2 3 4 5
Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter)
Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) Dork
7/30/21 9:51 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

I don't know that we've run across someone who doesn't have Facebook. I'm not part of the interview board. But if they deny social media accounts I'm sure the polygraph examiner would ask and confirm the truth of it.

Our age cut-off for new hires is 35 years old. Zero illicit drug usage which will be verified by polygraph, credit history and several other hurdles they have to overcome. The interview board interviews their neighbors before they get a job offer.

The applicants want the job and they apparently don't mind running the gauntlet described above. There's always a line of guys trying to get the job.

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
7/30/21 10:15 p.m.
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) said:
SVreX (Forum Supporter) said:

Googling my name brings up a child rapist in Britain. 

Life sucks. 

Oh my gosh... I just googled me.

My problem is that on the whole earth, there are 6 known people with the Mittong surname left.  None of them are Curtis-es except me.  Googling me always finds me.

The first page was my IMDB link.  About the 4th or 5th was this one: Curtis Mittong height - How tall is Curtis Mittong? (celebheightwiki.com) It's some database on actors' specs.  The BEST PART....  I scrolled down to find this crock of horse dung.  Hey, guys... I'm rich.

Since I knew you back in the day can I be a part of your crew?

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
7/30/21 10:20 p.m.

I remember hearing from someone ages ago that "the internet is forever". And that's pretty accurate. I try not to do stupid stuff on the internet, outside of my dumb car-related hijinks and the occasional dog pic. 

Social media can be a real cesspool, but it can also be pretty cool. I'm a member of some great FB groups that have kept me going during some rough patches. And I can keep tabs on buddies that moved away, which is great. But navigating through the muck can definitely get dicey. 

RevRico
RevRico UltimaDork
7/30/21 10:32 p.m.
z31maniac said:

In reply to Toyman01 + Sized and :

Social media is what you make of it. I think many, not all, who poo-poo it do it out of a "too cool for school" attitude.

Yea that's part of it. It's my experience that what is popular is usually bad.

Shut down my face place in 2011 because I saw how much berkeleying dumber it was making everyone I knew. As far as I can tell from the sidelines, that problem has grown exponentially in the time since I left. 

I also completely and utterly hate the few living members of my family I don't see on a regularly basis, and have had the same phone number for 18 years, so anyone that has needed to find me from the past easily could, and never has. 

LLast year or so I did a search for me. I have a very unique name, roughly 60 people nationwide share my surname, the vast majority of which are not related to me and live on the west coast. Someone in Michigan with an art and religion filled profile was using my full first and last name. I don't know whether to be creeped out, surprised, or insulted by that. 

Google searching me finds a star I named for an ex girlfriend and some forum posts. Searching the username will bring up some other forums I'm on, but most of those have gone the way of the dodo bird. Image searching my name finds no pictures of me, which is something I'm actually proud of. The closest hit is a picture of my namesake from a 1960s yearbook from the school he taught at.

gearheadmb
gearheadmb SuperDork
7/30/21 10:48 p.m.
Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to NOHOME :

I don't know that we've run across someone who doesn't have Facebook. I'm not part of the interview board. But if they deny social media accounts I'm sure the polygraph examiner would ask and confirm the truth of it.

Our age cut-off for new hires is 35 years old. Zero illicit drug usage which will be verified by polygraph, credit history and several other hurdles they have to overcome. The interview board interviews their neighbors before they get a job offer.

The applicants want the job and they apparently don't mind running the gauntlet described above. There's always a line of guys trying to get the job.

What berkeleying field are you in? A spy or something?

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/30/21 11:07 p.m.

In reply to gearheadmb :

If he is, he wouldn't be a very good one if he answers yes.

RichardSIA
RichardSIA Dork
7/30/21 11:26 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

Ah ha!
Just as I thought, rampant age discrimination despite being quite illegal.
And how old is the company owner?

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
7/31/21 12:11 a.m.
RichardSIA said:

Ah ha!
Just as I thought, rampant age discrimination despite being quite illegal.
And how old is the company owner?

The polygraph suggests it's probably government/military.

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
7/31/21 5:51 a.m.
gearheadmb said:

In reply to NOHOME :

He's a fire fighter iirc.

7/31/21 6:06 a.m.
chandler said:
gearheadmb said:

In reply to NOHOME :

He's a fire fighter iirc.

That is correct. The process I described is completely typical of any department in my area.

It should reassure you that whenever some fireman is picking your grandma up off of the bathroom floor, there is a zero point zero chance that he will snag her jewelry off the dresser or her Vicodin out of the medicine cabinet or cop a feel of her boobs. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
7/31/21 6:29 a.m.

It's so easy for people to manipulate your FB anymore. A few years ago my fatherand I got dox'd by a group that called themselves "Getting white racists fired". For some reason they decided that my father (same name) was racist. The same man that taught me as a child that "until you can prove to me that you chose what color you were going to be born you need to sit down and shut up about someones color or where they live because we're all just people." They went so far as to literally doctor posts and send them to our employers to get us fired for being openly racist. I was lucky that my boss knows me and knew that what was sent in the email was fake because she is ALSO on my facebook friends list. 

So now, it's the generic info for us. Wife and I share the same account so she can keep up with friends and family spread across the country. I use it for inappropriate memes, car stuff and general shenanigans. 

The whole "would you say that in front of your grandmother" thing...... she'd make ME blush. The woman had no shame and loved to have fun. If it was funny she'd laugh, no matter how inappropriate some might find it. I can guarantee she'd be ashamed of the softness of many of our culture and their instant offense on everything. 

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones Dork
7/31/21 6:50 a.m.

In reply to Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) :

My grandma would want them to cop a feel. 

