3 4 5 6 7
z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
9/14/18 9:58 a.m.
Toyman01 said:

If I was in charge, I'd leave them until the storm was past. 

Sometimes the heard needs to be thinned. 

I was just going to go with "Should we charge them for the price of their rescue?"

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
9/14/18 10:35 a.m.
KyAllroad (Jeremy) said:

News reports of “several hundred” people having to be rescued from floodwaters already.  Good job evacuating you chowderheads!!  

Not to sat that this happened, but many people can not afford to evacuate.  No money for hotel, gas, food, etc for many.  

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
9/14/18 11:50 a.m.
alfadriver said:
KyAllroad (Jeremy) said:

News reports of “several hundred” people having to be rescued from floodwaters already.  Good job evacuating you chowderheads!!  

Not to sat that this happened, but many people can not afford to evacuate.  No money for hotel, gas, food, etc for many.  

That was a big problem during irma. Tons of low income  with no place to go. Fortunately not q lot of damage or loss other than power. 

rob_lewis
rob_lewis UltraDork
9/14/18 12:05 p.m.
alfadriver said:
KyAllroad (Jeremy) said:

This, if you're struggling to make ends meet or put gas in your car, packing up and finding a place to stay for a few days may not be in the cards.  Plus, you have folks with pets (not easy to move), livestock, or elderly parents that are not easy to move, either. 

As I've watched this all unfold here in comfortable Central Texas, I've noticed two trends.  One, people who complain about folks who didn't evacuate and how stupid they are and don't deserve help (and sad to see, some say we should let them die).  The other major trend are people complaining about how the whole thing has been blown out of proportion, it's not as bad as the media has made it to be, it's moved several times on it's path, etc. Monday, it was mainly concentrated in North Carolina and that's where the evacuations began, but now it's hitting South Carolina and they're predicting parts of Georgia.

Mother nature is dangerous and unpredictable. So, I can understand being upset if people don't evacuate and put themselves in harm's way, but can also understand that if they don't have the means, or if they've evacuated before and their area never seeing damage, to question an evacuation.  Governments put mandatory evacuations in place because it's the safest plan and it protects them.  It's easier ot make that call if there's a chance than to wait and it be too late.  Most will choose to heed the warning, but some won't. 

Maybe those who didn't evacuate and had to be saved will evacuate next time.  But, for those who did evacuate and didn't have to, they'll probably consider staying next time. 

We just all have to understand and help each other as much as we can. 

-Rob

ThatsNoUsername
ThatsNoUsername HalfDork
9/14/18 12:31 p.m.
alfadriver said:
KyAllroad (Jeremy) said:

Was thinking the same thing myself

mtn
mtn MegaDork
9/14/18 12:50 p.m.

Rob hit it on the head. Aside from the fact that there are those who are unable to physically and/or financially evacuate, there is also the media that has been fear mongering. Too many times that boy called wolf. Sure, it is easy for me to look at the radars and everything and say "this gonna be bad", but I took a couple of meteorology classes in college and high school. I can't tell you how many times that I've heard them say that we're getting rain, only to find that it wasn't rain--but I know how they're calculating the percentages and what the radars actually mean. Someone else would say "they lied to me".

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
9/14/18 12:55 p.m.

There is no one that couldn't evacuate. The local regional transit authority has been available to haul anyone that wanted to inland shelters. There are several inland shelters set up for people with pets as well as the elderly. If you want out, you can get out and it won't cost you a dime. I would think the NC government would have the same system in place since they get twice as many hurricanes as SC does. SC has a system set up specifically for low income and indigent people. 3 hots and a cot in a shelter are provided all over the state. Ours kids will be lucky to get back to school before Wednesday because it takes that long to get the shelters empty and cleaned. 

ncjay
ncjay SuperDork
9/14/18 3:01 p.m.

Nearly 4 PM here in Charlotte. No rain yet. Winds been on and off all day. Other than that, weather's pretty decent. School was canceled today and yesterday. No good reason why. Storm was never going to hit until late Friday anyway. Traffic's lighter than usual, which is great. Grocery stores have returned to a somewhat more normal atmosphere. Apparently everyone around here chose Tuesday to freak the f*ck out buy all the bread and empty out the gas stations. 4 days ago. For a hurricane. On Monday many news morons and politicians were saying how much worse than Hugo this storm was going to be. Now that it's actually here, it's not such a big deal. Y'know, if I screamed "FIRE" in a crowded movie theater, I'd be arrested, but it's perfectly fine for the crap these people pull.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
9/14/18 3:19 p.m.

In reply to ncjay :

So you were lucky- if it had hit landfall as a 4, it would have been a little harder to deal with. Sometimes it works out, and weakens, sometimes it does not and you face a year without power.

Panic is bad, for sure.  But taking it lightly is just as bad.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
9/14/18 3:28 p.m.
ncjay said:

Y'know, if I screamed "FIRE" in a crowded movie theater, I'd be arrested,

You'd be fine:

https://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2012/11/its-time-to-stop-using-the-fire-in-a-crowded-theater-quote/264449/

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
9/14/18 3:35 p.m.

