2 3 4 5
Run_Away
Run_Away Dork
3/10/19 3:15 p.m.

Just discovered that Rock Auto sells (all? some?) Autometer gauges.

Taking model #5652 which is a really fancy oil pressure gauge for example:

$285 USD on Summit Racing and Jegs. Summit will ship it to my address in Canada for another $34 for a total of $319.67 USD taxes and duty paid.

$214 USD on Rock Auto. RA will ship to my address in Canada for $21 for a total of $234.47 USD taxes and duty paid.

$85 USD cheaper...

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
3/11/19 5:37 a.m.

Well I might as well update that I’ve still not ordered from RA since this incident. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
3/11/19 7:20 a.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett :

Same. And I still tell everyone that asks how horrific their "customer service" is. 

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
3/11/19 7:22 a.m.

I just spent $250 with RA. Package arrived nicely packed, everything correct. Slightly sketchy box for one item looks like it may have been opened once but contents are new. Genuine Sanden a/c compressor way cheaper than anywhere else I found.

I tried to buy a specific, weird heater hose for my 93 Lightning but they didn't list it despite Dorman making it. Also couldn't buy 5 spark plugs for the wife's Jetta; my choices were 3 or a pack of 10.

I also didn't get a magnet for my collection this time. Bummer.

Overall, satisfied.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
3/11/19 7:28 a.m.

When I had my jag there was no one that could touch there pricing on things. It took a week to get parts but it was in many cases 80-90 percent less than other places.  

RevRico
RevRico PowerDork
3/11/19 7:42 a.m.

In reply to ddavidv :

I haven't gotten new magnets from them in probably 3 years. I thought they were done with that program.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
3/12/19 11:03 a.m.

I was looking for swaybar links for a Mazda3, the same links where cheaper on a Mazda specific site, so shop around.

I did recently buy some old GM style tail light sockets, which where cheaper on RockAuto then anywhere else.  The quality was good (the OEM's weren't' all that good to begin with!)...  got a magnet... it's a CRX... straight to the toolbox.

Hoondavan
Hoondavan Reader
3/12/19 12:46 p.m.

I've ordered from Rockauto and had issues.  Found a phone number and the person told me I'd have to work it out via email.  I received a part that was wrongly indicated as compatible (motor mounts).  Even the mfg. had it wrongly listed as compatible and sent me an email indicating it was a mistake and that it wouldn't fit.  RockAuto still expected me to spilt the shipping costs of the return...which is just wrong.  By the time I got it boxed up and ready to send i was outside the return window.  Now I'm SOL.  Their part number listing is still best in class...but selecting a product based on inventory location is a pain.  Zero help if you need to speak to a person.  I still check prices, but I don't think I've ordered from RA since.

I usually cross-shop the chain parts stores and specialty shops, against RA, Amazon, and ebay.  Some things are remarkably similar.  The specialty shops (FCP Euro) reliably have reasonable prices and the right parts.  Sometimes they're all relatively close, sometimes there's a clear winner on either the product or the price.

Amazon used to be much better.  The AC kit (condenser, evaporator, receiver/dryer) I bought from Amazon for my EP3 was perfect, and less than 1/2 the cost i could find it anywhere else for (<$150?). Reliable shipping expectations is the primary reason why I stopped using Amazon. Prices seem to have creeped up, and most items are through a 3rd party.  I had a few instances where the item was days later than expected...and Amazon just shrugged their shoulders.  All of the competition have been more reliable on that front.  

Having an Advance Auto just down the street saves me a ton of time, so I use them for fluids and most smaller items, as long as it makes sense.  It is a little frustrating that they usually make you order online if you want to utilize the discount coupons.  I've had managers give me the discount via manual override, but I've also had clerks tell me to order online and watch me order on my phone so I could use a discount code.  Seems silly, but the $40 in savings for a new starter was worth the extra five minutes of time for me.   I did learn that if you order online for pickup in-store, the store doesn't get credit for the revenue (but still has to pull the order).

It's also worth a phone call to the dealership on some things if you're not interested in waiting.  The dealerships can usually get most items within 24 hours. While prices are definitely higher, it's often cheaper than paying for expedited or 2-day shipping.  I bought a plastic retaining clip that attaches to the door release cable on my minivan last week.  For once, the $0.50 piece of plastic only cost $2.50 from the dealer (not $20 I was expecting).   That wound up being less than the cost of shipping from the online Honda shops.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
3/13/19 7:57 a.m.

It has me wondering if rockauto was sold/purchased by someone. Everything people are complaining about is what seems to happen when a company like this sells out to someone and becomes just another profit center to be maximized instead of being someone’s reputation. 

The0retical
The0retical UberDork
3/13/19 11:55 a.m.

In reply to ddavidv :

RA had a spat with Dorman a year or so back. Once they've sold all their remaining stock they're supposedly done with them.