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/31/21 6:56 a.m.

In reply to Steve_Jones :

Mine too, I'm pretty sure the women in my mother in law's complex pull an alarm every few days to get them to come out. 

7/31/21 7:03 a.m.

I've seen that a bunch too. Single mom calls the fire department for some goofy reason. We get there, and she's got her goods out on display. She's fishing to see if she can get some fireman interest under the guise of smelling gas in her kitchen or the smoke alarm beeping. 

Of course we ignore it and do our job, but all the while my mind is thinking "Lady, I don't care how nice those things are, put them away. I am not interesting in helping you raise your kids." 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
7/31/21 8:50 a.m.

I've seen that a bunch too. Single mom calls the fire department for some goofy reason. We get there, and she's got her goods out on display.

The only phone calls I get as an industrial salesman is some guy calling me because a piece of steel tore a hole in his conveyor belt at his garbage recycling center and he needs a new belt.  BTW garbage really stinks in July.  Count your blessings.

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/31/21 3:42 p.m.
Stampie said:

Since I knew you back in the day can I be a part of your crew?

Welcome aboard!  Bring drinks 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
7/31/21 5:12 p.m.
Stefan (Forum Supporter) said:

Yeah, that's BS man.  Dude is excited about his potential new job and it isn't illegal:

https://eastcoastriskmanagement.com/is-it-illegal-to-prohibit-employees-from-talking-salary/

I'm not sure I'd want to work for that org if they pull this sort of BS.

He wasn't an employee yet, so what's illegal?

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa PowerDork
7/31/21 5:25 p.m.

Life sucks. 

My problem is that on the whole earth, there are 6 known people with the Mittong surname left.  None of them are Curtis-es except me.  Googling me always finds me.

The first page was my IMDB link.  About the 4th or 5th was this one: Curtis Mittong height - How tall is Curtis Mittong? (celebheightwiki.com) It's some database on actors' specs.  The BEST PART....  I scrolled down to find this crock of horse dung.  Hey, guys... I'm rich.

Hey man, can I borrow a $20?

RichardSIA
RichardSIA Dork
7/31/21 6:05 p.m.

Well, LOL!

Googled myself, very little comes up beyond past testimony at the state legislature.
You did know that all public testimony is forever, right?

There was only one of those "We can find anybody" sites with my name and a very little outdated info. I sent them an email demanding they cease exploiting my information without permission. And yes, I sent it from a throw away Gmail account.

BBB still list a business I closed years ago. I was never a fan of them and never paid their Vig, er "Fee".

After years of resisting I reluctantly opened a FB page for access to their Marketplace.
Used an alias, never put up a pic, never filled out any profile info.
Never use it for anything else. So FB is pretty much a dead end for snooping on me too.
I would have no hesitation to just delete it at any time.

I really do not understand the whole "Share what you had for lunch, when you had your last bowel movement, etc." thing.

A couple of other sites similar to this one are all the (Anti)Social Media I can tolerate.
My real email is hosted off-shore in a country that actually protects privacy, I use a VPN.
Yep, I am fighting the forces that want to exploit and control every little nuance of our lives as best I may.

So any potential employer wanting to "Research" me will just have to take my word.
If that is insufficient I don't want to work there anyway.
And yes, I have worked at companies that required a security clearance in the distant past.

RX Reven'
RX Reven' UltraDork
7/31/21 6:12 p.m.

Oh...My...Gauuude

I haven't Googled my name in a while so, based on the above discussions, I just gave it a go (first and last).

I got the ship's captain and soccer player I've seen before but now an attorney and an obituary popped up.

I clicked on the obituary and found that the guy was from Seattle, 37 years old, BS in Physics, and had (wait for it) the same middle name. surprise

My name isn't very common so to score a 3 for 3 gave me a moment of "is this my own obituary, is this how people find out they're dead now".

Hahaha 

Mr. Peabody
Mr. Peabody UltimaDork
7/31/21 6:17 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

I thought the initial post was in bad taste, but that's downright disgusting.

And polygraph? Really?

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/31/21 6:19 p.m.
Mr_Asa said:

Life sucks. 

Hey man, can I borrow a $20?

Sure.  Make sure your printer is set on the highest resolution...

A facelift for the $20 bill - May. 13, 2003

RichardSIA
RichardSIA Dork
7/31/21 6:29 p.m.

I think a Polygraph test has to be more a bluff to weed out liars than actually useful.
Clearly recall several studies pointing to it as ineffective, also seem to recall Fed Law restrictions on how and who can use it as a hiring tool.
Been a long time since it mattered but I do not believe you can be compelled to take a Poly for any reason.

Threatened into it, maybe, but not lawfully compelled.
If a Poly can be required I see that as no different than bringing back the Rubber Hose Squad to get "Confessions" from "Suspects".
Anyone else remember the who and why of LSD being invented?

Mr. Peabody
Mr. Peabody UltimaDork
7/31/21 6:36 p.m.
RichardSIA said:

Anyone else remember the who and why of LSD being invented?

Yes, it was discovered by accident by a chemist named Hoffman who was trying to develop a blood stimulant.

I seem to know an awful lot about LSD

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
7/31/21 6:42 p.m.
Mr. Peabody said:

In reply to NOHOME :

I thought the initial post was in bad taste, but that's downright disgusting.

And polygraph? Really?

The most shenanigans I've ever seen have been when I've partied with firefighters and police.

There were a few times when I was thinking "I'm not a cop but I'm sure the stuff we're doing right now is illegal".

2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qQp270fwPVTKByEiA84e5Uat5qxb16el3rrdcVJzsckSLsqRt70K2yg7lMNRBOUR