The wind is just starting to blow here. I have moved all the vehicles away from the woods but I doubt it will blow hard enough to cause any issues. 

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Mod Squad
9/14/18 4:09 p.m.

We have power but the neighbors don't. It's been blustery all day, with a "torrential drizzle". Winds are picking up a bit now, and a fair amount of rain is still to come. 

I am out of ice cream, but I don't feel like going to the store. Blah.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
9/14/18 5:50 p.m.

E36 M3s been awfully boring. I was expecting anvils being thrown the way the news was talking. 

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
9/15/18 8:45 a.m.

Still boring. Its like a good thunderstorms here. Ain't even lost power. 

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
9/15/18 9:00 a.m.

It has finally started to rain. Very little wind though. The storm is 60 miles north west of us which puts us on the weaker side of things. This is probably as much as we will see of it. 

I feel for all the NC people that got hit hard. My sister's in-laws got hammered pretty good. They have a house on Harkers Island that was half under water yesterday. She and her husband are headed out there today to see what can be cleaned up. 

ncjay
ncjay SuperDork
9/15/18 9:41 a.m.

10:30 on Saturday morning. All is calm and peaceful. Some wind, but not bad at all. Radar shows it should be raining. It's not now and hasn't been for some time. It is coming though. Odd, seems like with a storm rolling through it should at least be a bit windier than what it is.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
9/15/18 9:54 a.m.

We’ve had wind since yesterday and it just started a light sprinkle.  

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Mod Squad
9/15/18 10:49 a.m.

We really got off easy here in Raleigh, but always better to be over prepared for these things. Our neighbors still don't have power due to a blown transformer yesterday.  The map shows approximately 20k people without power in Wake Co., but I doubt that will be fixed until later in the week due to most of the power crews being down east where the heart of the problems are.

Some observations:

I have not heard a bird since yesterday morning. Kinda spooky quiet.

All the bro dozers are staying home, have not seen or heard a single Carolina squat in the past two days. This is fantastic.

Post tropical storm weather is awesome. The air is crisp and fall like after a big storm. Looking forward to next week.

My heart goes out to those at the coast, the pictures coming in look dreadful. Eight reported fatalities so far. 

M2Pilot
M2Pilot Dork
9/15/18 12:26 p.m.

Big pine fell on brother in law's house in Fayetteville. Don't know extent of damages but people & dogs are OK.

Hasbro
Hasbro SuperDork
9/15/18 2:24 p.m.

One couple in NC stayed because the husband was dying from bone cancer. He did die, and, as of yesterday, they hadn't rescued the wife. 

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
9/15/18 8:34 p.m.

Seems the horses came through the storm fine unlike some humans.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
9/16/18 10:48 a.m.

I am astounded at how worthless the news is. 

My father is from a small town on the coast-Carolina Shores. They weren’t hit hard, so they are not in the news. 

We know the power is off, and some of the roads are closed, so we can’t go back yet. 

What we don’t know is if his neighborhood (or his house) flooded. 

There doesn’t seem to be any localized info available. If it’s not sensational enough to make national news, it doesn’t exist.  If it IS sensational, it’s totally overhyped and fear mongering.

It seems like it would be pretty simple to have a network that allowed local governments and services to update public information simply, including maps of closed roads, detours, flooded areas, power outages, etc. 

Local governments now spend so much energy collecting every little useless piece of data they can about US so THEY can benefit, and offer us almost nothing in the way of useful information WE can benefit from. 

The failure to have good useable information available will certainly cause many, many people to return to the area before they should, just to watch out for their property.

You guys are geniuses.  Any ideas or links for some local info?

Maybe a good business opportunity for someone....

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Mod Squad
9/16/18 11:37 a.m.

In reply to SVreX :

This page has some updates. While it doesn't list Carolina Shores specifically, nearby Calabash is experiencing flooding and power outages, although they are closer to the Intercoastal Waterway, so hopefully things are not as bad in his township. I would honestly wait a few days before heading back, as flood waters from inland will be moving downstream and will likely cause additional flooding in areas that are not currently under water. Fingers crossed that his property escaped with minimal damage.

I feel this would be a good use of drones, to survey damage in hard to access areas, but I think their use has been banned while rescue crews are dispatched.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
9/16/18 11:40 a.m.

I just got a picture of my house from a friend of a neighbor. A window in my bedroom is out. I suspect my MBR is getting a good bit of water in it. The kitchen is below that.  Neighbors driveway is blocked by a downed tree. With the flooding I just can't get back down there to take care of things. 

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Mod Squad
9/16/18 11:45 a.m.

In reply to T.J. :

Hopefully the damage is minimal. The important thing is you and your family are safe. Good plan moving to high ground away from the path of the storm. yes

3 4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
aE6OKlyGCzINr3XpXeaRAchttoP5nnZTykztWtR0wM3zDTVNHEMj32Co9MgrAYRO