1 2
Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
3/4/13 10:04 a.m.

Why wouldn't a nursing home have an emergency defibrillator? They're in schools and malls, for christ's sake. I'm rooting for this place to be turned into a smoking hole in the ground due to being more worried about potential lawsuits than actually caring for the people they are devoting their lives to care for.

bastomatic
bastomatic SuperDork
3/6/13 9:47 a.m.

So basically a DNR.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltraDork
3/6/13 10:34 a.m.

It appears this was a senior living center and not really a nursing home.

Whether she had a DNR or not, 911 would have likely done it anyway when they got there. I learned that the hard way. My mother was a residient at a nurdsing home and had a DNR. But they revived her three different times. The last time, 911 used the paddles and got a heart beat. But she was gone. We had to go through a rather unpleasant experience getting her taken off life support.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess UltimaDork
3/6/13 10:48 a.m.

Yeah, DNR is a rather fuzzy concept. Someone is "found down" and CPR gets started. No one looks through his wallet until way later. I don't want resuscitation. No code, no PEG, no tracheostomy. My wife knows the difference between a Dophoff tube and a PEG.

Once in Sturgis, I saw a guy walking down the street with no shirt on and "DNR" tattooed on his chest over his left breast in large letters. I told him I thought that was a really cool tattoo, but to be legal, he needed to sign and date it and have a witness sign it and it should probably be written out as well. I would THINK that if a physician saw that, as well as "Do Not Resuscitate" written in smaller letters below the large attention getting "DNR," the physician would not start CPR at that point. As for paramedics, well, who knows on that one. It's a 6 week class. Some are very competent. Some are not.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UberDork
3/6/13 10:58 a.m.
Datsun1500 wrote: And the statement from the family
Bayless' family sent The Associated Press a statement saying she was aware that Glenwood Gardens did not offer trained medical staff, but opted to live there anyway. "It was our beloved mother and grandmother's wish to die naturally and without any kind of life prolonging intervention," the family said. "We understand that the 911 tape of this event has caused concern, but our family knows that mom had full knowledge of the limitations of Glenwood Gardens and is at peace." The family said it would not sue or try to profit from the death, and called it "a lesson we can all learn from." "We regret that this private and most personal time has been escalated by the media,"

But that brings it back to, then why make the phone call and not make mention there is a DNR in place and just bring a crew out to transport the body to the hospital morgue after being pronounced dead in the ER? Plus, what is the definition of "prolonged invertention"? It is clear as mud needing explanation.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH UltimaDork
3/6/13 12:17 p.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: I would THINK that if a physician saw that, as well as "Do Not Resuscitate" written in smaller letters below the large attention getting "DNR," the physician would not start CPR at that point. As for paramedics, well, who knows on that one. It's a 6 week class. Some are very competent. Some are not.

Yeah he could have at least spelled it out. The doctor could easily think "DNR? Could be some rap group, better safe than sorry."

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
3/6/13 1:46 p.m.
Datsun1500 wrote: And the statement from the family
Bayless' family sent The Associated Press a statement saying she was aware that Glenwood Gardens did not offer trained medical staff, but opted to live there anyway. "It was our beloved mother and grandmother's wish to die naturally and without any kind of life prolonging intervention," the family said. "We understand that the 911 tape of this event has caused concern, but our family knows that mom had full knowledge of the limitations of Glenwood Gardens and is at peace." The family said it would not sue or try to profit from the death, and called it "a lesson we can all learn from." "We regret that this private and most personal time has been escalated by the media,"

It's like people didn't even read what was posted in the OP. The people who go to that home go their with a DNR agreement.

THere are a few homes like that in Tulsa, after the local news did a story on it.

I guess we need something to be outraged at?

Schmidlap
Schmidlap HalfDork
3/6/13 3:24 p.m.
Wally wrote: the dispatcher said. "This woman is not breathing enough. She is going to die if we don't get this started." After several minutes, an ambulance arrived and took Bayless to Mercy Southwest Hospital, where she died.

This is the part that confuses me about this whole story. If the woman was breathing at all, why was the dispatcher asking for CPR? You do CPR on someone who is not breathing and has no pulse. If the woman died in the hospital later, was she still breathing on her own at the nursing home or did the EMTs get her heart and breathing going again, only for her to die again at the hospital? Granted, not breathing at all is still not breathing enough.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess UltimaDork
3/6/13 3:58 p.m.

Someone not breathing but with a pulse gets rescue breathing, not chest compressions. No pulse, chest compressions too. The "new" compression only CPR has no breathing involved. "not breathing enough" means what, exactly, and how is someone on the phone going to diagnose that?

Frequently, someone starts CPR, they get brought to the ER where they are declared dead some time later. They were technically dead when they were found, or CPR would not have been started. This happens a lot with car wrecks, especially on busy interstates in Texas. If there's a dead guy, the freeway is shut down until the Coroner gets there to investigate. If someone jumps on the dead guy's chest and starts CPR, the dead guy is brought to the hospital and the freeway opens back up right away. And another life flight comes in.

This whole incident has played out in the media as something that appears much bigger than it was. You can't get a straight story on anything in the media. Well, maybe in Teh Mag here, you can get an accurate story, but outside of that, you are most likely just reading total BS. What really happened? Hard to say. There appears to have been an RN involved, yet, we hear there were no trained medical personnel at the facility. The 911 dispatcher may have over reacted, the employee may have under reacted. The recording and alleged story went viral.

fromeast2west
fromeast2west Reader
3/6/13 4:34 p.m.

The living center has to look at more than just outcome of individual incidents when it makes policy too.

If they perform CPR for two people who then survive, and a third person doesn't get CPR, or gets CPR and dies; the family could point to the past pattern of care and say that they had an expectation of similar care.

The same thing for defibrillators and similar equipment. If they have it on hand do the residents also have a right to assume that staff will be trained in it's use.

In normal situations expectations and liability are probably easy to take into account compared to where the line lies when providing housing and care for the elderly.

RX Reven'
RX Reven' HalfDork
3/6/13 6:21 p.m.

Hi Wally,

Come on man, we’re talking about Bakersfield…no expectation of opulence is implied.

I drive through there several times a year and always chuckle when I pass the little housing development that someone presumptuously named Bella Vista “Beautiful View”.

I know, I know, I’m a jerk…that was probably someone’s mother.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pgIQel2wJ3BmhxYuUOcniZr4JiLspQe8AZZtZcD31mrXNLNZ8BNShjShlW8GTSLR