1 2 3 4
DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue Reader
1/16/22 2:29 p.m.
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) said:

Uh...I thought we were?  laugh

Well - to be entirely frank, no, not really. Not at all, in fact. You were talking about streamlining the claims process, e.g. texting with the customer or offering EFT in place of a paper check. The discussion I'm proposing is how to keep the carrier from chronically undervaluing our claims or cheerfully stonewalling us into disgruntled defeat.

You opened this thread looking for input on a specific problem. We're telling you that there's a much bigger problem that we want to prioritize. Is that a topic you are willing to discuss with us?

This might be a good example of the difference between the steak that customers want- and have paid for - and the sizzle that insurance carriers are offering us. It's far from exclusive to the insurance industry, but it's certainly a primary point of frustration with it. 

B. Yourself
B. Yourself Reader
1/16/22 2:33 p.m.

The ideal claims process from a customer viewpoint:

<crash>

“Hello insurance company. Had a crash, here are pictures, please fix it.”

“Ok.”

Insurance company sends tow truck carrying a rental car. Picks up damaged car, leaves rental car.

<later>

Insurance company sends tow truck delivering fixed car. Picks up rental. All no charge to customer (that is why he pays for insurance, right?).

<optional ending> Insurance company totals car. Insurance company buys or builds an exact replica of the totaled car and delivers it to customer. Company picks up rental car.

Ok. That sounds totally unrealistic, but that is why the customer buys insurance: to replace a loss. There is no question of the cost the customer pays for the insurance, but the benefit is unknown until there is a claim? What is wrong with this picture?

I know you are not in the underwriting side of this, but a big part of the problems with the claims side is the mismatch between what underwriting sold and what claims provides. You can't really divorce the two and fix the issues.

The insurance company has already determined how much each car is worth when they set the price for the policy. Why don’t they simply tell the customer what that amount is? That would make the claims process pretty simple – no more haggling. And it is the low ball offers that seem to get most people upset with insurance companies.

I honestly do not understand the insurance companies position on this. I have asked my insurance company what they would pay and they are unable or unwilling to answer. Why wait until there is a claim to figure it out? Should I wait until there is a claim to determine how much I am willing to pay them?

House insurance is always for a stated amount and houses are much harder to determine a value for than vehicles. Why not use the same process for vehicles?

You can do everything in the world to make it quick, easy, and pleasant for the customer when he makes a claim, but if the customer has to fight the company to get what they feel they deserve they are not going to be happy. Or be a customer in the future.

So the way to improve the claim process is to improve the underwriting process. I hope you reach a position where you have some control over both and can effect a positive change in the industry.

SKJSS (formerly Klayfish)
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) PowerDork
1/16/22 3:46 p.m.
DarkMonohue said:

You opened this thread looking for input on a specific problem. We're telling you that there's a much bigger problem that we want to prioritize. Is that a topic you are willing to discuss with us?

This might be a good example of the difference between the steak that customers want- and have paid for - and the sizzle that insurance carriers are offering us. 

Meh.  I've gone down this road many times in the 10+ years I've been on GRM.  It quickly devolves into "insurance companies screw us on purpose" and the like.  I'm always happy to discuss how it all works, both good and bad.  Nothing to hide, nothing to lie about.  However when it just goes down the path of blind rage and unfounded accusations, I lose interest.  I did come in looking for specific input and got some.  I'm still here to answer any questions I can and have any discussion you want.  

One of the biggest disconnects is the difference between what insurance actually is/is not and what people expect or want it to be.  That's a very deep subject with challenges on both sides...customer and insurance carrier.  Lots of education is needed, and carriers need to do a far better job of providing that education.  A lot of carriers are starting to look at that and simplify policy language.  

