2 3 4 5
Brokeback (Matt)
Brokeback (Matt) HalfDork
3/20/22 8:00 p.m.

no video (wish I owned a dash cam at the time) but I had someone come to a complete stop right as the on-ramp merged into the freeway....still not really sure why although there were cars coming.  

I was in an 89 ford aerostar (first car, it had a manual!) and basically skid to a stop behind the person, had maybe a foot to spare.  I was pretty sure I was going to hit them the whole time I was braking.  

They proceeded to sit there, stopped, and I went around them and did my best to merge from 0-65 as fast as I could in a junky aerostar (3.0 vulcan motor) with a slipping clutch.

I'm not sure I would ever actually call someone's bluff on merging into me - but I usually drive junky enough cars that people get out of my way. 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
3/20/22 8:56 p.m.

So, I have a question:

I am driving down the road and someone coming from the other direction makes a very clearly illegal left turn in front of me.

I can stop before hitting him, I even have a video showing that I have time and room.   I run into him.  As noted, an avoidable collision on my part.

What are the legal / fault implications?

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones Dork
3/20/22 9:07 p.m.

In reply to aircooled :

You will be found partially at fault

SKJSS (formerly Klayfish)
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) PowerDork
3/20/22 9:54 p.m.
aircooled said:

So, I have a question:

I am driving down the road and someone coming from the other direction makes a very clearly illegal left turn in front of me.

I can stop before hitting him, I even have a video showing that I have time and room.   I run into him.  As noted, an avoidable collision on my part.

What are the legal / fault implications?

It depends on the details, but anywhere from a minor/moderate contributor to majority.  The state you are in will determine how that applies to the claim.  

As a side note, EDR data is starting to play an increasing role in making better decisions.

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
3/21/22 3:58 a.m.

Pretty sure this horse has been beaten sufficiently enough, geez people. 
I'd love to know the outcome, but I suspect we wont. If the OP is found partially at fault and posts that here, the dog piling will be relentless. If he's found totally in the clear and posts that, he'll be told he's lying. 
 In reply to Bobzilla, this forum ain't what it used to be 20 years ago. It's becoming just another place on the internet. 

yupididit
yupididit PowerDork
3/21/22 8:11 a.m.

In reply to DrBoost :

Nothing is going to stay the same after 20 years lol. 

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
3/21/22 8:17 a.m.
yupididit said:

In reply to DrBoost :

Nothing is going to stay the same after 20 years lol. 

You're right. It's just sad, the changes have not been for the better.  But it's better than Facebook (for now?) LOL. 

yupididit
yupididit PowerDork
3/21/22 8:33 a.m.

In reply to DrBoost :

In the time I've been here it seems to have gotten better. Some of the obvious bigots have seemed to have faded away. Much more comfortable place to post. 

dps214
dps214 Dork
3/21/22 8:37 a.m.

You keep saying we're dog piling as if he doesn't deserve it. The more concerning internet trend to me is people posting things only wanting to be told they're right, and not willing to be told they're wrong (or an shiny happy person) or accept constructive criticism.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
3/21/22 8:44 a.m.

In reply to yupididit :

Yeah I agree we had problems 20 years ago too just a different kind.

pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/21/22 12:16 p.m.

I am of the opinion that letting jerks like that drive like jerks only emboldens them to do it more. Good for you for putting them through the inconvenience and the cost of fixing you car.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
3/21/22 1:53 p.m.
dps214 said:

You keep saying we're dog piling as if he doesn't deserve it. The more concerning internet trend to me is people posting things only wanting to be told they're right, and not willing to be told they're wrong (or an shiny happy person) or accept constructive criticism.

Ah yes, the "Tell me what you think of my build! No haters"

RX Reven'
RX Reven' UltraDork
3/21/22 2:48 p.m.

I suffer through making the 118 E to 405 N freeway exchange in Southern California every M-F.  BTW, it never looks like this...I'm sure they choked off traffic for the shot.

I'd give myself about a 3 on the 1-10 Road Rage O-Meter scale but if the person in front of me leaves a big gap, easily three, sometimes as many as six cars will sneak in.

You should hear me going off "GO YOU PILLOW BITING, DOOR MAT PIECE OF BERK...IF YOU ENJOY BEING A BOTTOM SO MUCH, GOOD FOR YOU BUT LEAVE ME OUT OF IT"

Back when I had my RX-8, I could easily smoke around them but now that I'm only packing a 2.0L n/a with a six speed auto, I just yell.

Vertical aerial view of Interstate 5 and Route 118 freeway ramps and  bridges in the San Fernando Valley area of Los Angeles, California Stock  Photo - Alamy

jharry3
jharry3 Dork
3/21/22 3:23 p.m.

