2 3 4 5
tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
1/11/22 12:52 p.m.

Setting ISO to 1600 (still portrait mode) actually had it use the flash on this guy

I think every picture is worse when I manually set the ISO

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
1/11/22 12:54 p.m.
pres589 (djronnebaum) said:

It's all an opinion, and ability to deal with noise in post-processing, but I don't think I'd want the ISO any higher than 3200 in-camera with a D3200. 

I think I'd set an ISO max at 1600 and let the camera adjust ISO if the scene allows for less, shoot RAW, and push in post as needed.  If things start coming out really grainy in post there's always black & white conversion so the noise is a bit less noticeable.

Shooting a wedding with an 18-55 kit lens is a way to add interesting challenges... I understand the tools available are the tools available. 

I set the ISO -to- 1600 for those, I didn't misunderstand you, I just wanted to show what it was doing with known ISO

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
1/11/22 1:06 p.m.

Aperture priority with ISO at 800

with ISO at 200

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
1/11/22 1:06 p.m.

Nothing is better than auto or portrait mode so far.

Shadeux
Shadeux Dork
1/11/22 1:24 p.m.

Looks good. Try some shots outside. I would go Auto-ISO and let the green setting handle it all. Ideally "Auto" is utilizing all the camera can accomplish, so fire away.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
1/11/22 1:29 p.m.

In any of the manual modes I do not see a way to do auto ISO. I tried the tips here: https://www.cameratips.com/d3200/cheat-cards#18-55mm but honestly my results look better in auto or portrait than anything else.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
1/11/22 1:30 p.m.

I can't get outside today, really. I have exceeded my "at work but not really working time" for today.

the_machina
the_machina Reader
1/11/22 2:18 p.m.

Looking pretty good so far.

The pics of the turtle are a good practice for taking staged pics of the rings before the ceremony. Take the engagement ring, wedding bands, and put them on some roses to get fancy close-up pics. When you're taking those pics, move the whole setup around the room to find good light (look through the camera, you'll know it when you see it) and take some fancy close-up shots of the rings. Move the PASM dial to the flower pic (that's the close-up macro mode) for the close-up pics, or for pics of the bouquet, the food, etc. Then switch the dial right back to portrait scene mode for people pics.

If you have or can borrow a tripod for pics of stuff, use it and it'll give you slightly better results. Tripods are handy for the pic of the bouquet on the table, the rings, the dress on a hanger, etc. Then put the tripod away and never use it for people pics, during the ceremony, during the reception, etc.

For the camera you're using, it will fire the flash when it thinks it's needed for portrait mode or in close-up macro mode, so don't worry if it fires.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
1/11/22 2:25 p.m.

One more thing. How do you take pictures?

We have a simple old church with one aisle. I can get the bridal party downstairs getting ready beforehand. I can get the groom posse in the conference room adjacent to the podium. I can get people being seated. I can figure out how to get the bridesmaids and groomsmen walking out together.

How in the world do I get ahead of the bridesmaids, ring bearer, flower girl, and bride as they walk towards the front? Do I just stand in front of them and assume everyone will be looking at them? 

What do I wear to blend in, just dark pants, sportcoat and hope for the best?

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
1/11/22 2:26 p.m.

In reply to the_machina :

Thanks! More good advice and I really appreciate it.

the_machina
the_machina Reader
1/11/22 2:57 p.m.
tuna55 said:

One more thing. How do you take pictures?

We have a simple old church with one aisle. I can get the bridal party downstairs getting ready beforehand. I can get the groom posse in the conference room adjacent to the podium. I can get people being seated. I can figure out how to get the bridesmaids and groomsmen walking out together.

How in the world do I get ahead of the bridesmaids, ring bearer, flower girl, and bride as they walk towards the front? Do I just stand in front of them and assume everyone will be looking at them? 

What do I wear to blend in, just dark pants, sportcoat and hope for the best?

As long as you have a fancy camera in your hands at an event, you're invisible until you start giving orders, and at that point you're in charge.

Wear dark pants and a sportcoat if you're comfortable in it, or dark pants and a white shirt if you're comfortable in that. Either way you're fine, nobody is going to give you a second look.

You can stand behind the officiant and get pics of the bridal party coming down the aisle. You can stand off to the side and get pictures of the bride's face as the officiant is speaking, circle around behind and get the groom crying as the bride gives her vows. You're allowed to walk behind where people are never allowed to walk, you're there working. You're allowed on the altar behind the priest, you're allowed to stand in front of the folks in the front row. Don't park yourself between the mother of the bride and her baby for more than a shot or two, but you're there to document things for your friends, you're allowed anywhere except between the bride and groom.

If you can, set up your pixel on a tripod (or use a rubber band to attach it to a candle holder, get creative) and use it to record video of the ceremony. It doesn't have to be perfect, it doesn't have to be absolutely level, but the words and emotions that you'll get will be valuable. For a $6000 wedding photography package there would be wireless mics, three video cameras, etc. You're doing a favor for a good friend and just getting the ceremony recorded as video will be WAY better than nothing. Stick your pixel on a stand somewhere, get it framing where the action will be, and start recording. 1080p will be fine for this, no need for 4k.

