CarKid1989
CarKid1989 SuperDork
7/1/19 9:10 p.m.

For my 30th birthday this year my wife suggested we do a cross country motorcycle trip. After taking two myself and sharing with her all my adventures and excitement I feel as though she thought it would be fun to do a big trip like this together.  Awesome.  We blocked out time from the end of August to the beginning of September similar to the duration of my other trips. (also what work would allow)

The plan from the rip was to take a motorcycle.  I had sold my FZ1 to purchase a larger and more tour minded bike and things were going well.  We sat on a few and got a short list together. (FJR1300, Vstar1300, Concours, etc) All came with luggage/ panniers/ sidecases and although small combined with a top case and careful planning we thought it would be doable.  We would not stay at hotels, instead we would "camp" and couch surf with some friends. Camping meant essentially we were just gonna KOA or campsite in a tent or possibly hammocks.

And here is where we started talking to family and friends about the trip and things started going south...

Many suggested that comfort would be an issues and that my wife would be miserable for that many miles (last trip was 8500? or was it 6500 miles).  People said no way was there enough room for all the gear needed (even at the bare bones we were planning on)  How were you going to camp?

If we had a friend to stay at every night then we could forgo camping gear totally but not sure that will pan out. ADVRider has their member run camp sites so that helps but still requires gear. We cant budget hotels.  Air BnB is an option that might work assuming you can keep nightly lodging under$30 a night?

In short, a ton of issues were brought up and it got to the point where the two of us were starting to rethink the plans.

However, this was an epic birthday trip and I always wanted to take my wife on a bike trip like this before we start a family and have those responsibilities. Its different and more exciting on a motorcycle.

So we spent a few days brain storming...

Options were reduced to these:

1) Take the bike, have a hell of a trip and have stories for a lifetime (I am partial to this but I understand the concerns of others) 

2) Instead of buying a motorcycle, spend the allotted motorcycle money on a NA/NB Miata and do the same trip with camping but in a convertible instead of a motorcycle.

3) Take the CRV that we already own and take the trip in that.  Its reliable and set to go and we have a soft spot for DD beater car trips as well (We had the Saturn SL2 "JellyBean" for 327,000 miles of adventures) Camp and do the trip just like option 1 and 2 but if weather gets bad we can camp in the CRV (I will pull out the rear seats and there is plenty of room in a pinch)

Each one has pro and con lists rolling on an on in my head.  Some are more practical, some are more epic and adventurous. Full disclosure here, my wife is amazing and up for anything and a really good sport for darn near anything, however, the longest day trip we took was max about 135 miles on the FZ1. That is not a comfy bike for the passenger.  And I understand that if we do this trip we are entering some bit of unknown for long distance comfort. She said she is up for it.

I am not looking for a 100% answer here but maybe some thoughts/input/ brainstorming to help make a good choice.

Thank you all.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
7/1/19 9:16 p.m.

I would argue that my recently purchased GL1500 Goldwing has nearly as much storage space as an NA Miata. Maybe look at a full blown touring bikes instead of touring-capable bikes? After all, that's what they're built for.

Either way, if you're planning to take the bike I'd do a bunch of practise runs to slowly stretch the range rather than trying to do 500 miles in a single hit the first day.

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 SuperDork
7/1/19 9:22 p.m.

Bike budget has to be kept, should have added that in there. $3500-4000 is what the bike max. 

So Goldwing = awesome, just not in budget.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
7/1/19 9:40 p.m.

I paid a bit more for mine, but that’s because it had under 40k miles on it. You can definitely find a 1500 Wing for your budget, or a BMW tourer. 

ae86andkp61
ae86andkp61 Dork
7/1/19 9:50 p.m.

As someone who dreams about and plans for cross-country motorcycle trips, my advice is to stick with the bike and scale the trip to make it doable.

My dad is in his 70's and is a lifelong motorcyclist who has been on some amazing and awesome bike trips in his lifetime. I was recently discussing with him trying to manage my own personal growing-out-of-control bike collection and how to scale it down. The particular discussion point was a bike capable of some serious mile-eating sport touring. He said, "A great trip is never about the miles, it's about the hours and days." Thinking on it, I feel like those are some wise words. Some of the best rides I've ever taken have been within 200 miles of home, taking all day on the small and slow backroads without a real agenda.