B. Yourself, yes in a utopian world the process you describe would be great.  It's not realistic, but the goal is to make it as close to that as possible.  I won't pretend to know every last specific of underwriting, but I do know that it doesn't work as you may think.  They don't know exactly what your car is worth when they set your rates.  They very roughly ballpark it.  The biggest thing impacting your rates are your liability risk factors, not the value of your personal car.  It falls to claims to make the exact determination on the value of the car in the event of a total loss.  That's why you won't get an answer if you ask your carrier how much they'll pay if your car is totaled, they don't know.  What you're proposing is agreed value coverage.  As I've said before, I think it's a great idea and wish it was used more.  

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue Reader
1/16/22 4:22 p.m.
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) said:
DarkMonohue said:

This might be a good example of the difference between the steak that customers want- and have paid for - and the sizzle that insurance carriers are offering us. 

One of the biggest disconnects is the difference between what insurance actually is/is not and what people expect or want it to be.  That's a very deep subject with challenges on both sides...

Maybe we should talk about that.

What I think insurance is is a contract wherein I agree to pay a premium for a certain type of coverage in the event of unplanned loss, and in exchange, the carrier agrees to compensate me for that loss, minus my deductible, in a reasonably timely fashion, by either paying someone to return me to pre-loss condition (collision repair, etc.) or paying me an adequate figure so that I can purchase a vehicle that, on the whole, reasonably replaces what I had.

If the loss is the fault of another driver, I expect the other driver's carrier to accept responsibility and compensate me in the same fashion as my own carrier would, except that the other driver pays the deductible, not me.

I know this is an oversimplification, but are we on the same page so far? If not, where do we differ, and how?

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
1/16/22 4:25 p.m.

In reply to SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) :

I was thinking about this today. You know the main interact I have with my insurance company is paying the bill month after month. I can add and drop cars online within minutes. But on those rare occasions that I do have a claim it'd be nice to feel all those monthly bills gets me something. I'm not saying pay me more than my car is worth but human interaction that tells me yes I was right to pay these people all that money. I think that's what B. Yourself is aludeing to. Make it easy for me. Make me feel like you care without the corporate BS phrasing that call center people have to say but comes across as so disgenuine.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/16/22 4:26 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

Auto insurance is a Kobayashi Maru.   

"Hi, I crashed my three year old car that I paid $50k for new." 

"Here's a check for $20K."

"Boo."

Depreciation is NOT the insurance company's fault.

B. Yourself
B. Yourself Reader
1/16/22 4:31 p.m.

Not to belabor the point (he says as he belabors away), but it would be nice if the customers knew in advance what they were paying for. Can you imagine if life insurance, which really is priced on liability risk factors, did not have a defined payout but instead offered whatever the insurance company thought the life was worth when the customer died?  Ok, I will stop now.

Improvements to claims process:

• Make the process one of listening.  Actually listen and respond when a customer presents their thoughts and desires. Yes you need to verify, but verify and respond. Don't just ignore it.
  • Set tight deadlines for the company response time and stick to them. Yes, there are unforeseen difficulties and challenges, but that is what you get paid for. Right? The customer should never be left hanging wondering what you are doing or when they will hear back.
  • Totaled? Use realistic local comparative values! Can't find any? Look harder! Find out why the customer thinks you are low balling him. What is he comparing it to? Get a network of used car salesmen - they know current prices or how to find them. Can the customer actually purchase the exact same vehicle for what you are offering? If not, why not? Allow reasonable value buy backs of totaled vehicles by customer. Some cars are "special" or have sentimental value to the customer.
  • Use the individual customers preferred method of contact: email, phone, text, mail, etc. They know how best to reach them.
  • Assign a single contact person to the customer. Let the customer know the alternative person for vacations, sick, etc.
  • Stop the couple hundred dollars offers for "future pain and suffering". Sleazy. I hope your company does not do this but some do. If there actually are future side effects, pay them. It is what insurance is supposed to do.
  • Believe, and act like, most customers are just trying to get what they paid for. Most customers are not trying to defraud the company, so don't treat everyone like you think they are.
  • Understand that some claimants have undergone a traumatic experience and you are in a position to help them. So help.
Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
1/16/22 5:05 p.m.

