1 2 3
pilotbraden
pilotbraden UltraDork
4/19/20 1:48 p.m.

The fcaw, flux core torch. This torch and hose can't use gas. I have a Separate  torch and hose for that. I am using flux core today for two reasons it is windy and the metal that I am repairing is extremely dirty and Rusty. Flux core can be used and winds up to 30 miles per hour according to Lincoln Electric

Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
4/19/20 4:12 p.m.

In no particular order:

yes, take a class if you can find one. You will get lots of practice, usually on nice equipment (which will spoil you).

My helmet is from weldcote metals. Its a 4 sensor from amazon,  around $100. Worth it.

Lincoln welders from big box stores vs right from Lincoln are totally different. The "pro" series is the cheap stuff, look for a "power". Hobart and Miller probably have similar programs.

If you are an SCCA member, you can get off lease units from Lincoln for 1/2 price. These are sent out to pro race shops and used for 6-12 months. Bought mine last summer and it arrived looking like brand new.

Be sure to figure gas into your cost. You will have to buy a bottle and fill it. Local gas/welding supply is better deal than the cylinder exchange at the hardware store. Shop around like anything else.

Spend the money up front if you can on a bigger welder. Its better to have headroom to grow into vs not enough machine and needing to upgrade. There are dual voltage units (110/220) out there that could be an option for you.

edwardh80
edwardh80 Reader
4/19/20 7:50 p.m.

A comment I heard once that's stuck with me: rarely do you meet an old gentleman who had a career as a welder. The logic behind that statement was that they all die at a below average age due to inhalation of welding fumes. Not sure how much truth there is to it, but it made me think, and I recommend using a fan to blow the fumes away or use some sort of exhaust/dust extraction system.

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
4/19/20 8:22 p.m.

I'm going to go against the grain here and suggest that you NOT start with a wire feed welder. 

Go buy a used Miller or Lincoln stick welder for about $50 on Craigslist.

Get some scrap hot rolled structural bits from the local metal recycler and start sticking them together.

A stick welder will teach you to control the puddle, feed rate and heat a lot better than a MIG welder. Once you buy a decent MIG or TIG setup, you'll have your control technique down pat.

Gas welding will teach you this as well.

Mig is a hot metal glue gun. It's easy to stick stuff together poorly with it but you still need good skills to do a good job.

Heck, even Mikey on Orange County Choppers could MIG weld.

RevRico
RevRico PowerDork
4/19/20 8:27 p.m.

In reply to ShawnG :

Do you have any tips on learning how to stick weld?

I've gotten...competent, if I have some practice metal to dial in on, with flux and mig, but I've never done more than turn sticks into sparklers with my stick welder. 

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
4/19/20 8:54 p.m.

Most metal on a car is too thin to stick weld. 

yupididit
yupididit UberDork
4/19/20 10:13 p.m.
edwardh80 said:

A comment I heard once that's stuck with me: rarely do you meet an old gentleman who had a career as a welder. The logic behind that statement was that they all die at a below average age due to inhalation of welding fumes. Not sure how much truth there is to it, but it made me think, and I recommend using a fan to blow the fumes away or use some sort of exhaust/dust extraction system.

My grandfather welded ships for decades at the Newport News Shipyard. He's in his late 80's and super healthy. So, I don't know about that one. Maybe they quit before they got too old lol

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
4/19/20 10:51 p.m.

Only tips I can give you for stick would be that you need to learn to feed the electrode at the proper rate to keep the puddle going.

If you're striking an arc and the flux is falling off the rod in chunks, your rod may be too old or have gotten damp.

Greg Smith (Forum Supporter)
Greg Smith (Forum Supporter) Dork
4/19/20 10:55 p.m.
ProDarwin said:
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) said:

I can't recommend such a mickey mouse tool, but the $100 Harbor Freight flux core welder is worth every penny, and the kind of thing you can find used.

I have one of these.  Would I weld precision stuff with it, or a cage?  No.  Non-safety structural items?  Probably.  Exhaust & general repairs.  Yes.

Flux core is messy but works pretty well and you don't have to deal with gas.  FWIW, I think the next level up ~$180 welder is supposed to be *significantly* better than this one.  If I were buying one, I'd go that route, but a friend passed this one onto me for something silly like $20

If you want one, I'm selling mine. Make offer. I've run about half a spool of .030 through it. Barely used. 

I upgraded to the green "titanium" flux-core welder and seem to be doing much better with that. It has variable heat (instead of low / high) and runs off a DC inverter so it's supposed to be cleaner too. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lzz7MsqKAE7iSfLDrZ3v3FTiB8hxISKAk29buPwIgwOsOrITUIgrz3oF1Mds742x