I don't know where  you are but this is a feature of driving in Houston.   If someone can merge into the large space behind  you or the small space in front they go for the small space almost every time.   It leads to confusion when I slow down to let them in instead of trying to block them, which is the usual reaction to this arrogance.  They think its some kind of trick.

APEowner
APEowner SuperDork
3/21/22 3:23 p.m.

I'm not great at this grown up stuff but isn't part of being an adult not lashing out at every person that tics us off?  I admit that part of me likes the idea of what the OP did but my largely suppressed, more mature side, thinks that kind of behavior is a slippery slope.  If I was going around running into every idiot that cut me off, or ran a stop sign or red light or turned in front of me I'd be hitting someone pretty much every day.  That just seems like something to avoid.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/21/22 3:42 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

Was that the scetchy 3 wheeled certain death kart?

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
3/21/22 4:07 p.m.
Appleseed said:

Was that the scetchy 3 wheeled certain death kart?

Half the new members on rx7club for the past ten years.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/21/22 4:48 p.m.

So...same thing.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
3/21/22 7:42 p.m.
RX Reven' said:

I suffer through making the 118 E to 405 N freeway exchange in Southern California every M-F.  BTW, it never looks like this...I'm sure they choked off traffic for the shot.

I'd give myself about a 3 on the 1-10 Road Rage O-Meter scale but if the person in front of me leaves a big gap, easily three, sometimes as many as six cars will sneak in.

You should hear me going off "GO YOU PILLOW BITING, DOOR MAT PIECE OF BERK...IF YOU ENJOY BEING A BOTTOM SO MUCH, GOOD FOR YOU BUT LEAVE ME OUT OF IT"

Back when I had my RX-8, I could easily smoke around them but now that I'm only packing a 2.0L n/a with a six speed auto, I just yell.

Vertical aerial view of Interstate 5 and Route 118 freeway ramps and  bridges in the San Fernando Valley area of Los Angeles, California Stock  Photo - Alamy

I have a merge on my way home from work where I have about a quarter mile between where the road I am coming from merges with the other, and where my exit to the left is. Usually I have to jump in somewhere in a conga line of tailgaters.

BOOOOOOOOOOOST *brake* merge.

Sucks but at least it seems like people in Cleveland respect that you gotta do what you gotta do to get to where you gotta go.

lnlogauge
lnlogauge HalfDork
4/6/22 3:30 p.m.

DrBoost said:

I'd love to know the outcome, but I suspect we wont. 

Since you asked. 

As I said before, my insurance sided with me, and said it was his fault. His insurance took another week to decide it was 50/50. I didn't allow room for him to merge, and made no effort to let him in. I think they were hoping I'd say okay and move on. I argued what I've said on this forum, and sent the video of the space behind me where he could have merged. Wasn't expecting their decision to change to be honest, but 2 weeks later I got this. 

On another note, I'm dealing with personal stuff in my life right now that puts me about a 0/10 on the care scale.  This isn't my normal personality, or my normal driving habits. I didn't expect him to continue driving into me, or I would have made more of an effort.  Dealing with all of this while at a personal low was not the ideal move. Added stress was something I don't need right now.  

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
4/6/22 4:02 p.m.

In reply to lnlogauge :

Nice outcome. I'm sorry about the rest of life getting ugly. I would have expected this outcome, frankly, but with the pile-on, I just stayed out.

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
4/6/22 4:24 p.m.

Good for you!!  Understand, I didn't say I didn't think we'd get an outcome because you'd lie or avoid it. I just figured either way you'd be made the villain. I'm glad it came out that way. Good for you. Maybe he learned something. 

SKJSS (formerly Klayfish)
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) PowerDork
4/6/22 4:43 p.m.

yes.  Glad it worked out well for you.

lnlogauge
lnlogauge HalfDork
4/6/22 4:45 p.m.

In reply to DrBoost :

I really appreciate that. I misunderstood the way you said it, but now that you clarified I see how I read it wrong. 

In reply to tuna55 :

The pile on made me step away from this post, as well as posting anything else here. I have no problem with people disagreeing with me. Tell me your side of things, why you think I'm wrong. that's fine. Realize that your opinion is an opinion, and move on.  Calling me a douche, a shiny happy person, and if I don't agree with the people callling me that, I'm an shiny happy person. This thread was anything but civil.  

lnlogauge
lnlogauge HalfDork
4/6/22 4:46 p.m.
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) said:

yes.  Glad it worked out well for you.

The 18 posts from you in this thread telling me how wrong I am, make me question how genuine that is. But thanks. 

2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rBonhSfSYYqx5bljDbjaVaYEQjicCvSRsBUvKVul7ebDRzR68iV4Kon11SWJl1QD