In my case (solo travel) we were talking about a smaller bike, but I think there is some validity for your situation as well, but perhaps more with the trip plan and less with the bike.

Stick to the touring bike with luggage. Maybe look to save a few hundred on the bike budget (Kawasaki Concours or Honda PC800?) and put the extra $$ into emergency lodging fund as needed. Sit down with a map and plot out friends and family you can stay with, and plan a route (maybe only around part of the country) with the minimum of expensive (airbnb, cheap hotel, etc) nights to fill in as needed. Save the money and space on camping gear. If you have extra time, don't look to cover more miles, but rather spend the time meandering on local side roads, and stop here and there to take in whatever type of local attractions appeal to you. YMMV, but this would be my approach.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
7/1/19 10:33 p.m.

You could watch for a used motorcycle trailer and use that for carrying the baggage that won't fit on the bike.  I just found one on my local Craigslist with an asking price of $375, so they're out there.  Of course you'd have to add a hitch to the bike, so there's a little more money but it shouldn't be too much.

Depending on which bike you choose, an aftermarket seat (Corbin, Sergeant, etc.) may improve comfort for both you and your wife.

Cooter
Cooter SuperDork
7/1/19 11:15 p.m.

As someone who has taken many trips on 2 wheels, both solo and with my wife and on a variety of bikes, I have a very important first question for you-  have the two of you ever taken any trips over 200 miles together?   This trip can be much much different for your wife (and you) than planned if you haven't taken long trips together.    I actually knew my wife was The One when we took a few several day excursions on my Ducati Monster with all of our gear inside a backpack that she had to wear since there was no easy way to mount bags on it while riding two-up at that time.

Simple things like wearing a full face helmet (which I insisted on before she ever rode with me) were more of a challenge than either of us thought that they would be.   I compromised by staying in hotels each night, and she learned to pack very light.  

We had a ton of fun, and when we later decided to do a two-up SaddleSore 1K (1,000 miles in 24 hours) on a V65 Sabre  had just picked up, she felt like she was rising in the lap of luxury with the comfy, wide seat, KG backrest, and all the places to attach luggage (we had some soft saddlebags we added, along with a big tankbag and another bag on the rack)  

But I have learned that no one wants to ride for as long as I do; the range of my tank is always my limiting factor, and her bladder can't usually hold out that long.  She also fell asleep a couple times on the big Honda- that sure as heck never happened on the Ducati!  So I try to make sure that I can tell she is getting groggy before I feel her helmet flop onto my shoulder.  The Cardo Scala Rider headsets also help a ton, as we love to talk on all of our road trips.

I'm not sure how long of a trip you are taking, but we decided a few years ago to pick up a BMW 1150GS for a trip to the PNW and/or possibly up to Alaska, if we ever get the time.  The big Bimmers are really good for eating up the miles, and have plenty of options for panniers, tankbags, and other storage.  The prices are pretty reasonable, IMO, and they usually aren't beat, but can tend to be high miles.  Aside from the driveshaft splines, that really isn't a big deal at all, though.    Heck, my V65 has over 65K miles on it.  

Just go out and have fun.   I wouldn't even plan on it being epic, but just go out and start riding, and see how you both feel each day, and see where you end up.   That is usually how the best trips happen for us.  Schedules usually kill the buzz for us.

Oh, and we need to have a Ride Report with plenty of pictures!

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
7/2/19 5:39 a.m.
BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
7/2/19 7:51 a.m.

GL1500 in your budget

K1200LT BMW well within your budget

Suzuki Cavalcade

Yamaha Venture - needs a bit of work, but it's only $1800

None of these is what I'd call fashionable, but they're all decent tourers designed for two-up comfort. The K1200LT is a bit of a PITA to look after due to the amount of plastic that has to be removed every time you touch it. GL1500 need timing belts occasionally, but even that isn't super expensive - I just had mine done at the dealer for about $500.

jfryjfry
jfryjfry Dork
7/2/19 7:54 a.m.

I think Cooter has it - unless she has experienced riding hundreds of miles on the back of a bike, it’s a guess whether or not she’d like it.    

I’d think that most gals would not - can’t move, can’t see forward, feels dangerous, cant talk unless you have intercoms and then can’t make eye contact while talking...

