone's life later I'll call it money well spent.

Also, this is my deceased uncle's family and at the end of the day, family is more important to me than money. The girl that was driving was a great-grandaughter and her parents don't have that kind of money. We will have a discussion about who should be driving that kind of equipment and where they should be driving it at the next family meeting.

I have spent more money on stupider stuff. I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. At the end of the day, it's just money. 

Best wishes to you and yours. 

Hard to put a dollar amount on an entity that is glad to see you every single time, no matter what.

This was the day she came home from the pound. She was a spur-of-the-moment decision. We intended to adopt one dog and my wife had picked Napoleon. I jokingly asked the SPCA employee if they had quantity discounts. Turns out they didn't but we brought her home anyway. Too cute to say no to. She is no longer a timid little girl. She knows who rules the world. 

IMG_20150430_210313.jpg

20201225_194044.jpg

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) MegaDork
4/4/21 5:24 p.m.

In reply to Toyman01 (Moderately Supportive Dude) :

Thinking of you and Maddie.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
4/4/21 5:29 p.m.

I'm giving my dogs a hug on your behalf!!!!  All the best to you and your family and that family includes Maddie. 

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) UberDork
4/4/21 5:33 p.m.

I'm glad you made the choice to get her surgery.  Happy thoughts and mojo sent her way.

BenB (Forum Supporter)
BenB (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
4/4/21 5:33 p.m.

Best wishes to Maddie and your family.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) MegaDork
4/4/21 5:37 p.m.

Get well Maddie.

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) UberDork
4/4/21 5:41 p.m.

Also answering the question posted about value......you don't.

People tend to forget that money is incredibly easy to get compared to the precious things that money can't buy. You can get another job, get a loan, win the lottery or rob a bank to get more but you can't get more time alive, and more time with loved ones no matter what. There is no bank of life.

My dog that I lost in 2020 was my family, and I go to all extremes to protect my family. I spent whatever was needed at the time, drove 90mph to get him to a vet, hand fed and watered him to try to save him and went without sleep for days. He was 14 and I knew it was close to the end anyway but I'll be goddamned if I won't give my family my all.

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/4/21 6:02 p.m.

Stay strong, Maddie!

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) UberDork
4/4/21 6:02 p.m.

Care Credit does allow you to spread out the cost of emergencies. Insurance is available for pets too.

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing SuperDork
4/4/21 6:31 p.m.

I'm terribly sorry that your dog is injured. I hope that she makes it.

I recently lost my cat, Jack.  I spent literally thousands of dollars on him in his lifetime for injuries he had when I found him as a stray and very recently while he was battling renal failure.  I would have gladly spent several thousand more dollars to have another year with him. 

If I were you, I would burn that side by side to the ground right before I kicked somebody's ass.

The surgeon called.

The hernia is repaired and the small intestine back in place. There was no bladder damage, nor did he see any other major organ damage. There is extensive bruising but she should be good to come home tomorrow or Tuesday. She will come home with an abdominal drain that will stay in for a week. So it's still touch and go but the news is better than it could be. 

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing SuperDork
4/4/21 6:36 p.m.

Very happy to hear this.

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
4/4/21 6:36 p.m.

I'm not sure where the value limit is for Chewie, I don't think I could find it when needed.  I'd sell a car for him.  Best of luck to the puppers, I lost both cats in Feb due to age and health.  I just adopted a new 1.5yr old guy yesterday, still getting him relaxed.

11GTCS
11GTCS HalfDork
4/4/21 6:41 p.m.

Glad to hear there’s some hopeful news. I’ll say a prayer for Maddie, she didn’t ask for this and I’m glad love won over “logic” whatever that is.   She’ll know you did the right thing, you can’t hide things from dogs, they know.   Give her a treat from all of us when that’s appropriate. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/4/21 6:44 p.m.

Dogs are tougher than E36 M3. We humans often forget that. We should never test it, but it's there. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6nlvI0Ybj0k8k1H9ppgpdyMBOsVxFrX93sGS1X4hf8JO6cATWn1JDWzoDxRmZ9nH