1 2 3
stroker
stroker UltraDork
7/21/19 8:49 a.m.

A&W.  Wish we had one here.

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
7/21/19 9:19 a.m.

I forgot how much I used to like root beer until my employer moved to a new neighborhood in May.

The deli up the street has birch beer.  The Ace Hardware up the other way has sasparilla in a cooler right by the door.

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
7/21/19 9:22 a.m.
eastsideTim said:

Weber’s is the best root beer I’ve had that wasn’t homemade. 

Sounds like as good a reason as any that the rallycross national championship should be held in Tulsa again!

vwcorvette
vwcorvette UltraDork
7/21/19 9:41 a.m.

If you're ever in Vermont this is only sold thru tap and in large cans at farmer's markets. They have about 80 restaurants selling the stuff. Less carbonation makes for a smooth drink. One of the bests. If I can't find it I settle for A&W. Barqs has caffeine so I'm out. Don't like the flaver either.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
7/21/19 9:42 a.m.

The A&W root beer sold canned in grocery stores is not the same as that sold at the restaurants.  The Sam's Choice Root Beer is the closest I've found to the A&W restaurant (fountain) root beer.  I mentioned that to the VP when I was being interviewed there and he told me that the A&W fountain root beer was their target flavor when they developed it.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/21/19 10:01 a.m.
Knurled. said:
eastsideTim said:

Weber’s is the best root beer I’ve had that wasn’t homemade. 

Sounds like as good a reason as any that the rallycross national championship should be held in Tulsa again!

They make a damn fine burger as well!

I would also suggest going just a few blocks down and getting a burger from Claud's as well.

RevRico
RevRico PowerDork
8/30/19 7:03 p.m.

So I'm bringing this back up. In the past few weeks I've had a few more samples.

My new personal favorite is WBC Chicago style root beer. Found it at Ollies of all places, from Redding California. 

I tracked down Kutztown at a store 2 hours away and I'm looking for more locally. It was flavorful without being over powering.

Tried Brownies caramel cream root beer, way too sweet for me, but a smooth flavor. 

And I got the giant eagle house brand, wasn't a big fan, but it was better poured into a mug than from the can. 

This week is obviously the floors, next weekend taking Dana to WV for her birthday to get away, but I'm going to get the Mr. Rootbeer kit made soon, I promise. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
8/30/19 7:55 p.m.

Supposedly Shasta is a total sleeper root beer. 

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
8/30/19 8:16 p.m.
Mndsm said:

Supposedly Shasta is a total sleeper root beer. 

paranoid_android
paranoid_android UberDork
8/30/19 9:05 p.m.

The single best root beer I’ve ever had is from Grays in Janesville WI.  I’m not sure if you can get it anywhere else but there though.

Otherwise Bonnie Doon in Mishawaka IN had really good root beer, but I don’t know what kind it was.

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
8/31/19 2:39 p.m.

Anybody like Moxie ?    When I was younger I like all of the drinks mentioned here.  

Now, due to high blood sugar I have to limit soft drinks.

Ridge Racer
Ridge Racer New Reader
8/31/19 9:22 p.m.

A&W used to also make a pretty decent hamburger, as far as fast food burgers go.  Not sure if they still do.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
9/1/19 4:52 p.m.

I finally got to try a Sioux City Sarsaparilla, damn fine.

If you ever travel Route 66 through Oklahoma, stop at Pops, we didn't try the food because of the wait time, but they more than 700 varieties of pop.

http://www.pops66.com/

mtn
mtn MegaDork
9/1/19 6:56 p.m.

Something else that I thought of that is really, really good is the Butterbeer at Harry Potter World in Universal studios. I'd have to believe it is something you can only get at the parks. 

It isn't rootbeer, closer to cream soda with butterscotch. It sounds like it would be sickly sweet disgusting. Well, it isn't. It is delicious. 

Apis Mellifera
Apis Mellifera HalfDork
9/2/19 7:39 a.m.

Here's how to make your own:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdZ4C4gAYto

Check out his other videos for some interesting stuff.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
2/22/22 10:58 p.m.

Pretty sure that the last time I had root beer was when this thread was new. Tonight I was at Costco and they had cases of 16oz Sprechers, in glass cans. I couldn't help myself. I got home and had one warm, and let me tell you, it was delicious. 

If I ever have a (for lack of a better term, though I hate it) man cave, I think I'll have root beer on tap. 

Another thought, since I've been drinking a lot of Murphy's and Guinness lately: has anyone ever done a nitro root beer?

RevRico
RevRico UltimaDork
2/22/22 11:13 p.m.

Oh, I'm glad this thread got revived.

When we were in Amish country I got into some locally made Amish rootbeer. 

I had maybe 4 or 5 different versions during our stay and only really liked one. Some from stores, some from farms. All yeast carbonated, which was a change for me. It gives it a different finish that isn't always good. Wish I'd have kept s better record. 

But if you ever eat at Dienners, stop into the store next door with the windmill on top for a gallon. Plain glass gallon jug, plain label hanging out under the counter.  Definitely chill before drinking. 

the_machina
the_machina Reader
2/23/22 11:48 a.m.

Has nobody mentioned Abita root beer? It's fantastic!

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
2/23/22 12:15 p.m.
the_machina said:

Has nobody mentioned Abita root beer? It's fantastic!

I know this is a zombie thread but for real, my favorite (other then one one of our local breweries makes).

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UltraDork
2/23/22 1:18 p.m.

I have an A&W root beer as a treat  a couple times a week , 

it's a nice change from the Pepsi Zero that I drink too much of......

Honsch
Honsch Reader
2/24/22 3:44 a.m.

I quite like the Hires hard root beer.

Recon1342
Recon1342 Dork
2/25/22 9:27 p.m.

Bucksnort Root Beer.

It's a local craft root beer. Almost has a peppery taste. You could probably get it online.

https://amp.idahostatesman.com/latest-news/article217803910.html

racerfink
racerfink UltraDork
2/26/22 1:57 p.m.

I tried some Virgil's the other day.  For a 'no sugar, gluten free beer', it's not bad.  It lacks that carbonated bite of mainstream brands, but it's nice and smooth, and has enough flavor for me.  Just can't do those 'sugar grenades' (80% DV of sugar in one 12oz can) anymore.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qHTdS5w5Zkmx9Vt2CPMZJ8NUJtKUGNfd2IXNGdsTQUZEjQqfsZyWFzI4I6s4jPAj