Just come out and say that insurance companies by and large are investment companies that are betting on the invested returns are less than expeditures/claims/ceo salary and bonuses... And that's why you dick us down on every berkeleying penny.

My biggest beef is just because a vehicle has mileage on it means it's "worthless". My ex wife lost her Monte Carlo from a fire years ago. Yes, it had 170k on it, but I'd put it up against ANY sub-100k version at the time. Don't even get me on the whole "why did you drive to another state and burn your vehicle down?" insinuation. The other state was 5 miles away to the east and it caught fire in a hospital parking lot with cameras!

1/16/22 7:12 p.m.

A bit pressed for time tonight, but I'll try to respond to as much as I can.

DarkMonohue, we are on the same page on all points except for one.  You talked about insurance paying someone to return your car to pre-loss condition.  Typically, the insurance company will pay the vehicle owner (usually the policyholder and/or lienholder).  The customer can use the money as they see fit.  Fix the car, go on vacation, etc...  There are some exceptions to that, I'm talking in broad terms.  Otherwise, yep, we're on the same page.

B. Yourself.  Very good points.  I'll try to quickly respond to each.  First, the question about life insurance vs. auto.  I hear what you're saying.  In essence, a life insurance is an "agreed value" policy, so you know what your beneficiary will get if you drive a Mitsubishi Mirage.  Auto policies are based on actual cash value, which varies and has subjectivity.  On to your points...

• Yep, absolutely.  Listen, verify, respond (whether with a yes or a no).  
  • A thousand times yes.  While it's next to impossible to set hard and fast deadlines for everything due to the number of variables in each claim, the customer should NEVER be left hanging wondering what is next and when.  I preach "explaining the claim" over and over and over.  In fact, it's one of the questions we use when we do customer service surveys.  Did we explain the process and be clear when we will follow up.  Human factors play in here, and that's a huge part of my job.
  • That's back to the total loss discussion earlier.  Imperfect and subjective process, that admittedly needs improvement.  Used car salesmen is certainly an interesting concept.  Private party value and dealer value aren't always the same thing, due to dealer profit and overhead built in.  Having said that, when a customer shows me cars at a dealer that are much more comparable to theirs than the report done, I just pay that dealer value.  Lots of subjectivity built in to this process
  • Yep.  That's one of the things I was inquiring about at the outset of this.
  • Yes.  This is actually one of the big things I'm working on for 2022/2023.  Many companies do split claims out, so you talk to several different people.  From a pure processing standpoint, it's more efficient.  State Farm does this big time.  However, IMO, from a customer service standpoint it absolutely sucks.  I personally am not in favor of it, I'd prefer just one person from start to finish.
  • Big ol' can of worms.  Pain and suffering is 100% subjective.  What is someone's pain worth?  Heck, even how much pain someone is in is subjective.  Different people react differently.  Happy to talk about this more, but it's a topic in and of itself that has no easy or perfect answer.
  • I'll clump the last two points together.  Yes, unquestionably.  Having a car accident/incident is not a pleasant experience no matter what.  I want my team to remember that when dealing with customers.  Listen to them, understand them, help them how you can.  Obviously, this doesn't always happen.  Many possible reasons...on both sides of the equation.  In the end, the goal is to make an unpleasant experience for our customer as easy as possible.

Ranger50, insurance companies are for profit financial companies, pretty basic knowledge.  That doesn't at all mean trying to "dick" you down.

dxman92
dxman92 Dork
1/16/22 8:11 p.m.

Long story short, I had a collision a few years ago with an uninsured driver who was at fault (multiple citations issued). Since my vehicle was totaled, I only got rental vehicle for two weeks and that was in stone and no exceptions. Also, I lost my deductable since they couldn't locate and get ahold of the driver. The investigation department basically told me that they couldn't do anymore and you are on your own with taking them to small claims court to get something back.