Maybe just start a random trip and if she thumbs-downs it, head home and head the other way in the crv 

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 SuperDork
7/2/19 9:47 a.m.

First of all that is some excellent advice from everyone. Thank you. I'm not looking to go out on this trip just to collect miles but as we are starting just outside of Cleveland Ohio and a lot of the destinations we would like to see are more Western USA, that is just kind of how it falls.

The advice about forgetting camping and just staying at hotels, airbnb's, family and friends is also excellent. That eliminates a lot of gear and weight and headache.

Also taking a full-on Touring bike as A-OK by me. I actually have a big crush on the Honda Goldwings. So that wouldn't even be a chore that would just be the cherry on top.

Not having a whole bunch of miles under her belt I'm sure would be a little bit of an adjustment. I'm going to call around and see if I could borrow a Buddies bike for a long weekend  or heck just see how many miles we can put out in one day without killing each other or my wife not being comfortable. Probably more the latter, as we do enjoy the adventures together.

Cooter
Cooter SuperDork
7/2/19 10:51 a.m.

You sound lke you have the perfect attitude for this. I'm sure you will both figure it out.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
7/2/19 10:58 a.m.

Just a thought on staying with people.  Will these people be okay if you arrive at 9pm and leave again at 8am?  Or, will they expect that you are there to visit them/spend the day with them?  You may need to find the right expectations on both your part and theirs.  

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 SuperDork
7/11/19 7:04 p.m.

Well I figured I would throw up an update...

We got it nailed down to two options to get this trip going.

Option 1: Buy Goldwing or other TOURING bike

Option 2: Take CR-V and take a coool road trip

I realize they are going to be two totally different experiences but its what will work best given the budget and timeline.

Been scouring CL and FB Marketplace for a nice GL1800.

Ill keep you posted

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
7/11/19 7:18 p.m.

For late August, early Sept, Northern, MI is a great destination that time of year. Follow the western coast of Michigan as much as reasonably possible being sure to get in at least Traverse City to Mackinac City. Cross the big bridge and make your way to Suete St Marie in the Upper Peninsula. 

This year, Labor Day is Mon, Sept 2nd. This means your vacation will be over a major holiday. But, Michigan has a law that schools can not start before Labor Day. However, this assures that all Michigan schools start Tues, Sept 3rd meaning that for the rest of the week travel crowds are down dramatically (but watch out for school busses and school zones) 

imgon
imgon HalfDork
7/12/19 4:51 a.m.

Travelling a bike is awesome, be sure to have a plan B/alternate route and leave some extra days for nasty weather or if you find a cool place to hangout. If you are getting a new to you bike get it soon and ride it alot before the trip.to get used to it and get it sorted. On that front do a couple of longish days with the wife and see how you both do. You could also start practicing packing on the trial trips to see what works and what doesn't.  My wife and I traveled together on my BMW R1100RT for a couple of seasons and you have enough room for about 3 days of clothing for 2 people without camping gear, it's challenging  to get what you need on a bike with two people.  She has since started riding  her own bike and still.is never happy with all the things she has to leave behind. Our most epic trip was to Sturgis, we did 4500 miles in 14 days, most days were 200-300 miles. Almost all on secondary roads, only did last 500 on highways as we were close to home and had burned up our "free" days.  Also on a long trip maintenance may be something that needs to be addressed. Have as much serviced as to can before you leave. If you do.need to do maintenance on the road try to.plan a stop somewhere you have a friend with a garage and tools, ship the appropriate stuff need to them. One of my trips with my son we needed an oil change in the middle of the trip and visited some relatives for a couple of days and used their garage. Choose a routebtou think would be interesting and then look for things to stop and look at; weird museums, national parks, historical stuff, whatever you guys are into. Try to break up.the day so.tou aren't in the saddle all.day every day. Our usual routine is have breakfast,  get gas, drive an hour and a half to two hours and hopefully have somewhere fun to see and if not just take a rest, have a snack gas up and go again with usually a destination for after lunch.  We also try to end the day by 3-5 PM, doesn't always work. If traveling near big cities go past the city to spend the night so you don't have to deal with AM rush hour traffic.  Bring good, really good rain gear and hope you don't need it. Have a blast!

lotusseven7
lotusseven7 Reader
7/12/19 7:13 a.m.

