G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man SuperDork
10/9/16 6:11 p.m.

Step 1: Remove the lower rear seat cushion by firmly tugging upwards on it’s leading edge, then pop it in the trunk.

Step 2: Lay your preferred covering over the rear seatback face and tuck in the edges. If you have a center shoulder belt, make sure to tuck the covering behind the path of the seat belts.

Step 3: Remove the bike wheel(s) and put the bike(s) in the back, using the seatbelts as tie-downs (if you have three shoulder belts, make sure you pull them all the way out so that when they retract, they lock into position and hold the bikes in place). After the bikes are secure, toss in the front wheel(s), helmets, and anything else you may want to take on your cycling trek.

Removal is pretty much the opposite of installation, except you have to push the rear seat bottom cushion in towards the back of the car before and while jamming down hard (firmly isn’t enough, you have to really put your weight on the cushion).

Just as a note, cruiser bicycles with curved handlebars are a little trickier when it comes to fitting them through the door openings, and you may have to remove the handlebars in some cases. Other than that, you’re pretty much golden. I’ve tested this with a road bike, the mountain bike pictured, and the aforementioned cruiser bicycle, and all three fit well once the front wheels were removed. I could even fit two mountain bikes in at the same time, although three would have been quite tight.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
10/9/16 6:45 p.m.

If you remove the front wheels, you can stand two bikes up in the back of a Honda Fit.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/9/16 6:49 p.m.

With the big red wrench, I can fit a mountain bike in my motorcycle backpack. Assembly it infinitely more difficult.

petegossett
petegossett UltimaDork
10/9/16 7:02 p.m.

As a kid with full-size Fords, we'd stand our freestyle bikes upright in the trunk with the front wheels hanging out over the back bumper. With the bars all turned 45* the same direction we could pack 5 or 6 in there, then bungee the trunk lid shut to hold them in.

Brian
Brian MegaDork
10/9/16 10:00 p.m.

I kept a Walmart 700 SS in the backseat of my neon for a summer. 15mm for the front wheel, 10mm for the brakes, hex key for the seat. I admit that a couple quick releases and linear pull brakes would have made it a tool less operation.

Hell, I carried it home intact in the neon by folding down the front seat as I didn't have any tools on me at the time.

novaderrik
novaderrik UltimaDork
10/10/16 2:10 a.m.

Seems like a lot of extra work to me: I put my aluminum 26" "Schwinn" mountain bike in the rear seat of my 96 Caprice in the parking lot of walmart after buying it by merely flipping the wuick release lever and taking the front wheel off.. that same bike fit in the back seat of my 97 Cavalier, too, so getting it in my Caprice wasn't really all that impressive.

Are Crown Vics really that small inside? Never got to ride in the back seat of one..

Furious_E
Furious_E Dork
10/10/16 7:38 a.m.

I once fit two basically complete parts bike for a dirt bike project in my Volvo 850 sedan - just kept disassembling until everything fit.

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
10/10/16 7:50 a.m.

Bolt one of these on the roof to make it even easier. Just toss the front wheel inthe trunk and drive away.

PeterAK
PeterAK Dork
10/12/16 10:58 a.m.

The bike doesn't just fit in the trunk?

I can put my road bike in the trunk of my Accord. Both wheels come off with quick release levers.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hq1ptpseiTTlv1TtIotSHtqgpzPcTXEFBPjVqXdKtQhgGFzvttqjRhvNbCy7SSsw