1 2 3
ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
9/10/18 11:27 a.m.

Looks like Florence is going to hit somewhere in the Carolinas/Virginia later this week. I know we have some members in the area so I thought I'd start a thread for general discussions and check-in.

Image result for florence projected track

Stay safe out there kids.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
9/10/18 11:32 a.m.

Looks rather too similar to the track of Isabel in 2003. 

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
9/10/18 11:41 a.m.

We are pretty far inland but are still expecting some heavy rain potential damage. The real pisser? Had to cancel my vacation for this weekend to the beach. No fresh fried clams for me.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
9/10/18 11:47 a.m.

I am just to the left of the cone of evil in NW SC.    This one reminds me a bit of Hugo which missed us.  

Stampie
Stampie UberDork
9/10/18 11:50 a.m.

Stay safe, this one looks bad. 

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
9/10/18 12:14 p.m.
Dusterbd13 said:

We are pretty far inland but are still expecting some heavy rain potential damage. The real pisser? Had to cancel my vacation for this weekend to the beach. No fresh fried clams for me.

We're headed to the north GA mountains for vacation mid week. We should only get some breeze and minor rain, I hope. We specifically chose the mountains over the beach due to the possibility of hurricanes this time of year, and it may still get us.

But not nearly as bad spitfirebill and Toyman. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
9/10/18 12:28 p.m.

My brother is in Raleigh. They've got their generator ready. 

His in-laws are in Wilmington. They've boarded the windows. 

His grandmother-in-law is in Wilmington on the intracoastal. She's been moving everything of value out of her walk-out basement. They think it is going to be destroyed.

Apis Mellifera
Apis Mellifera HalfDork
9/10/18 12:29 p.m.

TJ is on the coast at the bottom pointy bit of NC.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
9/10/18 12:43 p.m.

I think Wilmington is going to get it pretty good.  The areas that really get it hard are the low lying areas inland that flood so heavily.   

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
9/10/18 1:06 p.m.

Well, the news isn’t great for here (Columbia SC), but my 92 year old Dad lives alone on the coast right on the border border of NC and SC.  Right in the crosshairs  

I am considering going to pick him up and bring him to my house. 

Decisions aren’t easy- he has dementia. sad

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
9/10/18 1:09 p.m.

Yep. I live 2/3 of a mile from the coast as the crow flies on the ICW. We are leaving tomorrow for high ground in WV.

Spent some time yesterday taking care of all the outdoor stuff.

Just got gas - that was fun, but I now have two vehicles with full tanks.

I have to be in MN for work Wed-Thurs, so that made things a little bit trickier.

Hopefully the house is here when we come back home. Hurricane Hazel pretty much wiped the island clean back in 1954 - only 5 of the 357 buildings were left on the island after Hazel. That was the last time a category 4 storm came ashore here and there has been a lot of development since then.

Hopefully the house will still be here when we come back. If not, we have insurance.

Apis Mellifera
Apis Mellifera HalfDork
9/10/18 1:17 p.m.

If you're bringing cars to WV, you can keep them at my place.  I have a farm in Gilmer Co. and could probably fit your Mini in at my house in Charleston.

failboat
failboat UberDork
9/10/18 1:23 p.m.

On vacation in Charleston/Folly beach this week. Nice timing for the storm.

Right now looking like it will probably go to the north of us and we wont have to cut our vacation short. Besides, we have to drive north to get home.

Also none of the locals weve spoken to seem concerned, at all. Lol.

We are slightly concerned as we are a stones throw away from the ocean at folly beach.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
9/10/18 1:24 p.m.

I am regretting agreeing to a work trip having me fly out of DC on Wednesday and back into DC on Thursday...

With a wife and 2 month old at home

johndej
johndej HalfDork
9/10/18 1:25 p.m.

I'm in Richmond Va and going to do a bit of prepping around the house.

Have to fly to ATL for work Wens and come home Friday evening......... hope I make it.......

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
9/10/18 1:31 p.m.

http://spaghettimodels.com/

I learned of this site and Mike's FB page here on GRM.  Everything on one place (aside form the cluttered advertising on the left-most of the page.  That advertising is worth it though, the info is good.  

mrwillie
mrwillie Dork
9/10/18 1:32 p.m.

I live east of Raleigh off of Hwy 264 and will have the Grannies at my house(both of which live in Eastern NC). Kinda kicking myself for having put of buying a generator yet. But, I think that we're ok on everything else.

captdownshift
captdownshift PowerDork
9/10/18 2:21 p.m.

i was confident that she was going to turn north then north northeast and miss the lower 48, then the front that passed through the Mid-Atlantic this weekend spun a subtropical lower off the mouth of the bay which is going to shield Florence from moving northward. There's 2 more in the camber loaded behind her for the carribean and east coast to be ready for. The depression between Cuba and the Yuctan is of concern for the gulf coast as it should be a storm by the 4pm update. 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
9/10/18 2:51 p.m.

In reply to Apis Mellifera :

Thanks for the offer. The Mini and the miata will stay in the garage and try to ride it out. We'll be headed to Mason County.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
9/10/18 2:57 p.m.

pretty sure these storms would constitute excusable absence from the work trips y'all have planned.  i'd tell the boss to have a seat at the Hennessy Honda of Woodstock buffet if he disagreed.  

Furious_E
Furious_E SuperDork
9/10/18 3:23 p.m.

I'm heading to Charlotte for work tomorrow-Wednesday, so I'm sure the airport is going to be loads of fun to deal with. Oh well, at least I'm not on vacation in Myrtle this week like my buddy and his wife. You guys out on the coast stay safe.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr UltraDork
9/10/18 3:32 p.m.

I am supposed to be flying into Charleston SC on Thursday evening....  With my 2 year old, and 6 month old....

Sounds fun.

failboat
failboat UberDork
9/10/18 3:56 p.m.

Coastal SC is under a mandatory evacuation starting at 12 noon tomorrow. At least here in folly beach they are allowing limited amounts of people to return sometime wednesday but you basically have to show your resident ID. 

We are hitting the road tomorrow at 5 am towards Asheville NC to try to salvage the rest of our vacation week. At this point its becoming an adventure in winging it. 

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
9/10/18 3:59 p.m.

looks like they are evacuating my old house...  good luck folks..

The tracks adjusted up a little north

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
9/10/18 5:12 p.m.

The odds of dying on the roads are probably higher than dying in a hurricane. I'm staying home no matter what.

As far as preparedness. We pretty much stay that way.

There is a months worth of food in the house at all times. It won't be steak and lobster, but we won't starve. 

The generators get fired up regularly so power isn't a issue.

Including SanFord, I have 70 gallons of water storage that I will fill up if things actually start looking bad. 

But, mostly all we are hearing is hype and conjecture. It's too early to tell. I'll keep an eye on it, other than that, meh. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YnXIs5ZpqSsR3LGlmTAMXaQNrPZfP54sPOuuSUvcIxwGWFvK1FzfKPWdissdoyW9