1 2
Keith
Keith SuperDork
3/3/10 9:08 a.m.

Most of our mail isn't junk mail, it's catalogs for my wife. She'll buy one bra from Victoria's Secret and get a catalog every two days for the next six months. It's astounding.

A lot of the pre-approved crap runs very close to phishing scams. It's amazing how much effort they'll put into trying to look legit.

skruffy
skruffy Dork
3/3/10 10:23 a.m.

Thanks for the optout link. It only took me a half dozen tries to get the catchpa right...

SupraWes
SupraWes Dork
3/3/10 6:13 p.m.

Maybe I'm just weird but there's a bit of a thrill in checking the mail. I get sad when I realize its a Sunday, or holiday. I order a lot of used books music and movies online for pennies, so there is often a nice surprise there.

Today's haul was

ATT bill - iphone, dsl, and home phone, that one hurts. Some consumer survey, junk Netflix Movie Harbor Freight store flyer

wbjones
wbjones HalfDork
3/3/10 8:23 p.m.
Keith wrote: Most of our mail isn't junk mail, it's catalogs for my wife. She'll buy one bra from Victoria's Secret and get a catalog every two days for the next six months. It's astounding. A lot of the pre-approved crap runs very close to phishing scams. It's amazing how much effort they'll put into trying to look legit.

one possible way out is to refuse to give any info at the time of purchase... I've had sales clerks call the manager when I refused to reveal my address or phone #... if they're not mailing, or calling to let me know when an order is ready they have no reason to know that info...

Keith
Keith SuperDork
3/3/10 8:56 p.m.

That doesn't work with mail order, unfortunately! Nobody gets my address when I'm in the store.

mistanfo
mistanfo Dork
3/3/10 9:03 p.m.

to be honest, if you give your credit card, there is a decent chance that they can access your address.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro HalfDork
3/3/10 11:34 p.m.
wbjones wrote: one possible way out is to refuse to give any info at the time of purchase... I've had sales clerks call the manager when I refused to reveal my address or phone #... if they're not mailing, or calling to let me know when an order is ready they have no reason to know that info...

I just give fake info.

Tommy Tutone and Herb Adams get a lot of my junkmail.

Shawn

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
r8bZXc25DmmpWxZYZ3zypqUd6rVavGTyXlLFOON8XyXNtOflWiQGcUg7NzGxvAXG