1 2 3
Robbie
Robbie PowerDork
8/21/18 10:06 a.m.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2018/08/americas-invisible-pot-addicts/567886/?utm_medium=offsite&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=newsstand-health

Just read this article, and found it very interesting that as many as 40% of weed users self-report to use every day, and 10% self-report to struggle with the drug and its use (ex: I have trouble quitting, it negatively affects my relationships, or my health, or my work).

While I'm no prohibitionist, I have also always been very skeptical of the idea that THC is nearly harmless or even healthy.

So again, if someone tells you they are struggling with a pot problem, don't automatically take the side of the drug marketers.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
8/21/18 10:21 a.m.

(not a pot user)

- Search for the negative effects of alcohol

- Search for the way alcohol and pot are treated federally

- Search for the effects of poor diets / eating habits

Almost nothing is entirely harmless.  You can abuse almost anything.  In perspective, pot is very much nowhere near the biggest health issue around.

BTW 10% struggle with use?  That sounds very good to me considering the other things people struggle with using / doing.  I have know many pot users, including a few VERY habitual users (many times a day at least).  I don't find it appealing in anyway, but preferable to almost any other vice out there.  FAR preferable to alcoholics (who where among the same group)

RevRico
RevRico UberDork
8/21/18 10:25 a.m.

In my experience, the people who "struggle with marijuana addiction" are the same people who can't be left alone with dry erase markers. 

I'm surprised the article isn't sponsored by Zoloft. 

carguy123
carguy123 UltimaDork
8/21/18 10:45 a.m.

This post has received too many downvotes to be displayed.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
8/21/18 10:50 a.m.
carguy123 said:

I have seen first hand the effects of prolonged pot usage, it is worse than alcoholism. 

Anecdotal evidence, and it doesn't mean anything. 

Here is my anecdote: I've seen my uncle switch from alcoholism to prolonged pot usage. He went from almost dying to building and running a successful company before selling it, and now semi-retired with a vacation home and starting another business on the side. That sure is a lot worse than being dead from liver failure 30 years ago. 

More of my anecdotes: Every person I've seen struggle with marijuana has struggled because of the stigma, getting a job (but not maintaining one), and legal issues. Every person I know who has struggled with alcoholism has struggled with physical health, holding a job (but not getting one), and maintaining a family life.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
8/21/18 10:52 a.m.

I've met people who would become addicted to milk if they drank a glass each night before bed.  Missing the milk one night?----- don't feel right, can't sleep.  Are they addicted to milk?  I guess so.

Some folks are much more prone to addiction than others.  Some drugs are much more addictive than others.  I see THC and "Pot" being sort of like milk on the grand scale--- maybe chocolate milk......

Full disclosure---- I've been taking CBD oil for a few months now. (no THC)  The results have been remarkably positive--- less aches and pains, my chronic shoulder injury feels better--- my joints feel like they've been coated with WD-40.   No side effects to speak of.  My doctor knows about this and has recommended these products.  My parents doctors have recommended CBD products for them as well.  (Mayo Clinic, Jacksonville) 

I'm fully behind allowing folks to use cannabis extracts to help with medical issues.  What folks do recreationally is none of my business.  That said, I can't think of another substance that has been so incorrectly maligned.  The pharmaceutical industry has been able to stifle this competition for years.  Not so much anymore.   

mtn
mtn MegaDork
8/21/18 10:55 a.m.

Here is my take after reading the article: It is an Op-Ed. It seems that everything was cherry-picked for this, and ignores the fact that causation!=correlation. Yes, I think it is a good reminder that anything can be abused (even ibuprofen, even milk, even beets), but lets keep it in check. 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
8/21/18 11:06 a.m.
carguy123 said:

I have seen first hand the effects of prolonged pot usage, it is worse than alcoholism. 

Here is my anecdote:  A roommate with a HUGE pot habit.  Used it many times a day.  Held a full time job an the pot helped him with a nervous / shaking issue.  Other roommate was a HUGE alcoholic (took about a case of beer to get drunk).  He struggled heavily keeping himself working, tried to kill himself a few times, he eventually succeeded. 

Alcoholic couple my wife knows.... has two kids.... not going to be a good story....

mtn
mtn MegaDork
8/21/18 11:15 a.m.
aircooled said:
carguy123 said:

Here is my anecdote:  A roommate with a HUGE pot habit.  Used it many times a day.  Held a full time job an the pot helped him with a nervous / shaking issue.  Other roommate was a HUGE alcoholic (took about a case of beer to get drunk).  He struggled heavily keeping himself working, tried to kill himself a few times, he eventually succeeded. 

It isn't funny, but it always makes me laugh in a dark way. The worst thing that can happen with alcohol, not even alcoholism, is that you die from alcohol poisoning. Worst thing that can happen from alcoholism is that you die from liver failure/liver disease/liver cancer/pancreatic cancer/colon cancer/etc. 

Worst thing that can happen with pot? You get caught. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
8/21/18 11:17 a.m.

FWIW, I don't partake. I have in the past. I would be in line the first day it was legal in Illinois. Literally the only reason I don't partake is that it is illegal and could cost me my job.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
8/21/18 11:23 a.m.

Girls hate kissing a guy who smells like pot. 

Except the meth girls. 

Thats all I got. 

