1 2
dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
9/22/18 8:11 p.m.

Ok so it has a K in the name.

I had no real need for this. An 8700k would have been fine but I wanted it.  My new hot rod PC that I am building is going to be able to surf GRM really well. Lol.  This is going to be my “best” computer to date.  

I am thinking of doing a build thread on it. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
9/22/18 8:20 p.m.

8086...8087...whatever it takes. 

Brian
Brian MegaDork
9/22/18 8:28 p.m.

Shiny.  Unfortunately I’m too out of the hardware game to know if I can talk E36 M3 and do some AMD Richard swinging. 

Otherwise a build thread sounds fun. I’ve been contemplating a throwback 98 or XP build for nostalgia purposes. 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
9/22/18 9:12 p.m.

Well, you better have a good "drivetrain" and "suspension" for that "motor", otherwise it's like dropping a rotary in a Spitfire engine bay (what kind of nimrod would do thatdevil).  I hope you're motherboard has an a few M2 slots in it.

One suggestion: make sure you get a nice and quite CPU cooler.  If you are going with SSD's (which you better) the cooler is the only noise it will make.  I can look up the one I put in mine if you like (just built a few months ago), it's dead quite, the computer makes almost no noise at all.  I avoided the K model processor because the last computer I built was all setup for overclocking, and I never did bother with it. 

Are GPU prices still stupid high because of all the digital coin miners?

Computers are just too easy to build these days... back in the day we had to deal with IRC's etc...  THOSE were REAL computers..

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
9/23/18 9:48 a.m.

In reply to aircooled :

Got that covered. 

For the chassis I have a ROG strix z370

The frame / unibody is a Fractal design Define R6  it comes with three cooling fans  I have added two more  one more on the top to extract more heat and one on the bottom to provide air directly on the GPU

Suspension system includes a Samsung v-nand 970 pro NVMe M.2 500gb

and Corsair vengeance lax 3600mhz ddr4 16 gb (2x8)

The cooling system is going to be initially handled by a Noctua NH-D15S. I wimped out on putting a AIO or custom water cooling. There have been two many story’s of these failing and taking the system with it. The cooler I selected has benchmarked as good or better than all but best liquid cooled systems. I have reached out to Evanscoolant to see what the electrical conductivity of there waterless coolant is. If this pans out I may consider going custom water cooling.  Because the Noctua is So efferent it is actually less noisy than an AIO or custom water as it will rarely spin up to max and the fans are designed for low/no sound. There as the AIO type systems have both a pump and in my case would have two fans and they would spin up more often. 

For a bigger trunk I could have gone with a second M.2 or a SSD but I wanted  the capacity of a large truck so instead I went with a Seagate BarraCuta Pro 4 TB

Forced induction (the graphics or GPU) currently will be done with a nvidia strix GeForce GTX 1070ti. However I will more than likely be taking that back out and putting that in my wife’s computer as she currently is using a 1060 that she is maxing out. For my needs I will be getting a Nvidia quadro 2000. For what I will be using this machine for it will be a much better fit. 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
9/23/18 9:58 a.m.

Nice!  An anniversary edition.  Does it come with a commemorative plaque?

Jumper K Balls
Jumper K Balls PowerDork
9/23/18 9:59 a.m.

Wait ....

Did they really bring back the 8086 moniker?

Saw the thread title and thought "I'm sure I still have a pc xt in the attic somewhere"

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
9/23/18 10:03 a.m.

Before anyone asks yes this is not a cheep machine.  I consider it a value for money build for the performance point I am aiming for. I could have easily spent another $1000-1500 but you are getting in to the point of diminishing returns. Also. I will be using this mostly for work. Rendering speed and being able to Handel 3D Autocad and Revit are important. Gaming is not what it was built for.  

My son and I just finished a gaming machine (for him) at about the same price point based on the AMD Ryzen 2700 that has been an ongoing series of upgrades over the last two years that I should also do a build thread on. That culminated in the addition of a new 240mghz monitor. We now get true 200fps running games at max graphics settings at 1080p.  It is truly amazing for what it is. 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
9/23/18 10:04 a.m.

In reply to Jumper K Balls :

Yes.  Yes they did. 

https://newsroom.intel.com/news/intel-i7-8086k-processor/

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
9/23/18 10:05 a.m.
Jumper K Balls said:

Wait ....

Did they really bring back the 8086 moniker?

Saw the thread title and thought "I'm sure I still have a pc xt in the attic somewhere"

Yep. Why I had to have it.  Being I started on a 8086 I just had to have it/build it. 

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
9/23/18 10:15 a.m.

That should cook pretty good.  My "big" box is a Lenovo with a 3.5GHz Xeon processor and 32GB RAM.  I don't think I've ever seen the processor or RAM at over 25% usage.  Graphics is Nvidia Quadro K620.  Bought it about 4 years ago.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
9/23/18 10:20 a.m.

