1 2
Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
8/26/20 7:10 a.m.

Everybody okay in the Gulf? Looks like you're going to get hit pretty hard. sad

John Welsh (Moderate Supporter)
John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) Mod Squad
8/26/20 7:26 a.m.

Wow, Mike says now could be 130 mph wind at landfall.  That's a big-'en.  

Tom Suddard
8/26/20 7:38 a.m.

Yeah. This is looking like another Harvey. 

ultraclyde (Forum Supporter)
ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
8/26/20 8:45 a.m.

This has gone from "not too bad" to "HOLD THE berkeley ON!!" in short order. Hope everyone can get their heads down in time.

lnlogauge
lnlogauge HalfDork
8/26/20 9:21 a.m.
Tom Suddard said:

Yeah. This is looking like another Harvey. 

This is drastically different than Harvey. Harvey's track came in, stopped, and went back out. I'm sure the winds caused some destruction, but nothing like 4 days and 40 inches of rain. 

Laura is on the move. She's out of Louisiana in 12 hours. Where its tracking to hit is probably the least populated coast we have. The storm surge damage I'm sure will be bad, but this could be alot worse. 

Edit: I see why this area is so sparse. It's the same track as Rita, which destroyed everything. 

slefain
slefain PowerDork
8/26/20 9:21 a.m.

Where's Jim Cantore? If you see that guy, GTFO now!

rob_lewis
rob_lewis UltraDork
8/26/20 10:52 a.m.

As someone sitting under a high pressure system in Austin that has been giving us a few weeks of 100 degree heat, I think Laura will move east quickly and get broken up.  I'm not a meteorologist, but I assume the hp system is keeping it from moving more westwardly.  You're welcome Houstonians..  :D 

I've been joking with my Houston folks (most are on the western edge, so shouldn't see much more than some wind and rain) to please stand out in their yard with a fan pointed northwest towards Austin so we can get some rain.....

If you're in the path, please be safe.  We're hoping it blows through quickly to minimize the damage.

-Rob

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie HalfDork
8/26/20 11:06 a.m.
Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie HalfDork
8/26/20 11:10 a.m.

The North Texas Humane Society just brought in 80 animals from coastal shelters including dogs, cats and one three legged mouse. 

https://www.facebook.com/HumaneSocietyofNorthTexas

Tom Suddard
8/26/20 1:03 p.m.

It's now officially a Cat 4. Just saw a push notification forecasting "Unsurvivable Storm Surge"

Stay safe, everybody. This looks bad. 

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
8/26/20 1:48 p.m.

Fingers crossed for all you 

thatsnowinnebago (Forum Supporter)
thatsnowinnebago (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
8/26/20 2:30 p.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard :

Whoa, that's a dark notification to get.

shagles
shagles Reader
8/26/20 2:34 p.m.

Got some rain in North Dallas today. Pretty sure its unrelated but the rain is VERY welcome. I've been told that Galveston and Beaumont are under mandatory evacuation orders.

8/26/20 3:17 p.m.

At the center they are forecasting 15-20 foot storm surge vertical and then expecting that to affect things horizontally for 30 miles inland!  

I'm keeping an eye for my sister who lives in the south part of New Orleans.  Seems that the worst threat to NOLA is tornados and potential for lots of water.  

My niece's husband is an electric co lineman in Ohio.  He and crew pulled out today for places south.  I'm not sure where.  I'm also not sure if they know where either.  

bmw88rider (Forum Supporter)
bmw88rider (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
8/26/20 5:09 p.m.

Praying for my friends in Lake Charles. I know some of them left last night and are now at a buddies cabin south of Austin. Hopefully they have something to go back to. 

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/26/20 6:16 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) :

My wife heard earlier today that there were mandatory evacuation orders for Nola. I asked my boss about it, but he'd not heard anything. Though he's in Metairie. 

glueguy (Forum Supporter)
glueguy (Forum Supporter) Dork
8/26/20 8:33 p.m.
John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) said:

My niece's husband is an electric co lineman in Ohio.  He and crew pulled out today for places south.  I'm not sure where.  I'm also not sure if they know where either.  

One day I would like to watch a documentary to track these dudes. First responders sort of know what they are signing up for. Being in Florida we've seen this - trucks all over town with about 35 different license plates. Heroes in their own space that trained to do a job and then get sent to "somewhere" to figure it out as they go working on different systems with different teams. 

8/26/20 8:47 p.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) :

I spoke with my sister. She believes they are in no danger and no required evac where she is at, English Turn Country Club. 

During Katrina she lost two roofing shingles (and it took forever to get someone out to do the tiny job.) 

mtn (Forum Supporter)
mtn (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/26/20 9:44 p.m.
glueguy (Forum Supporter) said:
John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) said:

One day I would like to watch a documentary to track these dudes. First responders sort of know what they are signing up for. Being in Florida we've seen this - trucks all over town with about 35 different license plates. Heroes in their own space that trained to do a job and then get sent to "somewhere" to figure it out as they go working on different systems with different teams. 

This would be an awesome show. Both my cousin and uncle are linemen.

ckosacranoid
ckosacranoid SuperDork
8/27/20 12:29 a.m.

Stay safe to everyone that's going to hit with the storm, We have the sport of burring and looting going on right now in Wisconsin.

8/27/20 7:25 a.m.

I was watching some videos from storm chasers.  Specifically, I was watching something yesterday during the day before things got bad.  It was a video from a dash cam.  I couldn't help but notice in the video that the guys hood was like the f-ing surface of the moon...hail damaged.  I searched further on his page and found this video from April.  So, this is NOT video for hurricane Laura but still intense.  

https://www.facebook.com/reedtimmer2.0/videos/226120478594246

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
8/27/20 7:26 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) :

Was that a yukon I just looked at..  one owner.. well taken care of.. golf ball dimples free...

Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter)
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
8/27/20 7:30 a.m.

Got some friends in the direct path, last update I saw they are hunkered  down and ready to go. 

jharry3
jharry3 HalfDork
8/27/20 7:45 a.m.

West Houston for Laura, we got nothing no rain, no wind.  350 miles east, River Ridge, La. next to New Orleans, my family got nothing but a little rain.   

Laura is worst than Rita, which hit almost the same path in 2005, or  Katrina, also 2005, where it  hit the Mississippi Gulf Coast (Katrina would have been a big nothing in New Orleans if the levees had not broken from the storm surge.).  

Jerry
Jerry UberDork
8/27/20 7:46 a.m.

I have a friend in New Orleans that thinks she's ok but southwest LA is going to get brutalized.  I don't miss living there, it's great to visit but I'll take my chances with tornadoes.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vpUEMKkBcRyqNY5OwUhA1SxBzViJFT88w0nkxCSAB0jmGvmuq9AyGiTY47sA6kQD