My rental car should've been for as long as I needed it. Also, I should've gotten my deductable back no questions asked. Let's just say that was the end of my business with State Farm. 

Boost_Crazy
Boost_Crazy Dork
1/17/22 12:43 a.m.

In reply to ddavidv :

There's no use having a discussion when you believe they are all 'actively screwing' you intentionally.  Yes, there's incompetence. Yes, there's too much reliance on a 3rd party valuation system. But the idea of intentional lowballing is pretty much tinfoil hat thinking. 

My life experience, the experiences of most of the people I know, and numerous examples from others above tell me otherwise. If it's innocent incompetence, then I'd expect there would be equal number of people who were overcompensated. Vehicles- especially trucks- can vary greatly in value for the same general model. Many have a 100% difference between the base and top version. That's before you factor in mileage on a used vehicle. I've had cars that were seriously low balled when they were totaled. When I requested to see the comps, I was insulted by what they provided. Not only did they claim lesser trims with smaller engines and 2WD as comps, they included some crazy examples. A truck with more than double the miles of my 60k mile totaled truck is comparable? Because they gave me a "mileage adjustment credit" of $400!?! I've had comps advertised as salvage title, and one was rusty. In California. Where the hell did they find a rusty late model car comp in California? It took me minutes to flood them with more accurate comps.

Assigning a fair accurate value to most vehicles should not be that difficult. I'm not expecting them to know that a car that is one of 250 produced in yellow with leather interior and no sunroof is more valuable, but I don't think the basics are that hard. Get the engine right. Get the drivetrain right. Get the trim level right. You can search for those on most car sale sites. You don't need to be a car person to do that, you need basic reading and comprehension skills. If someone's job is to find comps and that's too much to ask, then I'd argue that it's not very important to the company. 

As for 3rd party valuations. Blaming them and shrugging your shoulders is a cop out. They are contracted by the carrier. There has to be some sort of performance expectation in the contract. If the third party company was overvaluing comps, I doubt the carrier would just shrug their shoulders and keep overpaying. 

While the insurance industry is heavily regulated, that doesn't mean that they are just along for the ride. They are heavily involved in the regulations, as well as they should be- it's their business. Just being regulated doesn't mean that they can't take advantage of their customers. 

This is not directed at the people in the industry on this site, I'm glad that you care enough to ask for feedback. It's directed at the industry in general. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
1/17/22 12:47 a.m.
dxman92 said:

Long story short, I had a collision a few years ago with an uninsured driver who was at fault (multiple citations issued). Since my vehicle was totaled, I only got rental vehicle for two weeks and that was in stone and no exceptions. Also, I lost my deductable since they couldn't locate and get ahold of the driver. The investigation department basically told me that they couldn't do anymore and you are on your own with taking them to small claims court to get something back.

My rental car should've been for as long as I needed it. Also, I should've gotten my deductable back no questions asked. Let's just say that was the end of my business with State Farm. 

Wouldn't the 2 week rental be part of your policy? I don't mean to be a dick, but did you read your policy when you signed up for it?

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
1/17/22 7:15 a.m.
Ranger50 said:

Just come out and say that insurance companies by and large are investment companies that are betting on the invested returns are less than expeditures/claims/ceo salary and bonuses... And that's why you dick us down on every berkeleying penny.

My biggest beef is just because a vehicle has mileage on it means it's "worthless". My ex wife lost her Monte Carlo from a fire years ago. Yes, it had 170k on it, but I'd put it up against ANY sub-100k version at the time. Don't even get me on the whole "why did you drive to another state and burn your vehicle down?" insinuation. The other state was 5 miles away to the east and it caught fire in a hospital parking lot with cameras!

With all due respect, all you are bringing to the discussion is your bias.  I'd dissect some of the issues with your claim but I can tell it won't change your mind.

@Boost_Crazy, I'll address the third party valuation thing. I've had to use this (single, monopoly) company for decades and am very familiar with what they do/don't do.

