4 5 6 7
T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
9/16/18 12:03 p.m.

In reply to EastCoastMojo :

Yeah. Stuff is just stuff in the end. The two bridges to the island are still closed and there is a lot of flooding to make even getting to the bridge impossible by car. I need a helicopter. 

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
9/16/18 1:02 p.m.

Thanks ECM. I’d already seen that. That’s the only info I was able to find. 

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Mod Squad
9/16/18 1:11 p.m.

In reply to SVreX :

Yeah, there's not much info coming in from the smaller towns yet. Here's a video I found of our favorite vacation spot. Oriental is a small fishing village on the banks of the Neuse River, just south east of New Bern. They've certainly seen worse, but not in a long time.

Video link

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
9/16/18 1:21 p.m.

Just seems like it would be so easy. 

A basic listing for every incorporated community. Limit who can update- some basic government officials, law enforcement authorities, some utility companies, the DOT. 

For any location with no updates, post a basic message “No updates”. Then put a button residents can click on that sends a poke message to the appropriate officials to “Update ASAP”. 

Let the media have the stats on which communities and officials are updating in a timely manner, and which ones are not. Preferably right before election time. 

Pretty sure it would self-manage instantly. 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
9/16/18 1:23 p.m.

The Neuse is quite a river.  We chartered a boat for a fishing trip a few years back.  I want to say it was out of Minnesott Beach.  Nice retired guy with a nice boat.  We caught a couple of monster Drum.  I hope he fared better than some of those folks.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle Dork
9/16/18 1:23 p.m.

Searching on Facebook or twitter or Instagram for the town name or zip code might yield some info.

edit:  searched for #carolinashores and this was the first return

https://twitter.com/jrodzmia/status/1040671529237929984?s=21

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
9/16/18 1:34 p.m.

In reply to OHSCrifle :

That’s perfect, but it’s not Carolina Shores. 

CS is not on the coast. 

I think that is Cherry Grove Beach.   Or maybe Ocean Isle Beach. 

That’s my point. 

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Mod Squad
9/16/18 1:39 p.m.

In reply to SVreX :

Looks like their Town web page has an e-list sign up for updates. I know it's not ideal, but that may be the best resource for now.

Stampie
Stampie UberDork
9/16/18 2:09 p.m.

It's amazing how things change. I was talking to my mom about evacuating and she told me about growing up in FL during the 50s. She said in elementary school the kids would be sent home when they got the to late for today's standards warning. Her parents would have to finish their workday but she and my uncle knew what to do to get ready and did as much as they could before my grandparents got home. 

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
9/16/18 6:42 p.m.

I spent a couple of hours today helping my parents clean their yard. 

To all the Spanish Moss lovers in the world. 

It's really great stuff, until you have to haul off a couple of tons of the crap. This was load #5

captdownshift
captdownshift PowerDork
9/16/18 7:35 p.m.

In reply to Toyman01 :

When is duck hunting season down that way?

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
9/16/18 7:38 p.m.

In reply to captdownshift :

I honestly don't know. My brother is the duck hunter. I just eat his. 

TasdevEngineer2of3
TasdevEngineer2of3 New Reader
9/16/18 10:18 p.m.

Our home is in the Winston Salem NC area. We were down south at the beach all last week and had to find a hole in the storm yesterday to make it home - worked out fine. As of 11 pm today, we are over 3 inches of rain so far for the day. It is strange to look over at the rain gauge and be able to see the indicator move. Picked up .2 while writing this. Basement has some moisture in it but we are counting our blessings.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
9/17/18 3:40 p.m.

I'm hoping I can make it home Friday, patch up my blown out window because I need to be in MN on Monday for a month. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
9/17/18 3:53 p.m.
SVreX said:

I am astounded at how worthless the news is. 

My father is from a small town on the coast-Carolina Shores. They weren’t hit hard, so they are not in the news. 

We know the power is off, and some of the roads are closed, so we can’t go back yet. 

