1 2 3 4
frenchyd
frenchyd UberDork
6/20/19 1:45 p.m.

In reply to Cooter : That love a dog gives is the hardest to loose.  

Don't be afraid to ask for some help from your doctor,  self medication with alcohol is probably your worst choice. 

jfryjfry
jfryjfry Dork
6/20/19 3:26 p.m.

Praying for ya Cooter. As well as each of the people you mentioned.   Any one of those would be tough to navigate, much less all of them.  

Wish I was closer to come by and work on the project of your choosing. 

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle SuperDork
6/20/19 8:26 p.m.
frenchyd said:

In reply to Cooter : That love a dog gives is the hardest to loose.  

Don't be afraid to ask for some help from your doctor,  self medication with alcohol is probably your worst choice. 

Said he doesn’t drink alcohol back on page 1. 

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy UltimaDork
6/20/19 8:46 p.m.

I can't do much to help, other than to echo what others have already said.

That is a big load to carry. Too big.  It sounds like you're being realistic about it and not trying to tough it out. We're here for you.

Cooter
Cooter UltraDork
6/22/19 5:04 a.m.

Got some good news yesterday from my daughter. It's a small first step, but one that has to happen before she can start to heal.   I am incredibly hopeful.  I also get to spend the weekend with her, which is always good for both of us.

We have a group home set up for my wife's sister, and a possible location for her mom.   Her dad is settling in back in his home.  I hope when I am in his position, I can manage one tenth of the grace and stoicism he has shown through all of this.   

I still have at least another elephant to eat concerning my own family's situation.  I can't get them to get their wills written out, nor can I even get them to organize any of their financial records so that we can figure out how to care for my mother when my dad passes away.  I'm probably going to need some catsup on this, and a glass of water...

yupididit
yupididit UltraDork
6/22/19 5:28 a.m.

Congrats on your daughter's progress. 

I hope everything works out in the most positive possible way per the situation. I am here for you as well. 

Also, I love how supportive and positive GRM is. 

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
6/22/19 5:30 a.m.

In reply to Cooter :

Glad to hear there's some improvement. Still praying for the rest of your situation and loved ones.

Are you available July 6th or 7th? That's the weekend of the build party at Patrick's. If you can get to Indy, you can ride along the rest of the way with me.

The wrenching and socializing would do you good to take your mind off things for a while.

imgon
imgon HalfDork
6/22/19 6:08 a.m.

Good to hear there is some improvement,  take care of yourself and keep reaching out. We all need a little help sometimes,  life can be overwhelming and it is comforting to know we have friends that support us. Hope the rest of your issues will work themselves out in the near future. 

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia HalfDork
6/22/19 9:47 a.m.

I just went thru a probate where there was no will......no fun and then the lawyers take a big chunk and can make your life h*LL , 

Just be happy to get one thing done at a time , you are doing a good job from what you have posted ,  

Good luck and try and find a little time for yourself

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
6/22/19 9:56 a.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

Grant me the serenity to accept what I cannot change.

The courage to change what I can.

And the wisdom to know the difference.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/22/19 10:13 a.m.

Small bites, my friend.  With many small bites, you can eat the ass off an elephant. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
6/22/19 11:30 a.m.

Cooter, do you mind me asking what facilities your relatives are at? And what is going on with your daughter? I unfortunately can sympathize too well with you on that front.

Also available for a bite/coff—err milkshake or something. Not too far from Oak Lawn-hell, Rosangelas is one of my favorite pizza joints. 

Cooter
Cooter UltraDork
6/22/19 2:20 p.m.

I'm trying to keep some privacy for them, especially my daughter.  The inlaws were at Manorcare in Palos.  My MIL still is at this point.   My FIL is back home, and trying to learn to walk unassisted again. (and upset at his progress)   My parents are living at hoe still.  My dad has been in the hospital (Christ) several times in the past year, and in Manorcare across the street from the hospital.  

I'd really rather not get into the specifics of my daughter on a forum. 

Meeting up with other gearheads really apeals to me at this point.

Cooter
Cooter UltraDork
6/22/19 2:34 p.m.
Indy-Guy said:

In reply to Cooter :

Glad to hear there's some improvement. Still praying for the rest of your situation and loved ones.

Are you available July 6th or 7th? That's the weekend of the build party at Patrick's. If you can get to Indy, you can ride along the rest of the way with me.

