Enyar
Enyar HalfDork
4/15/13 10:36 a.m.

So I bought a boat around a year ago that's a POS but had a really nice motor. The sole reason I bought it was for the motor, so I could put it on my good boat. Well now the time has finally come for the motor swap so I put the boat on craigslist for basically what the trailer is worth. I've been really clear that I don't think the boat is seaworthy and it needs a lot of fiberglass work. Problem is a bunch of people are calling me and saying they want to use it to take their grandson fishing or use it as a tender in case their other boat sinks. I really really really don't want anyone to take this thing out and then get in trouble because they didn't know any better. Other than showing them all the problem areas and things that need attention, what can I do to cover my arse when they come back in a week after creating an artificial reef?

fromeast2west
fromeast2west Reader
4/15/13 10:40 a.m.

Is there a boat equivalent to selling a car 'for parts'?

I sold a very beat 240 a few years ago and created a bill of sale that listed some the cars key issues and stated that it had other potential issues that would require a professional to resolve that that could impact the cars reliability and safety. It went on to say that the car was being sold 'as is', and 'for parts' only.

I think as long as you disclose what you know in writing and recommend they seek professional advice before using the boat, you've covered your bases.

fritzsch
fritzsch HalfDork
4/15/13 10:41 a.m.

As is where is, no warrant explicitly expressed or implied?

ClemSparks
ClemSparks PowerDork
4/15/13 10:44 a.m.

The answer is:

Shotgun!

For real, this time. Fill it with $10 worth of holes from your implement of choice.

Or...drop it off at the landfill (like I did in a similar case one year ago) for maybe a bit more than the ammo would cost.

Clem

Strizzo
Strizzo UberDork
4/15/13 11:10 a.m.

you can pay like $50 to leave it at the landfil like Clem said, or when you sell it put the wording about "no warranty expressed or implied, sale as-is, where-is" in the bill of sale. make a copy for your records of the bill of sale and keep it in case they come back when their POS sinks.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy UltimaDork
4/15/13 11:12 a.m.

Sell the trailer separate and list the boat in the freebies section as "firewood"

failboat
failboat SuperDork
4/15/13 11:14 a.m.

+100 on a bill of sale detailing all the problems, use at your own risk, etc.

print 2 copies, have them sign both, keep a copy for your records.

Enyar
Enyar HalfDork
4/15/13 11:24 a.m.

Sounds good, I'll just make a fancy BOS. Can't use it as firewood since it's fiberglass and I would much rather get cash then pay $50 to leave it at a landfill.

Plus, the previous owner named it Cirrhosis of the River and with a name like that she belongs in the sea.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
4/15/13 11:25 a.m.

You sign both, have the buyer sign both, cut along dotted line and keep your half in the tool box.

15 April, 2013

Sold, As-Is on this date: 1968 Whatdahel fibberglass boat. VIN # 1234678,

for the sum of One Hundred Fifty Dollars ($150.)

Seller: ______

Buyer: ______

15 April, 2013

Sold, As-Is on this date: 1968 Whatdahel fibberglass boat. VIN # 1234678,

for the sum of One Hundred Fifty Dollars ($150.)

Seller: ______

Buyer: ______

slefain
slefain UltraDork
4/15/13 1:26 p.m.

Your ad is wrong.

"For sale - DIY artificial reef. Great for attracting game fish. Shaped like a boat to confuse the fish and make them come towards your fishing boat. Slow sinking design allows for easy and accurate placement. Includes transportation trailer. Not for use as a personal floatation device."

I work in marketing, I process lemons all day long...

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH UltimaDork
4/15/13 1:34 p.m.

^LOL!

JoeyM
JoeyM MegaDork
4/15/13 1:38 p.m.
slefain wrote: Your ad is wrong. "For sale - DIY artificial reef. Great for attracting game fish. Shaped like a boat to confuse the fish and make them come towards your fishing boat. Slow sinking design allows for easy and accurate placement. Includes transportation trailer. Not for use as a personal floatation device." I work in marketing, I process lemons all day long...

/thread

Enyar
Enyar HalfDork
4/15/13 2:46 p.m.
slefain wrote: Your ad is wrong. "For sale - DIY artificial reef. Great for attracting game fish. Shaped like a boat to confuse the fish and make them come towards your fishing boat. Slow sinking design allows for easy and accurate placement. Includes transportation trailer. Not for use as a personal floatation device." I work in marketing, I process lemons all day long...

Awesome! I had already mentioned the self filling live wells and saltwater washdown system but I think people thought I was serious.

stroker
stroker Dork
4/15/13 7:48 p.m.
ClemSparks wrote: The answer is: Shotgun! For real, this time. Fill it with $10 worth of holes from your implement of choice. Or...drop it off at the landfill (like I did in a similar case one year ago) for maybe a bit more than the ammo would cost. Clem

I'm surprised you didn't suggest "Boathenge" from Coopers Landing...

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7ZuDIO0hUQHe2p6V04E8zl13xverLQTukKdFphek2VcgGd4uzSVxfhlc0tq6ML81