In reply to Dr. Hess :

My next build (for my office) will be a Xeon based machine.  We are more and more needing the hp of one of these. I was at micro center yesterday and for only $1800 surprise you can own a 32 core Xeon processor. Yes just the chip for that $$$$$$.  

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
9/23/18 10:26 a.m.
1988RedT2 said:

Nice!  An anniversary edition.  Does it come with a commemorative plaque?

If so it is very small as the box is not much bigger than a deck of cards. If it is in there it would be cool to put it on the case.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
9/23/18 10:29 a.m.

I paid more than that for an Apple //e, unadjusted for inflation.  Adjusted, close to triple that. This one is a quad core.  When you pull up task manager, it looks like 8 cores as it has something to do with core management for throughput.  Not sure on it, as that's not my expertise, but it might be 8 physical cores but 4 logical ones.  Anyway, it will un-RAR a file or rebuild one from PAR2's in no time.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler PowerDork
9/23/18 10:43 a.m.
1988RedT2 said:

In reply to Jumper K Balls :

Yes.  Yes they did. 

https://newsroom.intel.com/news/intel-i7-8086k-processor/

Nice to see them nod to us old-school nerds. I never owned an 8086, in those days I was playing with 6502s. My first x86 processor was a 386SX-20 in about 1990 or so when I started getting serious about CAD.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
9/23/18 10:49 a.m.
Brian said:

Shiny.  Unfortunately I’m too out of the hardware game to know if I can talk E36 M3 and do some AMD Richard swinging. 

Otherwise a build thread sounds fun. I’ve been contemplating a throwback 98 or XP build for nostalgia purposes. 

Hay start swinging it. Some nerd smack talking is always fun. 

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
9/23/18 10:52 a.m.

If anyone in the Boston area wants an I7 8700k there is an open box for $280 at Microcenter. I just looked at there web site and it is now listed. That is my open box that I traded in yesterday for the 8086. It was only opened never installed on a board.  

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
9/23/18 11:29 a.m.
aircooled said:

Are GPU prices still stupid high because of all the digital coin miners?

Computers are just too easy to build these days... back in the day we had to deal with IRC's etc...  THOSE were REAL computers..

They have come back down now. The cost of the power and parts now exceeds the cripto return. We are starting to see people trying to sell them used thinking they are still worth a big percentage of the inflated price they paid. Now with the GPU prices back down to normal and the new 20** series of cards coming out all those cards purchased for cripto mining are about worthless. I will bet we will start seeing them on the used market in a year for really cheep.   My 1070ti was about $440 new. There are cheaper 1070s out there.  You could probably get one in the high $300s. The specific one I got in my opinion is about the best 1070ti on the market and to me worth the small price bump. About the same as a 2000 series Quadro card these days.  

I remember those days. I don’t miss them. 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
9/23/18 12:33 p.m.

Seems like only yesterday that RAM was selling for 100 bucks a MegaByte, and you needed EIGHT of the darn things to build a proper system.

bluej
bluej UberDork
9/23/18 12:50 p.m.

moar RAM.  

red_stapler
red_stapler Dork
9/23/18 1:10 p.m.

The 8086 is a beast, nothing touches their single thread performance.  

JAGwinn
JAGwinn New Reader
9/23/18 2:47 p.m.

Remember, Kids...you will also need a Math Coprecessor.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler PowerDork
9/23/18 5:20 p.m.
JAGwinn said:

Remember, Kids...you will also need a Math Coprecessor.

Yeah, first thing I added to my 386SX was a Cyrix FasMath Coprocessor. AutoCAD literally wouldn't run without one. Second thing was a Soundblaster. Partially for the sound, and partially because it had a game port built in, so one less card I needed to buy.

Anybody remember playing around with AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS to try and free up as much of the 640k of base memory as possible? I got to be pretty good at that......

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
9/23/18 6:25 p.m.

So we put the finishing touches on my sons PC tonight. A new noctua cooler for his pc to replace the shall I say less than optimal cooler that came with the AMD chip and motherboard we installed last weekend.  

First. Yes size does matter. Also the number of heat pipes matters.

Stock AMD on the left Noctua on the right. 

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
9/23/18 7:09 p.m.

Putting the thermal paste on. 

For those that are AMD fans yes this is a 2700

I was actually a little worried about that it would fit but that turned out to not be an issue

And my boy putting the gpu back in to finish the final mod to his system

The temps are now much better. This is basically the end of a two year journey my son and I took. Two years ago he knew nothing about computers other than he liked to play on them and he wanted one.  I gave him a $1000 budget and said go research it and come back with a parts list. I would then review it and be asking some tough questions about the choices. Ten weeks later he brought me the list. And he had educated himself to the point where he knew why he was wanting things and what were his reasoning for the choices he made with respect to performance versus cost. I then oversaw him build it. Teaching him what I knew.  For the record it booted on the first power-up.  I was a proud dad. The system has evolved over the last two years. He and I have a lot of fun. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2IVnf5Z5IA03Rz14dqNKCX4PlwRUsBnM8rHrQhKm35Folf3pNlXjnEeTR2st1Akh