1 2
BradLTL
BradLTL New Reader
4/2/10 2:12 p.m.

Just watched Friday practice, and it is sad that we have to hope for rain to bring us an interesting race. Bernie and company are killing the series in the name of competition. Everything they have done to make it a better race has really only made it worse. And since I know Bernie is an avid reader of GRM ( ) I thought I would use the forum to give him some help:

1. Allow refueling, however only gravity based rigs
  2. Very small gas tanks / bags. Based on current spec, I would want the tank to be limited to 25-33% of race distance.
  3. Encourage alternative power / hybrids / KERS. Do not limit usage. This would not only create a competitive advantage on track, but would make the technology relevant to the current world off track.
  4. The bottom 50% of teams (based on championship points) are allowed in-season testing. This should help to improve the competition over the course of the season, allowing more testing to the teams that need it the most.
  5. Allow teams to select the 2 compounds of tires they would like to use at any given track. Or alternatively, allow other tire manufacturers to provide tires (Michelin vs. Bridgestone)
  6. Allow driver adjustable movable aerodynamic pieces. First, why not we have the technology and street cars use them today. Second, this would allow drivers to tune the downforce on their car for traffic and passing situations. Should allow cars to actually overtake on the track.
  7. Allow non-spec engine electronics. Sure provide a spec unit to lower funded teams, but if a team would like to provide their own, let them... it's their car.
  8. Run less street circuits and more / longer race tracks. Spa > Singapore
  9. Require on board starters and cars to start under their own power. This would allow cars that "lose flame" to restart and continue the race. If a car fails to start, it must begin the race from pit lane.
  10. Require a reverse gear. Same reason as previous.
  11. Remove the limit on engine revs. "This one goes to 11"
  12. Allow engine enhancements during the year, but no changes to displacement or form factor.
  13. Provide only 1 spec engine (currently Cosworth). No other manufactures can provide engines to other teams. They are supposed to be their own constructors after all. This would provide a greater benefit to the lower teams, allowing the spec engine provider access to data from more teams to improve their engines. Spec engine should not include intake plenum or exhaust components. Teams must design these.
  14. Return to the Qualifying rules from last year: Top 10 must start with fuel onboard and the tires they set their fast lap on. This provides fuel and tire advantage to the slower cars at the start of the race.
  15. Allow more new teams into the series, but only top 12 teams (by fastest car) can race. Makes Q3 a lot more interesting. Gives teams like Campos a chance to race (probably wouldn't have save USF1 though... you can't write rules on how to manage a team).

Any good thoughts? Complaints about my list?

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer SuperDork
4/2/10 2:25 p.m.

iron heads on an aluminum blocks...

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
4/2/10 2:37 p.m.

Sprinklers

racerdave600
racerdave600 Reader
4/2/10 2:40 p.m.

ban aerodynamics such as wings all together. By allowing more, even driver controllable, you have less passing than now, if that's possible. The more aero you have, the more dependent the car is on it to turn. Even our Nascar had this problem. The solution is less aero, more hp, tons of mechanical grip.

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
4/2/10 2:44 p.m.
racerdave600 said: Even our Nascar had this problem.

This isn't my NASCAR...Don't include me in the we!

96DXCivic
96DXCivic Dork
4/2/10 2:46 p.m.

I don't agree with the spec engines but everything else sounds good.

oldsaw
oldsaw Dork
4/2/10 3:23 p.m.

In reply to BradLTL:

Suggesting Cosworth as the sole engine supplier eliminates Ferrari as an F1 competitor. While I'm not a prancing horse fanboi, I believe such a move would alienate a stunning measure of the sport's fan base.

Some your thoughts have real merit; I like the idea of new start-up teams getting more testing time. The quicker they are up to competitive speed, the better. Some would seem to encourage higher spending, the same reason the sport finds itself in its' current state.

Also keep in mind that the series races at venues where the promoters/organizers are willing to pay the sanctioning fees demanded by the little troll and his handlers. The Middle East and the Far East is home to big money and that is why the series has a big presence there.

