1 2
dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
10/19/22 2:20 p.m.

I purged a while ago but then my brother brought back my complete archive of Make Magazine. Ugh! I hung on to GRM because me and my friends are in there. Some time I'll go through and cut out the articles and photos of us and ditch the rest. That's about #10,000 on the list. I really respect Toyman and his like that can just get rid of this stuff. I sure don't need it.

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
10/19/22 2:48 p.m.

In reply to dculberson :

We moved in the middle of a house renovation. Moving boxes of books multiple times makes the purging of stuff almost easy. Keeping the books that were actually important made it easier. 

Now I can keep most of the books in my pocket. I have 350 of them on my phone and GRM comes as a digital copy. 

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UltraDork
10/19/22 4:57 p.m.

If anyone has a stash of 3wheeling  / ATV Sport  magazine I know someone who will take good care of them :)

or other ATC or Quad magazines ......

solfly
solfly Dork
10/19/22 7:14 p.m.

I have a bunch dating back to the 1980s. Everything from hot rod to fourwheeler to mini truckin to import stuff. I've been into a wide variety of vehicles since birth. It would be fun to post some covers in here.

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
1/22/24 3:33 p.m.

Another sad day for old-school media: C&D drops to 6 issues per year.

docwyte
docwyte UltimaDork
1/22/24 3:55 p.m.

In reply to Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) :

Their issues were barely 80 pages.  Honestly if I didn't have my office, I wouldn't bother with continuing to subscribe to them, R&T etc.  Sports Illustrated laid off all their staff and looks like they're going under.  What a shame, SI used to send out 4 issues a month...

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
1/23/24 12:00 a.m.

I've sometimes wondered if anyone subscribed to SI outside of doctor's offices and barber shops.

Duliad
Duliad New Reader
1/23/24 1:00 a.m.

In reply to solfly :

Hi thought Id mention here...Looking for Sport Compact Car magazine issues from 1996. Anyone looking to sell. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/23/24 1:07 a.m.

In reply to RX Reven' :

I do subscribe to affordable flying, but its called Sport Aviation.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
1/23/24 8:49 a.m.

I have a bunch of various magazines, from old gaming stuff like Nintendo Power, Game Informer, and EGM, to all sorts of car magazines, like Car Craft, Hot Rod, High Performance Pontiac, Sport Compact Car, and of course GRM. The only one I still subscribe to today is GRM. As a writer, I look back all the time on the old stuff for inspiration, especially the ones from my formative years. 

I am also going to be doing a "Great Purge" of my own very soon; we are getting close to the end of our house rebuild, and as soon as that's done, the garage rebuild happens. And in that garage is years and years worth of stuff I have to go through, magazines included. I'll be thinning the herd a bit and keeping the ones that mean more to me than the others. 

The thing that's unfortunate is that print media is endangered, and there are no guarantees that online media archives will have all the stuff you would want to see (here excluded, of course, thanks to GRM+). They might exist for a while, but could disappear at any time as corporations cut costs. 

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
1/23/24 9:00 a.m.

I had a nice collection of GRM for a long time. Lost a lot of them in a divorce and the rest were lost by movers going from Orlando to LA. I haven't purchased a magazine outside of GRM in a long time. They are nothing like they used to be. I used to lust for the day each month new magazines dropped to get the latest buzz on the car, racing, video gaming, or racing industry. It's sad where things have gone. I've purged myself from all social media too and it seems that's where everything is directed these days vs. even a website. 

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
1/23/24 9:07 a.m.

I had boxen and boxen of C/D, R&T, Motor Trend, GRM. I got rid of 99% when I moved. I kept some full years from the 60's, and any mags any of my cars appeared in. Other than that, I gave them away, and recycled the rest. It was hard.

docwyte
docwyte UltimaDork
1/23/24 9:27 a.m.

I used to keep magazines.  Now I read them and toss them.  There are some I wish I'd kept, I recently was able to pick up a C&D collection and cherry picked the ones I wanted, then gave the rest to a friend.  Sort of wish I'd done that with the European Car magazines and SCC's I had...

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
1/23/24 10:39 a.m.
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) said:

Another sad day for old-school media: C&D drops to 6 issues per year.

I wish I considered that bad, but C&D was a bad magazine when I canceled it 15 or so years ago.  Even when I knew  some of the writers.  They had become comparison only articles, and their bias against US made cars was pretty pathetic- the cars generally did well in the objective tests only to finish last due to random subjective reasons. 

Their downfall has been inevitable.  And since R&T is the same magazine run by the same people, when will they drop to the other 6 months?

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/23/24 10:46 a.m.

my FIL runs his local AmVets hall, and he takes all my old car mags for the hall.  the only issues i keep are the ones with my cars in them.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9nXDwaLsPdhpZaLc3xN73vhGMZRLLqZs5WYY5q7ix0yNH41mtQcyP76FQ8icPVvq