As a former BMW motorcycle dealer and a BMW Master Tech, my vote is for a K1200LT. Also a small motorcycle trailer will make life much easier. We sold Uni-Go trailers and they were cool. There are also some small trailers that open up into tents, rather large tents which could be worth looking into.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
7/12/19 9:03 a.m.

bike with trailer

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 SuperDork
7/24/19 9:17 p.m.

Some updates.

1) no trailers haha

We borrowed a friends 2000 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Nomad and that was not bad.  A topcase/backrest for my wife would have prevented a SORE back. Not too bad comfort wise for her. so-so. For me, a different windshield would have been appreciated and some minor tweaks. Nothing huge.  So a possibility but the feet forward cruiser would take some adjusting.  I kept glancing at the floorboards in turns to make sure they wouldnt catch/scrape.

Tonight we test rode another friends 2005 Goldwing 1800.  Big bike but the second the clutch engages the weight disappears somewhere and the torque takes over.  A very, shockingly, easy to ride bike that was kinda easy to throw around a bit and get sporty on.  My wife loved the seat...said it was like a lazy boy going down the road.  The bike thing was leg angles for her as a knee injury sometimes bugs her leg.  The Vulcan would require a few extra breaks/ stretches.

BMWs dried up or sketched me out a bit and I am not ready to try that out. Not on this trip.

Last bike to try would be a V-Strom 650 (or 1000 as its the same frame). ADVRider spoke highly of them, even in terms or 2 up comfort.

Things are looking up.

wae
wae SuperDork
8/11/19 6:36 a.m.

John Welsh pointed me this way so in a fit of shameless self-promotion, I do have an '87 Goldwing that needs a new home: https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/cars-sale/1987-honda-goldwing-gl1200-interstate-mine-very-affiliated/157469/page1/

It'd need fresh oil, new tires, and the head bearing replaced before a cross-country adventure but arrangements could be made.

Curtis
Curtis UltimaDork
8/11/19 8:18 a.m.

I have a 99 Vulcan Nomad.  I paid $3500 about 8 years ago.  Stoopid reliable.  It has a factory saddle, which seems to be great for my lady, but the driver's seat is pretty pathetic.  My ass wears out before hers does.  I added the tour trunk/backrest and the full fairing, and it is truly a fantastic touring bike.  I will likely upgrade the seat, but I have zero complaints.  She and I have done several 2-3 day trips totalling about 500 miles each.  I took it on a 2-month trip from PA to TX, New Orleans, Atlanta, panhandle, up the coastline to DelMarVa, and then back home.  I had one complete side bag empty.  Just some toiletries and a couple changes of clothes.

Just be super pragmatic and keep communicating.  This won't work if she (or you) thinks "this is his big birthday trip, I'll keep suffering through it."  One or both of you will end up miserable.  Never start a motorcycle trip with a goal.  Start a motorcycle trip because IT IS the goal. You might make it 200 miles or 3000.  There is zero shame in turning around and getting the family truckster to continue the trip.

What I usually do when I block out time for a bike trip, I take the time I have and establish a "point of no return" about 2/3 of the time through the trip.  I mosey in a direction, stop to see corny attractions, rest when I need, eat when I want, ride when I want.  At that point of no return, I start back home.  I may have gone 100 miles or 1000, but the point was that I rode, and I did exactly what my body, mind, and heart told me to.  No distance goals.  The goal is getting on the bike with your pillion and having some QT.

The short version:  Until you get some trips under your butt with both of you, keep this suggestion in mind:  If you have a time limit, don't have a distance goal.  If you have a distance goal, don't have a time limit.  Just go.  If she says, "hey let's stop at this Bass Pro Shops," you stop.  If you see a neat BBQ joint and want to sample their brisket, do it.  Make the TRIP the goal, not a distance.

Edit:  

Oh, one other tip.  Get yourself some riding underwear.  Game changer.  It's like a bra for your nutsack.  Lift and separate.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
8/11/19 8:39 a.m.

Going on a tour?  A touring bike would be best.

We did 8500 miles back in the summer of '87.  6 weeks on the road.  Left on my (TOURING) bike, bought Dr.Linda a Sportster in Canada, which she rode home to Texas. We would camp some days, motel others. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
e8GerUrHVbcQKF87w3kRbwkLPxnVPq6yhXrRM8ZYnwqgXVox4Fr02E84xWFx7fyJ