Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
6/25/22 3:52 p.m.

Seems reasonable 

red_stapler
red_stapler SuperDork
6/25/22 4:09 p.m.
Recon1342 said:

I'd much rather get back to talking about cylinder heads and cams, but it seems I'll not get my wishes. 

Help me understand why you can't talk about cylinder heads and cams.  Are the threads about those being derailed by trolls or something?

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
6/25/22 4:11 p.m.

Narrow minded compared to what you think?  Or do you accept people that think the opposite of you in each case?  

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
6/25/22 4:17 p.m.

"I'm not narrow minded, but don't force me to learn or teach about things I don't like". 

Peak internet. 

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE SuperDork
6/25/22 4:27 p.m.
Recon1342 said:

People can be so damned narrow-minded. I'm a white, male, heterosexual, Liberty-loving, gun packing American. Apparently that means I'm related to the antichrist. 

Hi welcome to the club

To: The mods- yep, I just made your job harder. The double standards here are getting to be a little much. I'd much rather get back to talking about cylinder heads and cams, but it seems I'll not get my wishes. 

I've seen no other opinions threads, the gun threads are chill and full of evidence to back opinions, dudes are still updating others on the bangsticks they recently bought.

Fueled by Caffeine
6/25/22 4:35 p.m.

In reply to Recon1342 :

I'm an athiest.  I don't want to have under god on my currency.  Stop forcing your way of life on me. 

CrustyRedXpress
CrustyRedXpress HalfDork
6/25/22 4:44 p.m.
Recon1342 said:

To: The mods- yep, I just made your job harder. The double standards here are getting to be a little much. I'd much rather get back to talking about cylinder heads and cams, but it seems I'll not get my wishes. 

Did you just go on a political rant, brag about making the mod's live's harder, and then complain that you're somehow unable to start a discussion about cylinder heads?

Recon1342
Recon1342 SuperDork
6/25/22 4:50 p.m.

I went ahead and deleted my posts. 

Sorry for getting wound up, y'all. 

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE SuperDork
6/25/22 4:50 p.m.

In reply to Recon1342 :

I've became an ICU nurse right before COVID hit. At the worst, I was receiving a death threat from a family member about every week for the past 2 straight years.

Anytime I've heard claims of "Demonizing" it means "I'm told things I don't like on facebook"

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) MegaDork
6/25/22 4:53 p.m.
Recon1342 said:

In reply to Fueled by Caffeine :

If I believe as a Christian that homosexuality is a grave sin, and you tell me I have to teach my children it is not, you are infringing on my freedom of religion.

Emphasis mine. I know you didn't mean me, specifically, but I have to point out that  I have no obligation to uphold your freedom of religion, nor do you have one to uphold mine. The government has limitation in that regard, not individuals.

Not saying that discussion can't happen, and it can't be respectful- discussion should happen on *all topics* and it should always be respectful- or at least not antagonistic. It's how bad ideas (not referencing religion, here) get proven wrong. It's also how people come to understand each other's positions.

We, as a society, have gotten pretty bad at respectful debate. 

Recon1342
Recon1342 SuperDork
6/25/22 4:55 p.m.

In reply to Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) :

No, I meant the "you" as in the government, although there are a lot of citizens who would do the same. 

Recon1342
Recon1342 SuperDork
6/25/22 4:57 p.m.
GIRTHQUAKE said:

In reply to Recon1342 :

I've became an ICU nurse right before COVID hit. At the worst, I was receiving a death threat from a family member about every week for the past 2 straight years.

Anytime I've heard claims of "Demonizing" it means "I'm told things I don't like on facebook"

It's sad that people feel the need to stoop to such levels. I used to be a paramedic. Never got death threats, but I've made some people very angry. 

Fueled by Caffeine
6/25/22 5:07 p.m.

I really feel bad for middle aged right wing conservatives.  So persecuted.  So attacked.  

we should start a go fund me for them. 

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
6/25/22 5:10 p.m.
Recon1342 said:

In reply to Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) :

No, I meant the "you" as in the government, although there are a lot of citizens who would do the same. 

Last I checked, the government doesn't read this forum.

Well... the legistlature doesn't. I'm sure an office under the executive branch has somebody who keeps tabs on us.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
6/25/22 5:25 p.m.

Still not sure what makes you sad,,,

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
6/25/22 5:27 p.m.
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) said:

We, as a society, have gotten pretty bad at respectful debate. 

This sums it up.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
6/25/22 5:34 p.m.

I missed all the fun.  GRM needs to embrace the practice of quoting for posterity.

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
6/25/22 5:34 p.m.

In reply to Recon1342 :

Sent you a PM

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
6/25/22 5:40 p.m.

I find it sad that society expects me to work 40 hours a week to support myself instead of me waking up and then just working on my cars.

All of my cars have  cams and heads but pretty sure my C3 has a 3/4 race cam and double hump heads. Summit aluminum heads are double hump right?

Recon1342
Recon1342 SuperDork
6/25/22 5:41 p.m.

In reply to Indy - Guy :

Got it.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
6/25/22 5:54 p.m.
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) said:
Recon1342 said:

In reply to Fueled by Caffeine :

If I believe as a Christian that homosexuality is a grave sin, and you tell me I have to teach my children it is not, you are infringing on my freedom of religion.

Emphasis mine. I know you didn't mean me, specifically, but I have to point out that  I have no obligation to uphold your freedom of religion, nor do you have one to uphold mine.

No, your children should be taught the some people believe homosexuality is a grave sin, and some do not.

But requiring that EVERYONE'S children be taught it is a sin, or be taught nothing at all on the subject, is far more damaging.

Because your particular definition of sin is not the same as everyone else's definition.

XLR99 (Forum Supporter)
XLR99 (Forum Supporter) Dork
6/25/22 6:14 p.m.

You're not going to get 'meaningful discussion' when the people on the 'other side' believe that they are in an existential crisis.

Its like expecting Zelenskyy to go have a fireside chat with Putie over a few shots of vodka. 

Im a 50 something white guy, definitely not part of an oppressed demographic.  However, virtually all of my co-workers have massive life- altering concerns about what Thomas said yesterday, not to mention millions of other Americans.

TJL (Forum Supporter)
TJL (Forum Supporter) Dork
6/25/22 6:42 p.m.

Everyone should TURN OF THE NEWS! Stop letting idiot trolls on facebook spin you up. News was not meant to be entertainment.  Its turned into a political joke, all around. People go out of their way to gaslight themselves into thinking the sky is falling.  

funny thing is, when you really avoid politics and realize that ALL OF IT is "politics" and therefor BS, remove it from your life and just go live, you will find life is pretty good. Anxiety calms a bit, its easier to relax and just treat ALL people like they are humans. Its good!  Take some interest in your own well being and sanity, quit caring what everyone else does, especially when it comes to the government. They are NOT here to help you or give a berk about what you want. 

if your politics or religion push you to dislike ANYONE because of a political or "religious" reason, you should realize that maybe your getting manipulated for someone else's political wants. Religion is politics. 

If you argue or fight with anyone over religion or politics, you are doing exactly what the trolls want. 

good luck y'all! Lots of love. 

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
6/25/22 7:20 p.m.

At the request of the OP, I'll be removing this thread on Monday. For now it's locked. 

This topic is locked. No further posts are being accepted.

Our Preferred Partners
xaeWDhQZtl5BU5n5TIfiiBzxJmu3yguOr9N87JfpWchC5I3I6tsPzzs62F7zMGmF