They are a data company, and they have a lot of data. But, that data is only as good as the person providing it. I've seen my share of adjusters who don't know the difference between trim levels or take the time to figure out what model Prius they are dealing with. The older Prius (Prii?) are giant PITA's because the VIN doesn't decode which of the six models it could be. So, you need a deep dive into the options list and some help with an online copy of the original sales bulletin because even the dealer can't tell me what it is. The process has improved lately as more data is being shared (well, bought at great expense) from the manufacturers. 

The comparable cars can be thorny. I like to see at least six to assume any accuracy. Customers who disagree with values tend to fail just as much, sending me ads for cars multiple states away, totally different years, etc. They try to sway value in their favor by only selecting pie-in-the-sky examples with silly asking prices. So it goes both ways. And again, stuff older than 15 years becomes a problem because they decrease in number in the marketplace so the number changing  hands is less. Which  means, less data on cars that can be wildly different in condition. Now add in a massive move to virtual valuations (from photos, not live inspections, because COVID) and it gets even worse.

I take ZERO pleasure in arguing with people about car values. I like giving a good figure the first time and getting the claim out of my life. I'd make no more or less on my weekly paycheck if I'd try to 'lowball' someone. A lot of people have truly inflated ideas of the value of their car. If I had a dollar for every person who told me their 'baby' was 'perfect' before the loss and I looked at a car riddled with door dings and six pounds of french fries under the seats I wouldn't have to work anymore. I think the people on this forum are far better educated in cars, have more unique vehicles that are better maintained and often fall outside the spectrum of what the 'system' we work within typically deals with. Doesn't make the results right for some of us; I get that.

Most of the time the 'lowball' stuff--when legitimate--I have observed is due to a sloppy/lazy claim rep or insufficient data from the Big Data Company. But I've only been doing this 25+ years...

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
1/17/22 7:18 a.m.
mtn said:
dxman92 said:

Wouldn't the 2 week rental be part of your policy? I don't mean to be a dick, but did you read your policy when you signed up for it?

Ugh, rental cars.

Here's a topic I don't disagree much on. On your own policy, if you have rental coverage, it's basically a bank account. $900 total, $30/day or similar. Once you chew up that $900 that's all there is. That's all you paid for. However, we do try to get you out of that rental ASAP as they are expensive. IMO you should be allowed to keep that rental for the whole 30 days until your funds are used up. But that's not how it works (policy language I won't get into).  I don't like this aspect at all.

When it's the other party paying, there is more flexibility, but they will still do their best to control that rental cost. And now we've got another separate thread topic we could open.

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
1/17/22 8:49 a.m.

In reply to ddavidv :

Yes I have a bias. I have this bias because the whole process was slimy from the start. It started with pre-2000 comps which are but aren't the same basic GM fwd car. Then it was ls vs ss models. Then it was living in bfe and 50 miles doesn't get you anywhere for any kind of comparable inventory. I had to submit my counteroffer comps which were 250 plus miles away.

It entirely felt from the get go, the problem I already alluded to with driving to another state and burning said vehicle, continued through the whole process. "They" just wanted to not pay for something "we" did.

1/17/22 10:44 a.m.

In reply to Boost_Crazy :

I hear your frustration.  The total loss process is imperfect, to be sure.  ddavidv and I have outlined exactly how it works and why it sometimes falls short.  As ddavidv said, the valuation company (their name is CCC) is a data company.  They gather data and search for data to come up with data.  If the data going in isn't good, then....  It's not an excuse or anything else, it's just fact.  It's something I, and others, try to work with an improve daily.  The other thing that needs to improve is education and communication.  There are no secrets about this, consumers should know all of the things we've discussed here.  The way it's supposed to work is my team first should check the CCC report and make sure it has the basics right.  Then provide it to the customer and say "Is this correct?  Were any options missed?"  Then go from there.  And yeah, it often falls on the consumer side too.  I can't tell you how many times consumers have sent me "comparables" that are nothing close to what they actually have.  