What we don’t know is if his neighborhood (or his house) flooded. 

There doesn’t seem to be any localized info available. If it’s not sensational enough to make national news, it doesn’t exist.  If it IS sensational, it’s totally overhyped and fear mongering.

It seems like it would be pretty simple to have a network that allowed local governments and services to update public information simply, including maps of closed roads, detours, flooded areas, power outages, etc. 

Local governments now spend so much energy collecting every little useless piece of data they can about US so THEY can benefit, and offer us almost nothing in the way of useful information WE can benefit from. 

The failure to have good useable information available will certainly cause many, many people to return to the area before they should, just to watch out for their property.

You guys are geniuses.  Any ideas or links for some local info?

Maybe a good business opportunity for someone....

A bunch of police station facebook pages are updating their video feeds from driving around.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
9/17/18 4:20 p.m.

They opened the two bridges to the island. Now I just need a path to get that far. Progress. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
9/17/18 4:54 p.m.

I sold two chainsaws to a couple that were headed back that direction today. And 60gal/propane. I find it somewhat funny that people evacuated TO florida. 

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Mod Squad
9/17/18 8:05 p.m.

You know E36 M3 is crazy when people go to Florida to escape the hurricane.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
9/22/18 3:34 a.m.

If all goes well, I'll be able to get to my house today to board ip my blown out window. Hopefully not too much water damage or squirrel infestations have happened over the last 8 days or so that my MBR has been open to the elements. 30" of rain fell, so I am not expecting the best, but at least I'll be able to get it closed up. Electric bill is going to be high after 8 days of the AC trying to keep the house at 75F with a big opening to the outside. 

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte UltraDork
9/22/18 4:53 a.m.

In reply to T.J. :

Hope all is well as can be considering. Maybe the power was off?  Keep us updated please?

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
9/22/18 5:40 a.m.

In reply to TRoglodyte :

Somehow we didn't lose power the whole time. We lost water and sewer, but the electricity stayed on.

Here is a pic of where my window ended up. Came from back corner of house out of  the picture to the right, but is now closer to the front of the house in the lot next door.  The gravel area where it landed is where my neighbor usually keeps a trailer, but he took it home before the storm. Hopefully the other windows are ok and the two skylights.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
9/22/18 3:30 p.m.

So, the power did go off for a bit at some point, so my thermostats default to 85F when power comes back when set for AC. So good news on my electric bill. Water damage not as bad as I feared. A little water on the floor by the window and a couple of water stains on the kitchen ceiling below but no major flooding. 

The stupid Alexa that controls the lights in my bedroom decided to turn all lights on when power came back on a week ago. Lots if moths and other bugs in my bedroom because the 28"x72" open hole in the wall and the room being lit up like a Christmas tree. 

Insurance claim adjuster will be here at some point. 

Besides the soggy floor/ceiling and the window I have a list of smaller things for the insurance guy to look at. 

My plan to cover the window from the inside without a helper worked like a champ. 

I cut out a piece of plywood an inch larger on each side than the window frame. I put a handle in the center sort of like a shield. I put the two 2x4 pieces on a block so they would be over the interior trin when rotated into place. Then I put shorter blocks that I drove screws through the 2x4s into the blocks to pull the plywood tight against the outside of the window frame. Caulked around the perimeter and voila. 

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Mod Squad
9/22/18 3:49 p.m.

Brilliant! Glad the damage wasn't worse. 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
9/22/18 3:56 p.m.

I built a ramp to my in-laws back porch while a refugee so my son could get in their house. Here is an in- progress  picture. A few hundred dollars of lumber and three sweaty days working in the sun with temps in the mid 90's. 

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
9/22/18 3:57 p.m.

Very nicely executed.  Glad the damage wasnt too bad.

4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JGmpklvfhNLh322RLdT5X3qhE6hPa5Z7ILKLf02PTjqYvFkfdTnuZjxHRwguWHE1