1 2
OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle SuperDork
5/25/19 10:10 a.m.

In reply to lnlogauge :

Tremco Vulkem 116 or Dymonic 100. Urethane sealants. Keep them protected from UV. 

https://www.tremcosealants.com/fileshare/literature/Product_Selector_Guide_Sealants.pdf

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
5/25/19 11:34 a.m.
lnlogauge said:

In reply to Patrick :

I wouldn't consider sealing it from the outside to be half assed. Considering silicone is sealing most windows as well as skyscrapers and storefronts, I'm thinking it's a pretty decent solution. 

This isn’t an application for silicone.  It won’t stick to the block and it really won’t stick to the pipe.  Sealing it from the outside isn’t half assed, it’s correct, using the wrong product because it’s cheaper is the half ass part.  

Silicone as a sealant really sucks for things that expand at different rates. It sets, things move, and it tears free.  If i were going to goop it up with something I could get at home depot i’d be more likely to try Quad Max, as it’s very flexible, sticks to everything, and cures in presence of water as well as displaces it.  I have used it for similar situations in emergencies.  But digging is a pain, do it once with the right process and never worry about it again.  

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle SuperDork
5/27/19 5:41 p.m.

Silicone is fantastic when used correctly. Two prepped bond surfaces and a backer rod. Seen it last 30 years between precast concrete and window frames in Atlanta. 

lnlogauge
lnlogauge HalfDork
2/10/23 4:08 p.m.

Strange post to bump. A reminder that my fix has been working for 4 years now with no water leakage. 

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
2/10/23 4:59 p.m.

You can see the gap between the cinder block and whatever is being used as a liner for the hole.  Is the brick just under the pipe full of water? It would appear that the majority of the pipe is passing through one of the voids in the cinder block.

The stain makes it look like the brick might be full of water and the stain around the tube is the lesser of the evils and just an overflow for bricks that are filling with water and draining around where the mold is the darkest. A small hole in the brick while the top is weeping would confirm.

Can drill a hole  into the cinder block cavity and inject some kind of expanding sealer that will fill the void  and seal both inside and outside by virtue of trying to expand out of the block at both sides?

The part that would scare me a bit about that is that the power of expanding foam is pretty high and I have seen it push drywall off the wall. Hate to see a broken brick.

VolvoHeretic
VolvoHeretic HalfDork
2/11/23 2:32 a.m.

I wonder whatever happened and what was the outcome? I need closure.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
2/11/23 6:18 a.m.

So, what happened was that i replaced the gutters, ran piping for tge downspouts, and moved a metric berkeleyton of dirt to change the slope. Hasn't been an issue since. 

Noddaz
Noddaz PowerDork
2/21/23 11:41 a.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

So, what happened was that i replaced the gutters, ran piping for tge downspouts, and moved a metric berkeleyton of dirt to change the slope. Hasn't been an issue since. 

Which is the correct fix!

Glad to hear it is fixed.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qKw7OWQszMaSgCdqvT4uMhirNIgOkMR2Ev19NiLlbvYKlAjYmeIAD2mmoBuTcTS7