One thing I can't really "debate" with anyone is their personal feelings.  If you feel insurance is intentionally trying to screw people out of money, I'm sorry you feel that way.  With over a quarter century in the business, I can tell you for an undisputed fact that it's not how it works.  Here's the best reasoning I can give you to illustrate my point.  I work in the commercial insurance industry (I do have over a decade in personal lines too).  My customers pay premiums ranging from $5000 per year up to literally over $1,000,000.  The "average" I would guess to be somewhere around $40,000.  On top of that, they always have VERY close relationships with their insurance agent.  That agent may write a book of business with my company for $4,000,000 or $10,000,000 or more.  I know I ain't the brightest bulb in the world...after all I get excited about a 1986 Pontiac Fiero I just bought.  However, do you really think I'd intentionally rip a customer off for $1000 or $5000 or even $10,000 when doing so may cost my company literally millions of dollars?  In personal lines, those relationships and dollar figures aren't there, I know that.  However, the DOI is.  Don't think that the DOI is in collusion with insurance.  Quite the opposite.  When a complaint is filed with the DOI, it gets lots of attention at the carrier.  If the DOI decides to come auditing, they will look for ANY excuse to levy fines and penalties.  They want money, and lots of it.  If they were to find intentional short paying of claims, the fines would literally be in the millions...many of them.  

I think here's one thing that can separate the "good" companes from the not so good.  From a pure dollars and cents perspective, total loss is a miniscule drop in the bucket.  Hell, all physical damage claims are a relative drop in the bucket.  The big money spent by insurance is on injury claims.  I don't have exact numbers in front of me, but here's the example from my company.  My department handles all auto claims ranging from a small deer hit all the way up to pretty significant injury claims, such as broken bones, moderate surgery, etc...  We don't handle files in suit or major claims such as fatality, loss of limb, long hospital stays, etc...  Well over 90% of all claims that come in the door stay with my group and are resolved there.  Yet in total auto claims money spent, we are just about 50% of all money spent.  Therefore less than 10% of all claims that come in account for half of the money spent.  You can guess who gets the most attention.  However, though my team spends half or less of the money, we are just about 100% responsible for our company's customer service reputation...with our customers, our agents and the general public.  Smart carriers recognize this, not so smart ones don't.  The industry is rapidly changing and expectations are very high (as they should be).  I think there is going to be a lot of change coming.

APEowner
APEowner SuperDork
1/17/22 12:04 p.m.

I've been paying for auto insurance for just about 40 years.  In that time I've had some claims handled really well and a two badly.  In only one of the claims that was handled badly was I the insured and in that case when I got fed up and complained to the adjuster's supervisor the adjuster was fired within a couple of days.

I don't want a fancy app to make a claim but it might be nice to have one for uploading pictures and documentation from my phone.  A good website with an equally good mobile optimized versions would be even better.

Here's what I want in a claims process.

1. The ability to make one phone call, with a short or preferably non-existent phone tree, to reach a knowledgeable (and ideally sympathetic) person who can guide me through the claims process.
  2. The ability to take the vehicle to the body shop of my choosing
  3. A minimum of paperwork and to be able to easily reach a person to help me with any questions I have about the paperwork
  4. An easy way to upload documentation to the insurance company
  5. An efficient process.  Ideally the turnaround time on insurance company decisions would be  a couple of days at the most

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/17/22 12:16 p.m.

I remain perplexed about the complaints on the topic of not being able to choose who does the repair work.

In my 40 years of experience with auto insurance, I have never - not once - encountered an insurance company or claim that required me to use any particular shop to do any particular work.

They often offer preferred or recommended shops, yes.  But I have never seen a single word about required shops.  You are completely free to choose whatever shop you deem appropriate.  And in the times where my preferred shop has been more expensive than the adjuster's estimate, providing detailed estimates showing exactly why has resulted in the extra amount being paid by the insurance company.

APEowner
APEowner SuperDork
1/17/22 12:37 p.m.
Duke said:

I remain perplexed about the complaints on the topic of not being able to choose who does the repair work.