I haven't had any issues with them lately despite buying 800ish bucks worth of parts for the Vibe over the last 2 years.

edizzle89
edizzle89 SuperDork
3/13/19 1:56 p.m.
ddavidv said:Also couldn't buy 5 spark plugs for the wife's Jetta; my choices were 3 or a pack of 10.

Random side note: I found when shopping for plugs for my v8 Genesis on Amazon it was a couple bucks cheaper to buy 2 6 packs of plugs vs. buying just 8 plugs, not sure why but I'm not complaining.

NickD
NickD UberDork
3/14/19 9:38 a.m.

The Rock has always done fine by me. Cheaper than the local parts stores and usually faster getting it as well. The only recent issue I had wasn't even their fault. Timken has an issue with their parts catalog where they list a PN2800S everywhere as the pinion seal for a '94-'05 Miata rear axle. It is not even close. But, again, it's an issue on Timken's end, not Rock Auto's. Magnets are sporadic, but honestly, that's a pretty absurd thing to get up in arms over.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
3/14/19 10:23 a.m.

The only problem I've had with RA is also related to bad catalog data from the manufacturer.  It involved an electric door lock mechanism on the RAV4.  They handled it all via the online return thing.  The budget loaded struts for my LS400 didn't work out.  I didn't go after them until the rather brief return window had closed.  Had I caught it earlier, it would have been fine.

Just bought a idler arm for the Truck.  Ten bucks at RA, 33 at the local places.  Local places also could get just the bushings for only $74 each (2 required.)  They were a buck each on RA.  Went ahead and got those too just for the hell of it. 

Toebra
Toebra Dork
3/15/19 1:11 a.m.
dean1484 said:

Oh. And friendly no hassle returns and customer service that you can reach by phone. Amazon gets it and I will gladly pay a few bucks more for that service. 

Not my experience with amazon

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
3/15/19 8:44 a.m.

In reply to Toebra :

I've never had a bad return experience with Amazon. Even when it was my screw up. 

The0retical
The0retical UberDork
3/15/19 9:12 a.m.
Toebra said:
dean1484 said:

Oh. And friendly no hassle returns and customer service that you can reach by phone. Amazon gets it and I will gladly pay a few bucks more for that service. 

Not my experience with amazon

I've had a couple ugly conversations with Amazon as well. They are especially bad when you're trying to get one of their devices warrantied.

It's a mixed bag everywhere.

dj06482
dj06482 UltraDork
3/15/19 12:42 p.m.

I've still been happy with Rock Auto, I've ordered a bunch of parts for multiple cars through them and it's all worked out fine. I think I've been getting magnets with every order, too - so my collection has grown quite a bit. As others have mentioned, I cross-shop them against Amazon on most things, and they're usually ahead in price, and although the stated shipping is much longer, I've gotten most items from Rock Auto just as quickly as I would have from Amazon (some even showed up the next day).

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
3/15/19 12:46 p.m.

Getting a window regulator today from Rockauto.  I've been on a bit of a Rockauto tear lately, with orders for suspension parts, brakes, and coils.  Shockingly good prices.  Parts delivered promptly at reasonable cost.  The last time I was in a local parts store, I bought a light bulb.

Philippe819
Philippe819 New Reader
3/15/19 9:06 p.m.

Here are the duplicate magnets I have available.  If you are interested in some of them, let me know which magnets you have to trade!

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
3/16/19 8:41 a.m.

In reply to Philippe819 :

That's an impressive collection.  I do not have near that many.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
3/16/19 9:34 a.m.
Philippe819 said:

Here are the duplicate magnets I have available.  If you are interested in some of them, let me know which magnets you have to trade!

I'd trade either of these two for the Yellow TR7 if you're interested.

Philippe819
Philippe819 New Reader
3/16/19 12:07 p.m.
Indy-Guy said:
Philippe819 said:

I'd trade either of these two for the Yellow TR7 if you're interested.

Yes, let's do this.  Is there a way we can finalize this in PM?

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
3/16/19 12:21 p.m.

Window regulator delivered on time yesterday.  I'ma go do the job rat now.

Edit:  A leisurely few hours later, with many detours and diversions, and the job is done.  Part was perfect.  No cussing or thrown tools.  A rousing success!

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
3/16/19 12:26 p.m.

In reply to Philippe819 :

Yes.  I sent you a PM.  Do you want the BMW or the Chevy ?

einy
einy HalfDork
3/16/19 1:54 p.m.

Fully loaded pair of KYB front struts for the “new to me” 2006 Civic were less than $270 delivered.  Lots cheaper than anyone else I found, plus they had them in stock.  Still a happy customer ...

2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
p79rQpzhZfCKIoFraMmslBIyAeGN9ZAnFpMXaXbqnxaI4xRCCmKcHp1oTMY0slFk