1 2
Shadeux
Shadeux Dork
11/26/22 4:00 p.m.

I'm not a fan.

It seems the EFI needs lots of revving before pulling out into traffic also.

hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass Dork
11/26/22 4:11 p.m.

Something tells me it's the owner.

I see/hear a lot of that around here too. Loudest cars are the ones who need high revs to get moving in traffic...

mtn
mtn MegaDork
11/26/22 4:28 p.m.

The VQ engine is one of the worst sounding engines I've heard. One of the reasons my dad could never quite warm up to his G37. 

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
11/26/22 5:50 p.m.

Awful sounding engines, combined with being insanely loud. I was starting one of the autocross heats at Daytona a while back, a straight piped G35 was the only car that made me want earplugs. 

Shadeux
Shadeux Dork
11/26/22 8:02 p.m.

The young guy was trying; had the stuper-sized wing, gold stanced wheels (which were kinda cool), and had the back 1/3's black while the rest was white.

Until...

Watching some paint fall off the wall inside the convenience store was kinda cool, I guess. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/26/22 8:35 p.m.
mtn said:

The VQ engine is one of the worst sounding engines I've heard. One of the reasons my dad could never quite warm up to his G37. 

I would typically agree but today a straight piped v6 manual mustang took top honors. VQ's have always sounded like ass. This was another level. The owner driving it in the most obnoxious manner didn't help, nor the incorrect offset wheels and massive wang with about a 20* angle of attack that just made me shake my head. 

TheRyGuy
TheRyGuy New Reader
11/26/22 8:42 p.m.

I wonder what it is about the VQ that makes it sound so awful? Manifold design? Cam timing? Pipe diameter? There are other V6's that sound good, why not this one?

dj06482 (Forum Supporter)
dj06482 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
11/26/22 8:46 p.m.

I might be the only person on earth who likes the VQ sound.  It's not my favorite, but I've heard worse.

Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter)
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/26/22 8:47 p.m.

I know I'm in the minority, and maybe because I've never heard a straight piped one, but I love the sound of a stock VQ, but V6's are my favorite sounding configuration, so much better than any V8, especially flat plane ones.  

red_stapler
red_stapler SuperDork
11/26/22 8:51 p.m.
TheRyGuy said:

I wonder what it is about the VQ that makes it sound so awful? Manifold design? Cam timing? Pipe diameter? There are other V6's that sound good, why not this one?

Nissan designed them to sound like an inline six, and as soon as you go to a dual exhaust they lose the plot.

I think they sound outstanding with just an intake.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/26/22 9:06 p.m.

I think they sound like My Little Brony farts.

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon UltraDork
11/26/22 9:08 p.m.

I got to experience a straight piped G35 with a snap crackle pop "tune" on the freeway the other day.

It was... real loud.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
11/27/22 1:15 a.m.

I think the engines sound okay with the OE exhaust system.

There are flex sections and flanges in unfortunate locations and a rather comprehensive mid muffler involved, and when it breaks, people go for the cheap route and eliminate stuff instead of fixing it right.  Then they sound awful.

birdmayne
birdmayne Reader
11/27/22 1:24 a.m.

A mild single pipe exhaust sounds nice with an intake. I loved listening to my G35 but hated my buddy's. His was straight piped with dual exhaust 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/27/22 6:21 a.m.

All straight piped V6s sound like ass.

Opti
Opti Dork
11/27/22 8:10 a.m.

Straight piped VQs are obnoxious but otherwise I think they sound good.

5.0 coyote is my least favorite sounding engine. If they are heavily muffled they sound fine. 95% of the exhausts available for them are too loud and they sound like ass. 

TJL (Forum Supporter)
TJL (Forum Supporter) Dork
11/27/22 8:40 a.m.

In reply to Opti :

nailed it on the 5.0. Fantastic motor, but people put on open exhausts and MAN it just sounds like loud ass. A flowmaster would probably work wonders. 

Actually i agree on the vq also, and im a big nissan guy whom also likes driving a loud exhaust. But, i did the old muffler delete which was great on the VG v6, and its fun on my 4cyl KA24DE,  but on my now gone 2012 frontier with 4.0 vq, the muffler delete was just annoying and i disliked it. It was loud, which is useful when you need to blast someone who isnt paying attention, but it really never sounded "good". Didnt have a good tone and resonated bad at highway speed. 

11/27/22 8:42 a.m.
Opti said:

Straight piped VQs are obnoxious but otherwise I think they sound good.

5.0 coyote is my least favorite sounding engine. If they are heavily muffled they sound fine. 95% of the exhausts available for them are too loud and they sound like ass. 

You know, now that you mention it, you're right about that. 

TJL (Forum Supporter)
TJL (Forum Supporter) Dork
11/27/22 8:51 a.m.

In reply to Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) :

Doc, keep an eye out for a nice blue newer  mustang in deland. It lives a street behind me(in DPE) and i think he manages the Orielly's by lowes. He has cutouts on it. Its LOUD. Like Very loud. I see him drive past, loud, then i hear him driving away for the next few minutes as he exits the neighborhood. And it does NOT sound good. Just loud. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
11/27/22 8:58 a.m.

Nothing loud sounds good.  It's just not pleasant.

OTOH my ideal is something like the M5 chase scene from Ronin, where all you hear is some mechanical whirring and intake honk.

QuasiMofo (John Brown)
QuasiMofo (John Brown) MegaDork
11/27/22 9:07 a.m.

I disagree. 

The cut pipe Lexus GS with the 3UZ sounded amazing. Not too loud but loud enough. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
11/27/22 9:38 a.m.

All straight piped anything that doesn't have more than  3/4" inch lift and 300 degrees on the cam sounds like ass.

How did we get to the point where its seemingly ignored by the police?  There used to be laws about noise, that don't seem to exist anymore.  Did all the lawyers buying pipes for their Hardley Rideisons make it too difficult to enforce, and it just spread from there?

11/27/22 9:59 a.m.

In reply to TJL (Forum Supporter) :

I don't know if I've seen it, but it might be the one I hear from my house (just south of the elementary school) pretty frequently. It's loud, and I'm sure it's a straight piped coyote. 

Opti
Opti Dork
11/27/22 10:05 a.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

I like loud cars, I like really loud cars.

I think the problem is when these cars are super loud just trying to slowly pull away from a stop light. I can deal with louder than stock putting around but I can't deal with racecar loud just trying to grab some chicken tendies. I need it to mellow out from like 1500-3000, have a rowdy idle, and be loud when I'm messing around.

j_tso
j_tso HalfDork
11/27/22 10:30 a.m.

I'm in the "sounds good stock" camp and still kinda want one.

Recently saw this one at the grocery store, first one I had seen in a while that wasn't a drift missile.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
y8RMaZy7Viii8tBFQTEdLICLunz867Xm5yKF1A8dXrWBfNzTy2PvqgVXeTcgX07x