1 2 3
slowbird
slowbird Reader
7/19/19 6:53 a.m.

In reply to RevRico :

Northeast of the Burgh, just off Route 28.

Several years ago, the GE root beer was so fizzy I could hardly pour it, it would just be a whole glass of foam. Which I didn't mind, honestly. It's not quite as foamy nowadays.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
7/19/19 7:40 a.m.

I like root beer and enjoy all mentioned here.  The root beer store in Lynwood wa is cool 

one more not not mentioned here is Maine Root.  I enjoy the ginger beer and root beer. 

https://www.maineroot.com/

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
7/19/19 8:58 a.m.

If I am in a mood to poison myself with carbonated sugar water, the carbonated sugar water I choose most often is root beer. 

So, yes.  Count me as a fan, but certainly not a connoisseur.  My most frequently consumed is Barq's.  I've had Virgil's, but frankly not worth the price.

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane SuperDork
7/19/19 9:06 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Thanks for all of that!  I had passing knowledge of some of it, but it was cool to see the ratios like that video.

Also, I didn't know that sassafrass was outlawed.. 

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
7/19/19 9:14 a.m.

I worked in the CSD biz for 13 years.  Sam's Choice root beer is surprisingly good.  I always get root beer if I am getting a "soda."  I also avoid anything with HFCS in it, thus virtually never get a "soda." 

I have several sassafras trees on my property.  They have 3 different shaped leafs.

slowbird
slowbird Reader
7/19/19 9:49 a.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

something something memes...

"I don't always poison myself with carbonated sugar water, but when I do..."

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/19/19 9:59 a.m.
John Welsh said:
slowbird said:

The #1 complaint I have is that root beer seems to be oddly susceptible to getting totally mixed wrong at restaurants...or they just sell more of it so it runs out of the syrup faster. But I've had more than my share of "root beer" that was just nasty seltzer water and not realized it until I left the drive-thru.

A very true complaint.  For root beer these reasons are two-fold.   Cheap (money saving) and Foaming since root beer foams more than other soft drinks.  

This video sample explains the mix ratio know as the Brix.  Sugar drinks should be 5 parts water to 1 part syrup.  Diet drinks should be 6 parts water to 1 part syrup. It is easy to water down drinks to use less expensive syrup.  

Many people say that Coke from a McD's tastes best.  This largely has to do with a correct brix.  

Furthermore, root beer has a foaming agent to give it a head.  Interestingly, this foam is now artificial since the use of real sassafras was outlawed in the '60's.  However, given the foaming slows down the ability to pour the drinks quickly, if you water down (adjust the brix) of root beer you then reduce the foam (at the expense of the drink flavor quality.) 

PS: I worked for Coca-Cola for 9 years (age of 20 - 29) and I used to have a bix testing cup.  

When I worked at QT, we "brixed" the soda machines one a week. 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
7/19/19 10:05 a.m.

I had some Stubborn Creme Soda yesterday from a Jersey Mike's and it was good. They also have Stubborn root beer that now I want to try.

I used to like Henry Weinhards a lot when I lived in ID and WA and could actually find it. I brought some home from MN in a checked bag a couple times, but it doesn't seem to exist here in NC.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku UltimaDork
7/19/19 11:09 a.m.

IBC root beer is my favorite. Pricey though.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke SuperDork
7/19/19 11:18 a.m.
mtn said:

Sprechers is the best, IMHO. 

Came here to say this.

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
7/19/19 1:08 p.m.

Nothing like a root beer float.

My father made root beer and bottled it when I was a kid.

I like Barqs.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
7/19/19 1:36 p.m.

Well, I'm headed up to Wisconsin/UP this weekend. I think that my wife and I are going to stop at Culvers for a root beer float on the way. 

Culvers also has very good root beer. 