I like the idea of drastically reducing aero grip, although I fancy front and rear wings; it's all that stuff within the wheelbase that costs too much and interferes with actual racing.

Just my $.02 worth.......

BradLTL
BradLTL New Reader
4/2/10 3:28 p.m.
oldsaw wrote: Suggesting Cosworth as the sole engine supplier eliminates Ferrari as an F1 competitor. While I'm not a prancing horse fanboi, I believe such a move would alienate a stunning measure of the sport's fan base.

What I meant is Ferrari cannot provide engines to other teams. They are welcome to use their own, as are Mercedes, etc. But Toro Rosso would have to use the Cosworth.

oldsaw
oldsaw Dork
4/2/10 3:46 p.m.
BradLTL wrote:
oldsaw wrote: Suggesting Cosworth as the sole engine supplier eliminates Ferrari as an F1 competitor. While I'm not a prancing horse fanboi, I believe such a move would alienate a stunning measure of the sport's fan base.
What I meant is Ferrari cannot provide engines to other teams. They are welcome to use their own, as are Mercedes, etc. But Toro Rosso would have to use the Cosworth.

I see your point now.

However, Ferrari, Renault and Mercedes defray their costs with engine-lease programs. McLaren, RBR, Force India, Sauber, TR, et al would be relegated to using Cosworth.

I'll suggest the FIA has kept the door slightly ajar to allow major manufacturers to rejoin F1 when it is financially viable, even if their role is reduced to that as an engine supplier.

Appleseed
Appleseed Dork
4/2/10 7:37 p.m.

To quote the WOPR, "The only way to win is not to play."

pigeon
pigeon HalfDork
4/2/10 8:34 p.m.

The tire war coming next year between Michelin and Kumho and the change to 18" wheels from 13" wheels will fix 90% of the problems in F1 by dramatically increasing mechanical grip, so long as there's not a huge gulf between the 2 suppliers.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy Reader
4/2/10 8:39 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: Sprinklers

My idea. The trick is to make it interesting. The teams find out 15 minutes before grid whether the track will be under rain condition, showers, or dry. Conditions will be selected by drawing one of three beer caps from a hat, with a competition amongst the unbrella girls to see who gets to make the draw.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy Reader
4/2/10 8:46 p.m.
racerdave600 wrote: ban aerodynamics such as wings all together. By allowing more, even driver controllable, you have less passing than now, if that's possible. The more aero you have, the more dependent the car is on it to turn. Even our Nascar had this problem. The solution is less aero, more hp, tons of mechanical grip.

EG:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kl2tIFxSEGA&feature=related

Ban wind tunnel testing, give them enough front and rear wing to write the sponsors names on, and hire some brave, brave men.

88TSI_Rob
88TSI_Rob None
4/3/10 3:51 p.m.

I mostly agree with points 3, 4, and 14.

I'm not happy with the engine or aero rules this year. Too much same-old, same-old and the cars end up looking and performing like a spec car.

Front/rear wing area should be reduced by 50% or so. It's time to make those aerodynamicts really work for their paycheck. Reducing the aero effects and with next years tire rules things should improve dramatically.

They also need to look at what the ALMS is doing with regards to alternate fuels/hybrid engines. They have done a great job at not only encouraging teams to explore different technologies, but they also do their homework and make sure the teams still race on a level playing field.

It seems to me the harder the engineers are working the better the racing.

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
4/3/10 6:18 p.m.
pigeon said: The tire war coming next year between Michelin and Kumho and the change to 18" wheels from 13" wheels will fix 90% of the problems in F1

Um...sources? Where did you hear this? formula1blog.com says nothing, autosport says nothing....

oldsaw
oldsaw Dork
4/3/10 8:27 p.m.
maroon92 wrote:
pigeon said: The tire war coming next year between Michelin and Kumho and the change to 18" wheels from 13" wheels will fix 90% of the problems in F1
Um...sources? Where did you hear this? formula1blog.com says nothing, autosport says nothing....