The wrenching and socializing would do you good to take your mind off things for a while.

My wife and I are hoping to get up Sault Ste. Marie on the 3-5th.  We went up there with a freshly bought '73 Imperial with her kids 8 years ago, and fell in love with the ships passing through the locks, the small time charm, and the 4th of July parade with a bunch of tractors, local marching bands, and a total of 2 Shriners in little cars.  We tried to go back every year, but gave up doing it when we were trying to start our Mid Century Modern resale business.  Now that we let that go, we both really need to get away for a bit.  We saved up for this, but the vet bills may crush that.  We're doing our best to keep that from happening.  I've been to Patrick's before, and if possible, may try to stop by "on the way" back.  I'll see how things go.  I appreciate the offer.

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
6/22/19 4:06 p.m.
Cooter said:

I'm trying to keep some privacy for them, especially my daughter.  The inlaws were at Manorcare in Palos.  My MIL still is at this point.   My FIL is back home, and trying to learn to walk unassisted again. (and upset at his progress)   My parents are living at hoe still.  My dad has been in the hospital (Christ) several times in the past year, and in Manorcare across the street from the hospital.  

I'd really rather not get into the specifics of my daughter on a forum. 

Meeting up with other gearheads really apeals to me at this point.

July 5-6 if you find something to pick up this way there will be a decent sized grm contingent hanging at my place.

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane SuperDork
6/24/19 12:40 p.m.

If it would help out, I'm certain that I and a few others would sponsor getting the backup camera installed in the Prius. 

There's 3 car audio places within 2 blocks of where Google Maps drops the " Oak Lawn, Il " pin :)  Let me know and we'll pass the hat around.  

It's a small thing, but it'd be off your plate.

Cooter
Cooter UltraDork
6/24/19 9:27 p.m.

It's much appreciated, but we are okay for now.   My FIL can afford the camera, and he has to make sure he will be able to drive first.   He has a couple weeks before he can be cleared to drive again, and has to build up his strength.  I am an electrician, and installing the camera is one of the few things that I really feel is in my wheelhouse where I can make a confident contribution when the time comes.   Everything else just feels like I am flailing away, hoping to get things right.

Robbie
Robbie UltimaDork
6/25/19 10:39 a.m.

I have a coupla challenge cars that are gonna need some serious wrenching time over the next few months. I'll try to post when I'll be out there working so if you are available you can stop by!

Stampie
Stampie PowerDork
6/25/19 1:24 p.m.

In reply to Cooter :

Mid century modern eh. I wanna sit down with you some day. 

Cooter
Cooter UltraDork
6/25/19 1:58 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

I think we probably have a lot to talk about.

Cooter
Cooter UltraDork
6/25/19 1:59 p.m.

In reply to Robbie :

That is a great idea.  You are probably the easiest local to get to, as well.

RealMiniNoMore
RealMiniNoMore PowerDork
6/25/19 7:19 p.m.

Good to see you still posting, and that things are kind of straightening out for you, if only just a little. 

Antihero
Antihero SuperDork
6/25/19 8:05 p.m.
WonkoTheSane said:

If it would help out, I'm certain that I and a few others would sponsor getting the backup camera installed in the Prius. 

There's 3 car audio places within 2 blocks of where Google Maps drops the " Oak Lawn, Il " pin :)  Let me know and we'll pass the hat around.  

It's a small thing, but it'd be off your plate.

I know Cooter said it's ok but if this does need to happen, I'm in for a share

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
6/25/19 8:18 p.m.
Cooter said:

In reply to Stampie :

I think we probably have a lot to talk about.

Stampie is super cool if you've never met him in person. I think anyone could talk to stampie about a lot of stuff. 

Cooter
Cooter UltraDork
7/2/19 12:02 a.m.

So the cancer is back in my FiL.  Spread in his arm, lung, and lymph nodes.  The doctors said he needs Chemo.  He doesn't want to.   Spent a lot of time consoling my wife.   It's his choice; he doesn't have anyone to take care of anymore, now that we have found places for his wife and daughter.  I think he was just hanging on to take care of them.  We'll do our best to make whatever time he has left as comfortable as possible.    I always want to fix everything.  There's no fixing this.   My wife still wants to take the Michigan trip this week.  She needs it.  

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cekWBsM41Ry6sXK93wK7paNIr6OSN93wfKerSBRQICaMLOOoBlsuYaBkzt5ne6SP