914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
5/8/22 9:07 a.m.

My neighbor bought a new shed to accommodate his new, bigger wood lathe.  His old shed is 8 X 12ft.  Insulated and holds a heater and AC with GFI outlets.  He was going to cut it up and toss it, I thought my next door neighbor could use it so I asked him to hold off for 24 hours.  He did.  Trish got home, I told her of the shed offer, "Why don't you take, look at all the junk behind the garage".  OK.  It was $2k at the time, now about $4500 to buy.

I was going to disassemble it, run the panels 4 houses up the street and reassemble.  I contacted Garden Time who made and delivered the shed and they would do it, but have to add $150 if they have to use the "Mule".   (video below)

Pretty sure it will be filled in no time.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
5/8/22 9:20 a.m.

I often marvel at those who manage to score free stuff.  I have a friend who has people giving him stuff all the time--lawn equipment, radios, car stuff.  Only thing I ever got free was a non-running late 80's Chrysler LeBaron Coupe, which I did manage to get running.  To my eye it holds the distinction of being one of the most attractive crappy cars in history.

lebaron

But I degress.  Everyone needs a shed.  With all my garage space, I put off getting a shed for lawn mowers and other stuff that kept me from being able to move around and get stuff done in the garage.  Put up a 16 x 12 a few years back.  Best thing ever!

Only thing better than a shed is two sheds!

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
5/8/22 9:20 a.m.

That's awesome that they came and moved it for you!

wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L)
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) PowerDork
5/8/22 9:26 a.m.

I used to run a Mule for a living, but ours was smaller, and you had to stand on it to operate it. Pretty dangerous.

The world of rent-to-own mini barns is a wild one. The tears, the guns, the dogs, the repos. 

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
5/8/22 9:50 a.m.

Yes, everybody needs a shed. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/8/22 11:13 a.m.

Free shed is best shed.

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
5/8/22 11:21 a.m.

The best upgrade you can ever make to a shop or garage is a shed. 

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso SuperDork
5/8/22 12:35 p.m.
SV reX said:

Came to say this. I still trip on 100 bicycles and Amazon boxes still. But at least I don't trip over garden tools and snow shovels. 

gunner (Forum Supporter)
gunner (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
5/8/22 8:38 p.m.

We replaced our old shed with a new one that got delivered last week. same size but this one is new and not 25 years old. The old one still had good bones and 80% of the floor was still perfect, even the bad floor you could walk on and put weight on no problem but the exterior panels were toast. Could have rebuilt it for about 3k but Mrs. Gunner went shopping and we got a new one.  10x20, the old one already had electricity so the new one does now too. I reinstalled the panel and outlets yesterday and have power and no smoke. BTW those mules are about the most coolest thing.  Super stoked.

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
5/8/22 8:43 p.m.

In reply to gunner (Forum Supporter) :

You can always tell that a shed is used when it has a well worn path to it.

TheTallOne17
TheTallOne17 Reader
5/9/22 7:09 a.m.
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) said:

I used to run a Mule for a living, but ours was smaller, and you had to stand on it to operate it. Pretty dangerous.

The world of rent-to-own mini barns is a wild one. The tears, the guns, the dogs, the repos. 

Its fascinating. I follow this guy on YouTube, former Amish turned shed delivery/repo: Shed-Happens

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
5/9/22 8:30 a.m.

I hope that arrangement of concrete blocks is temporary...

gunner (Forum Supporter)
5/9/22 8:32 a.m.
Stampie said:

You can always tell that a shed is used when it has a well worn path to it.

It was so well worn when we bought the house in 2005 that we installed pavers between the house and the shed because when it rained it was all mud. Its pretty overgrown now but Mrs Gunner tells me that we are either going to add a second row next to the current one or pull them up and redo it with wider blocks. This summer is going to be busy.

gunner (Forum Supporter)
5/9/22 8:36 a.m.

In reply to stuart in mn :

The ones under the shed? Those are permanent.  It has already passed inspection.  The previous shed had a similar arrangement since 1995. Don't worry,  after I get the siding on you'll never be able to tell.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
5/9/22 1:35 p.m.

Going to cost $750 for the move.  I would spend that in Ben-Gay & chiropractors moving it myself.  =~ 0

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
5/9/22 1:38 p.m.

Here is something I like to say:

The amount of crap you have is directly proportional to the space you have to store crap.

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
5/9/22 2:28 p.m.

In reply to aircooled :

Contrary to many people's opinions on this site, I am a big advocate of small shops and workspaces. 

However, I have also learned the value of a shed. Lawn tools are difficult items to have in a shop by nature of their size and shape. A lawn mower or snow blower ALWAYS takes up a lot of space, and is awkward. They won't fit on a shelf or under a bench. Rakes, shovels, hoses will always be something to trip on while working, even if they are hung neatly on the wall. And if they are hung neatly, they take up a huge amount of wall space because of their shape. 

Gasoline is flammable, and best stored in a shed. Same thing for paint. Lawn tools are all awkward shaped and store poorly. Lawn wagons and wheelbarrows take up too big a footprint. Fertilizers and seed are darned messy in a shop. Lawn mowers have fumes, and drop grass clippings on the floor.

I'm all for downsizing the footprint of a shop to reduce clutter and crap, but I stand by my assertion...

wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L)
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) PowerDork
5/9/22 5:00 p.m.
TheTallOne17 said:
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) said:

Its fascinating. I follow this guy on YouTube, former Amish turned shed delivery/repo: Shed-Happens

Yeah, Amish, Mennonite folks. Chopping off a finger, and continuing to work. Rolling horse drawn buggies, cutting electricity with an axe to do a repo. I've seen and heard it all.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
5/12/22 3:10 p.m.

Well, it was moved today.  Driver was very prompt and communicative throughout.  Parked down the street, pulled out the Mule and hooked on to the shed.  My house was 5 houses up from there, the manager was going to load, move 300 ft. and unload.   Driver said pssshh, right up the road.

Once in my drive way he pulled out the radio controller and worked effortlessly to the spot 300 feet away.   I had the site leveled and four brick buttons to hit, nailed it.  For the $750 how could I do better?  It's ~30 feet behind the garage.  It's insulated, wired and yes, that's a phone connection.

Thank you! 

Trish is going to Connecticut tonight, be back Saturday afternoon; it may be painted by then.  =~ )

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
6/21/22 4:44 p.m.

Sorry, job, projects  (domestic & auto), family, a very late update.  It's done.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
6/21/22 6:44 p.m.

Looks good! love the red shutters.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa PowerDork
6/22/22 8:06 a.m.
gunner (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to stuart in mn :

The ones under the shed? Those are permanent.  It has already passed inspection.  The previous shed had a similar arrangement since 1995. Don't worry,  after I get the siding on you'll never be able to tell.

Whoever passed that inspection needs their license revoked. 

CMU block, oriented so that the holes are visible like in that picture has frightening strength values.  If there is significant side loading on the building (from wind, or you trundling something from one side to the other) the building can sway and cause the blocks to collapse.

If the block is rotated 90° so the holes go up and down then it has its full compressive strength

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
oJEKo80bMMmPyW1vP2Z8a3aznMqhj12kiFiMcd3d5hstvOeeu2l2Zw0TOlG65Q0r