M2Pilot
M2Pilot Dork
8/21/18 11:23 a.m.

In reply to mtn :

Unfortunately, it could still cost you your job. Legal or not, company policy would trump law for this issue.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
8/21/18 11:25 a.m.
M2Pilot said:

In reply to mtn :

Unfortunately, it could still cost you your job. Legal or not, company policy would trump law for this issue.

True, but I'd take my chances. I can get fired for alcoholism too, per policy.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/21/18 11:27 a.m.
mtn said:

FWIW, I don't partake. I have in the past. I would be in line the first day it was legal in Illinois. Literally the only reason I don't partake is that it is illegal and could cost me my job.

Yep. Although where I work currently, they didn't drug test when I got the job and they don't do random tests. So it's really more just "Hey is it still dry" vs walking into a store and just purchasing it. 

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
8/21/18 11:27 a.m.

IBTL

WilD
WilD Dork
8/21/18 11:32 a.m.
carguy123 said:

I'm going to pile on with the others that state that their anecdotal evidence strongly refutes yours.  I have seem multiple cases of alcohol absolutely destroying lives.  I have yet to see marijuana do a fraction of the damage alcohol does despite being illegal.  That said, just about anything can be habit forming.  I have a hard time not eating unhealthy foods that are killing me for example. 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
8/21/18 11:33 a.m.

I've had jobs that were subject to random drug testing since 1989, so it's a no go for me, but I am interested in CBD oil as a way to possibly treat my son's intractable epilepsy.

Stefan
Stefan MegaDork
8/21/18 11:34 a.m.

In reply to mtn :

Keep in mind, it’s still federally disallowed and people in states where it is legal can still lose their jobs due to policies in place that don’t change after the law is changed.

On the Portland and Oregon subreddits there are still people that ask about detoxing for drug tests at work or if certain jobs do drug tests for hiring, etc.

Still a ways to go for people who enjoy it like those that enjoy alcohol, but it’s hard to change the direction of a ship as large as the United States.

Personally, I dislike the smell and my neighbors around have chased me out of my back yard with their smoke.  That said, it’s a personal choice, much like alcohol or any other drug and who am I to tell other adults what their vice of choice should be?

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/21/18 11:45 a.m.
mtn said:
aircooled said:
carguy123 said:

It isn't funny, but it always makes me laugh in a dark way. The worst thing that can happen with alcohol, not even alcoholism, is that you die from alcohol poisoning. Worst thing that can happen from alcoholism is that you die from liver failure/liver disease/liver cancer/pancreatic cancer/colon cancer/etc. 

Worst thing that can happen with pot? You get caught. 

Lung cancer. 

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
8/21/18 11:46 a.m.

I have worked in a custom chemical plant. 

Not a chance I’m gonna use an unregulated inconsistent product that is so easy to put unknown additives in by growers with no accountability at all.

Does anyone actually know what they are toking?

Crazy.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
8/21/18 11:48 a.m.

Pot. 

Nothing polarizes people better and makes them argue louder defending their purely anecdotal and completely  irrelevant examples. 

Nothing to see here. 

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
8/21/18 11:48 a.m.

In reply to T.J. :

From the results I've seen in that situation, I'd ABSOLUTELY get some for him immediately.  Local fruitloop politicians be damned.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
8/21/18 11:53 a.m.
SVreX said:

I have worked in a custom chemical plant. 

Not a chance I’m gonna use an unregulated inconsistent product that is so easy to put unknown additives in by growers with no accountability at all.

Does anyone actually know what they are toking?

Crazy.

This is actually a good argument for legalization.  In CA, where it is now legal, they have initiated a set of standards that the manufactures must abide by and report (such as THC levels).  Similar to food, not sure of the exact specifics.

Downside is all this will make it more expensive and the illegal stuff more appealing, but for those who want to be a bit more sure of what they are buying, it should be a good thing.

In relation to alcohol, the concept is similar to the issues with "bathtub gin" that was created during prohibition (killing people etc.)

BTW - The comparison of the two is easily done without anecdotal examples.  We just posted a few in response to the (mostly irrelevant) example posted.  The point would be that you can come up with plenty of examples both ways, but it's unlikely you would ever conclude that Pot is clearly worse and deserves being a class 1 drug federally.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
8/21/18 11:57 a.m.

I have seen more than a few relatives have big trouble with alcohol.  My father died at 46 due to cirrhosis and I never saw the man drunk once.  He never missed a day having a few snorts either though.  Several aunts and uncles were functioning alcoholics.  I had alcoholic friends in college.  Now that was very sad.  I pretty much quit drinking in 1985 when I was laid off from a great paying job that required a lot of travel.  Bored?  hit the bar.  Meeting up with salesmen?  hit the bar.    

I also have a few relatives and friends that absolutely loved the weed (and a few more things).   Many users I knew could not keep a job because they always wanted to be stoned.   I have never believed pot was not addictive.  Maybe not like heroin, but a lot like ciggies.

That is my anecdote, and with that, I'm out.                   

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
8/21/18 11:57 a.m.

In reply to aircooled :

Right. 

Properly made stuff is always more expensive, and illegal stuff appealing. 

Witness Chinese knock-off auto parts. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SpO9UJmSecguZZwGdWnX9MHFB3bhy94by7vrqJ8qjYgCsiaH8uBzlI8MNhJQGBp9