1 2 3
Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
2/6/20 9:32 a.m.
dropstep said:

I need 3 windows replaced and this kind of stuff shows up on just about every company's reviews. This makes me nervous 

I would find your local commercial glass company and go see them in person. I'm kicking myself for not doing this.

Antihero
Antihero SuperDork
2/6/20 6:58 p.m.
Purple Frog said:

I admit I'm probably lucky in that most of my clients come by word-of-mouth, and may be of a certain financial demographic.  I find that the poor struggle to pay their bills, and the super rich can be a royal PIA to get paid.   

Sometimes I happily do charity work for the poor.   If i feel like i'll need a lawyer to get paid by the rich. I just turn down the job, an ability I have because there is too much work.

I agree on the 2 extremes too. People always seem shocked that I will turn down a job but a bad job kills more than just a little time and money

I haven't advertised in 5 years and I'm still a bit over booked for this year, construction is booming here.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
2/7/20 8:30 a.m.
Javelin said:
dropstep said:

I need 3 windows replaced and this kind of stuff shows up on just about every company's reviews. This makes me nervous 

I would find your local commercial glass company and go see them in person. I'm kicking myself for not doing this.

Commercial glass companies rarely do residential windows. 

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
2/7/20 8:45 a.m.

My mom had a bad time with window replacement awhile back.  Went with local contractor, he came out and measured and ordered the windows with us paying the company directly for the windows.  Windows arrive and he had measured wrong, so we were stuck with many thousands of dollars worth of wrong sized windows. Contractor ghosted, leaving us with a garage full of windows.

Wound up in court, found out guy wasnt licensed, didnt want to make it right, I think we wound up with the judgment that he had to buy the windows off of us and we wound up with a lean on his house until he made good. 

Moral: even if you have word of mouth, MAKE SURE THE LICENSE AND PAPERWORK IS STRAIGHT.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
eqdRlleSbdSm8Ir2JTrhVZBUiBTfuL3v37m6iLcQieePlVvMEQvoxhl3UHb1sT0t