I read an Autosport.com article a few days ago that mentioned a possible Michelin comeback; not a peep about Kumho.

That same article concentrated on possible rule changes allowing 18" tires to replace the current 13" donuts. The team-principle that was interviewed was less than enthusiastic as such a change would require very high funding and extensive testing to make the change work with the chassis/suspension combinations.

Both those things (money and time) are in short supply and going to the 18" set-up would be another hurdle for the new teams. Since B'stone has already committed to leave the sport, the Michelin connection makes sense. I have read mention of Kumho coming but can't take that seriously. And, I really doubt the FIA wants to encourage another tire manufacturer war.

Wally
Wally SuperDork
4/3/10 8:28 p.m.

I would have obsticles that poped up out of the track, some at random and some controled by fans via the internet whenever it got too boring.vv

pigeon
pigeon HalfDork
4/3/10 8:45 p.m.
oldsaw wrote:
maroon92 wrote:
I read an Autosport.com article a few days ago that mentioned a possible Michelin comeback; not a peep about Kumho. That same article concentrated on possible rule changes allowing 18" tires to replace the current 13" donuts. The team-principle that was interviewed was less than enthusiastic as such a change would require very high funding and extensive testing to make the change work with the chassis/suspension combinations. Both those things (money and time) are in short supply and going to the 18" set-up would be another hurdle for the new teams. Since B'stone has already committed to leave the sport, the Michelin connection makes sense. I have read mention of Kumho coming but can't take that seriously. And, I really doubt the FIA wants to encourage another tire manufacturer war.

One part stuff I've read on f1live.com and other f1 sites that mentioned Kumho and/or Hankook as possible tire suppliers for 2011, one part the stories about Michelin not being interested in supplying F1 without someone to compete against, and about three parts rank speculation.

oldsaw
oldsaw Dork
4/3/10 8:56 p.m.

For anyone interested, the Malaysian GP will be re-aired at 11:30AM, Sunday morning; the live broadcast starts at 3:30AM.

The tape-version is looking better and better since I got up real early this morning to catch qualies. My body hates me right now.

Hey, Pigeon, I've seen the rumor about Hankook in addition to Kumho, too. Michelin may want some competition, but their last stint in the series sure left a sour taste in a lot of fan's mouths. Didn't did too much for the company reputation, either.

pigeon
pigeon HalfDork
4/3/10 9:06 p.m.

DVR FTW

Fit_Is_Slo
Fit_Is_Slo Reader
4/4/10 12:46 a.m.
maroon92 wrote:

I say go to 26's so much unsprung weight has to slow them down!

racerdave600
racerdave600 Reader
4/5/10 8:42 a.m.
maroon92 wrote:
racerdave600 said: Even our Nascar had this problem.
This isn't my NASCAR...Don't include me in the we!

Our Nascar refers to my old team. We used to field a car.

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer SuperDork
4/5/10 8:55 a.m.
Fit_Is_Slo wrote:
maroon92 wrote:
I say go to 26's so much unsprung weight has to slow them down!

no no no, i dont want to see any Ronald McDonald or Lucky Charms themed cars on the grid...

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson HalfDork
4/5/10 9:05 a.m.

Based on the last 2 races I'd say F1 doesn't need fixing. This is the best racing in years. Right now the top 7 drivers are seperated by 9 points, that's less points that you get for a 5th place finish (10). Three races three different winners from three differnt teams. This is the best racing in years.

Autolex
Autolex HalfDork
4/5/10 10:20 a.m.

The 2011 F1 Rules are as follows:

All vehicles must use maximum of four (4) Spec Douglas Xtra-Trac 185/65/14 tires.

No other tires, or additional tires may be used.

All other mods = okay

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Ehlbphc696dcphpTNaVp3rJ7RQwiipPg7i0N8Lls8fzvqXTKcLLQ3wRDITKyQuMJ