RevRico
RevRico PowerDork
7/19/19 1:45 p.m.
CJ said:
jfryjfry said:

I was in Wisconsin shooting public enemy near little Bohemia and had the best root beer of my life - 1919.  From the tap in a bowling alley in the middle of nowhere.  

Also of note: there is or was a root beer store near Everett, Washington.   Everything root beer.  

Google says it was called The Root Beer Store.  It has morphed into Chugs Root Beer in Lynnwood, WA and The Root Beer Store online -

I was excited to see that until I saw shipping. $18 shipping for a $12 6 pack. Ouch. $82 for the $120 60 pack.I

Not nearly as pricey but still kinda expensive, Sprechers is available on Amazon. Gonna have to try that out with my next vinyl order

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
7/19/19 2:32 p.m.

A friend of mine made his own a while back, but it was hopped, as in he added hops. Based on an internet recipe he found. It was weird. Not bad exactly, but...I'm not sure was good either.

barefootskater
barefootskater Dork
7/19/19 3:15 p.m.

I'm a big fan of IBC. Not sure if its a local thing but walmart sells it here. Had one called "rat-bastard" once, and found it pleasing, from a small local sandwich place that goes through different brands a lot. Barqs in a pinch. When my local A&W stopped providing theirs on tap I didn't go back for about 5 years.

But mostly IBC.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
7/19/19 6:17 p.m.

I was inspired by this thread this afternoon...I stopped at a gas station on the way home from work and bought a bottle of A&W root beer.  The bottle was plastic and not glass so not as good as it could have been, but still pretty good.  smiley

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones New Reader
7/19/19 6:18 p.m.

A lot of microbrews will have homemade root beer on tap too. 

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UltraDork
7/19/19 8:08 p.m.

It's probably nostalgia more than anything, I haven't even seen the stuff in years, let alone drank it, but Iron Horse was always my favorite.

Local-ish pizza place, Shotgun Dan's had a ~5' long double barrel 10 Ga. on the wall, and Iron Horse root beer on tap.

I can remember thinking I was big E36 M3, ordering a frosty mug of Iron Horse when I was maybe 12.

Bubbal
Bubbal New Reader
7/19/19 8:29 p.m.

Hires was my favorite as a kid.

i remember getting 1 gallon glass jugs to go at A&W.

Wally
Wally MegaDork
7/19/19 8:49 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

I don’t know if they still do but when I was a kid the local Coke bottler had their own techs to go around and maintain fountains to make sure the mixes were right, lines clean etc.  

We used to sell Dads on our 7up truck in cans until they left the NY area. They were briefly replaced by A&W then Barq’s.  Barq’s is my favorite of the major brand root beers but I really prefer a good cream soda like Dr Browns.  

TJL
TJL Reader
7/19/19 9:03 p.m.

I now really want some root beer barrels!  

failboat
failboat UberDork
7/20/19 6:20 a.m.

I prefer A&W for a widely available root beer. Sprechers is great, and they have a lot of other kick ass sodas. 

My cousin had their wedding rehearsal dinner at the Sprecher brewery, open bar (they brew beer as well) and a private brewery tour. 

The root beer outsells everything else they make combined.

I'm in va and occasionally find sprecher sodas at non chain sandwich shops, and I know the sheetz at rt17 and rt29 often has them.

Old_Town
Old_Town New Reader
7/20/19 6:41 a.m.

Check out some of the beer breweries as well... I know Victory brewing in my town has a great root beer in bottles and tap (fill your growler). I think Appalachian brewing in H-burg has something similar. There may be others in the black and yellow side of the state... 

captdownshift
captdownshift PowerDork
7/20/19 7:56 a.m.

Sprechler's

Old Dominion

Saranac

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
7/20/19 9:36 a.m.

I like this stuff soo much, reading this thread made me go buy a bottle, and his friend behind him in the cooler. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
iykTQOhbcQgG2RmvDy7CIIPCoeOZMe54LIu0RcJYf7tCKkBSGhxkkhJjeXKDRmaX