You got this!

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
1/12/22 12:10 a.m.

These are looking much better today. 

I don't know how to tell the Nikon how to have a max ISO of 3200 or 1600 with auto settings also happening.  I shoot with digital Pentax bodies so it's different.  You may not need to worry about it... I like the slightly under-exposed appearing images, and if you shoot in RAW mode, those can be fixed nicely on the computer later.

procainestart
procainestart Dork
1/12/22 2:14 a.m.

You mentioned your budget is $0. Is that your friend's budget, too? If there's some money, I'd go to fredmiranda.com, join the forum, go the wedding photographer subforum, where pros hang out, and ask if someone in your neck of the woods is available. Mention that the photographer bailed -- that's unconscionable in the profession.

Wedding photography has an apprenticeship element to it, and people often enter the business as "second shooters," folks who support a primary, experienced photographer. Your friend may be able to find someone who's ordinarily a second shooter -- skilled with a camera but not an established wedding photographer and who will shoot the event for a reasonable price.

grover
grover Dork
1/12/22 9:55 p.m.
procainestart said:

You mentioned your budget is $0. Is that your friend's budget, too? If there's some money, I'd go to fredmiranda.com, join the forum, go the wedding photographer subforum, where pros hang out, and ask if someone in your neck of the woods is available. Mention that the photographer bailed -- that's unconscionable in the profession.

Wedding photography has an apprenticeship element to it, and people often enter the business as "second shooters," folks who support a primary, experienced photographer. Your friend may be able to find someone who's ordinarily a second shooter -- skilled with a camera but not an established wedding photographer and who will shoot the event for a reasonable price.

This is good advice, though I have not ever known anyone to use FM.com You could still shoot as the second photographer. 

procainestart
procainestart Dork
1/13/22 1:18 a.m.

In reply to grover :

Yes, I should've been clearer. fredmiranda.com is a website for photo geeks; certain subforums are frequented by a bunch of pros, of which the wedding subforum is one. It's not a marketplace to find a photographer, but if I were a photographer there looking to gain some experience, had some sympathy for the bride, and the availability, I'd consider offering if I saw a post by someone in a E36 M3ty situation days before their wedding.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
1/13/22 8:26 a.m.

The borrowed camera is a Canon EOS 7D mark 2 with a 300-16 lens

It's really good. Pictures to come in daylight.

grover
grover Dork
1/13/22 9:38 a.m.

In reply to procainestart :

Sorry- I wasn't clear. I just wasn't aware of that one.  No knock, just saying that I wasn't aware. There were other popular places when I and others were coming into the industry 15 years ago or more. 
agree on trying to figure something out. 

grover
grover Dork
1/13/22 9:39 a.m.

In reply to tuna55 :

I can send you a 28 1.8 to borrow if you'd like. Good lens on a crop sensor for portraits. Lmk. I'm also in south Florida so there may not be time. 

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
1/13/22 9:43 a.m.
grover said:

In reply to tuna55 :

I can send you a 28 1.8 to borrow if you'd like. Good lens on a crop sensor for portraits. Lmk. I'm also in south Florida so there may not be time. 

That's incredibly kind, but I don't think it's required. I can't thank you enough for the offer.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
1/13/22 3:04 p.m.

So these are a bit better than the other camera I think, but I have not yet figured out how to make it focus on a specific thing yet. It's in full auto, and my generous friend set up the auto parameters for me. I suspect it's on some form of matrix focus, and a few of them are out. I took this picture of a flower (My flower-lady plucked the one I was shooting yesterday) and it focused on the nearby leaves instead.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
1/13/22 3:07 p.m.

Actually maybe the Nikon was better? The lighting was better yesterday whereas today is overcast. Hmm let me try again with the lights on.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
1/13/22 3:13 p.m.

Here they are with the room (F) lights on

BLurry near the upper part for sure.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
1/13/22 3:14 p.m.

Honestly the borrowed Canon doesn't seem any better. I do have three batteries and a more adjustable lens, so it will win for this weekend. I can probably report back to Tunawife that her camera can hang with the big boy here though.

tester (Forum Supporter)
tester (Forum Supporter) Reader
1/14/22 8:21 a.m.

Bring both cameras and the phone(s). Have Tunawife and/or Tuna kids fire away with the other cameras and phone. 

We had a pro and an amateur photographer at our wedding.  Honestly, the amateur took the best stuff. His pictures were unscripted and fun. 

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
1/14/22 8:25 a.m.

I stopped at the church yesterday on the way home to take some samples. Obviously there are no people, but overall they are good given that they have no real focus point. They might be a touch yellow.

I also photographed the rooms where the groom posse and bridal party will be, but those rooms are really boring. I'm working towards a foot path plan and will share it soon.

2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EeBTA9mUqPjj8vcyKVaHTJ1xli4y3K2zjfSscSaGbMjVCeF8fxFDL2kxddT0ZDj9