In my 40 years of experience with auto insurance, I have never - not once - encountered an insurance company or claim that required me to use any particular shop to do any particular work.

They often offer preferred or recommended shops, yes.  But I have never seen a single word about required shops.  You are completely free to choose whatever shop you deem appropriate.  And in the times where my preferred shop has been more expensive than the adjuster's estimate, providing detailed estimates showing exactly why has resulted in the extra amount being paid by the insurance company.

I think that this comes from some insurance companies or adjusters pushing preferred shops and not making it clear that in most states you can choose your own.  I include the ability to choose the shop in my list because I want to keep that ability not because I haven't been able too.  Although, years ago the lizard company insisted that I take my car to one of their appraisal locations after their insured backed his tractor trailer into my '68 Dodge.

1/17/22 1:15 p.m.

You always have the right to pick your own shop.  If an insurance company forces you to use a shop that they recommend, that's called steering. It's a major, major no-no.

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
1/17/22 3:12 p.m.

In reply to Duke :

The way they word it is that if you don't go to the preferred or "sponsored" shop, the insurance company won't warranty the repair period.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/17/22 3:41 p.m.
Ranger50 said:

In reply to Duke :

The way they word it is that if you don't go to the preferred or "sponsored" shop, the insurance company won't warranty the repair period.

Your preferred shop should be warranting their own work.

If they are not, they shouldn't be your preferred shop.

1/17/22 3:52 p.m.
Duke said:
Ranger50 said:

In reply to Duke :

Your preferred shop should be warranting their own work.

If they are not, they shouldn't be your preferred shop.

Correct.  Shops warranty the work, not the insurance company....even if it's a network shop.

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
1/17/22 4:21 p.m.

In reply to Duke :

Not from the adjusters mouth at the time. They literally said to me, because I wasn't going to their preferred place, they wouldn't warranty anything about the repair.

59fsp
59fsp New Reader
1/17/22 6:29 p.m.

Two cents' worth from a perennial lurker. 

This experience relates to State Farm, and in no way were these issues showstoppers or ultimately anything more than minor annoyances.  My car was totaled due to another State Farm policy holder being apparently blind, and the offer for said (somewhat unicorn-y ordered-specially-from-the-factory) car was reasonable and reflected more than I was expecting based on various online valuation tools (KBB, Carmax, etc).

These observations may mostly be a consequence of the giantness of State Farm, but:

1. Make sure that when the claims folk call a claimant, caller ID is consistent so when some rando 800 number shows up on your phone, it's obvious who it is, and so therefore the customer's more likely to pick up.

It seemed that every person who called from State Farm mostly called from some random 800 number AND left a different 800 callback number and (b) none of those numbers from which they were calling were caller-ID'd as STATE FARM CLAIMS or STATE FARM (CITY NAME) CLAIMS or whoever the office was that was calling.  So, for me, they get treated like any other rando "your extended warranty on my [insert make/model of three cars ago] may need to be renewed" spam.  "Decline Call".  

Two.  Yes you made me an offer to total the car and I accepted it.  Goddamn it, if you have my bank account details and you've sucked my premium out of it every month for the last 22yr, no I am NOT going to send you a picture of a canceled check "to ensure the payment is routed to the account correctly".

3. Not sure if this applies to SKJSS's situation but if you do business in several states, make sure the groups that handle each state (a) have the ability to alk to one another and (b) have at least some level of basic knowledge that, you know, driving a covered vehicle in a different state is kind of not uncommon.  In my case (and this wasn't a huge deal in the grand scheme of things) it was like the two State Farms (GA and NC, in this case) don't talk to one another.  "wait, so you're insured in GA and you were in NC when the accident happened?  Hold please..."  WTF.  

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
N8NA8NMozY9jb8bx3W6TFM1QgXTeQF9m0m6XsnDFdlvhUhfcDakomYXPhkgCBiwR