1 2 3
RX Reven'
RX Reven' New Reader
9/29/08 5:54 p.m.

[old folks home] nice tattoo of a giraffe…shut up, it’s supposed to be a gazelle [/old folks home]

Nis14
Nis14 New Reader
9/29/08 6:40 p.m.

I was thinking about getting it on the right side of my back, it's not going to be big it'll be about 5"x 3"... haha don't flame guys...

The reason it on my back is because I don't want it to be visible to everyone. It's just a reminder to myself of how I should live my life. I just want to make sure it wasn't a quote from some crazy guy.

Guys with tats post pics... except the "Joe" guy.

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
9/29/08 6:50 p.m.

If it's on your back, you won't be able to see it. If you can't see it, how will it help you remind yourself how you should live your life?

I mean, I suppose you could turn and look at your naked back in a mirror (or other reflective surface), but that's a little awkward. Plus, how embarrassing will that be when you're in a corporate meeting where they ask you to compromise your morals and you tell them, "Wait a minute," then whip your shirt off and contort yourself to check out the reflection of your naked back in the conference room window. "No, I can't do that. That's not how I live my life." That greedy corporate bastard will steal your shirt and you won't be able to get service at any restaurant for the rest of the afternoon!

If it's just the knowledge that it's there, you could have the tattoo artist give you a fake tattoo. Sort of a placebo tattoo. It's just the power of suggestion that you think you have a badass tattoo that will help you maintain your moral code when that corporate bastard tries to make you compromise on your beliefs. But at least you'll still be able to get a Big Mac after the meeting.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg HalfDork
9/29/08 6:56 p.m.

Dude, write it on a card and put it in your wallet, just in case you actually need to read it.

Nis14
Nis14 New Reader
9/29/08 7:00 p.m.

I chose my back because I can't think of anywhere else where my muscle structure doesn't distort the tat.

Everyone is trying to talk me out of it.... haha

katonk
katonk New Reader
9/29/08 7:10 p.m.

"Tramp Stamp" Never heard the term till I saw the episode of 'How I Met Your Mother' when Ted unknowingly gets a tattoo. Now my wife, brother-in-law, and I all laugh at my sister-in-law's body art.

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
9/29/08 7:13 p.m.

No, I'm not trying to talk you out of it. I'm just enjoying the opportunity to give someone a hard time. (I really hope you realized my earlier post was a joke.) It's tough to make a joke about someone saying, "I have decided not to get a tattoo."

I went with two friends when they got tattoos. Don't have anything that I would want tattooed.

My one piece of advice is: A Tattoo is not something to hunt for the "best deal" on. Find the best artist, at the best shop, with the best reputation. Be sure you can see examples of the work they have done in the past. I trust that you really have put a lot of consideration into whether or not you really will want it for the rest of your life.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Reader
9/29/08 7:31 p.m.
Nis14 wrote: The reason it on my back is because I don't want it to be visible to everyone. It's just a reminder to myself of how I should live my life. I just want to make sure it wasn't a quote from some crazy guy.

Hey now, don't be dissin' the crazy people. If the message spoke to you enough that you want it tattooed on your self, what does it matter who said it?

I agree with aussiesmg with the idea of writing it on a card and keeping it with you. If you find yourself referring to it often then a tattoo will be more appealing over time.

Will
Will New Reader
9/29/08 8:24 p.m.

I don't know who said it but I do know the comma is grammatically incorrect. Normally I'd let that slide but if you're getting inked I just thought you might like to know.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
9/29/08 9:07 p.m.

George Carlin once said he'd like to tattoo the following on some guy's back: 'Don't tell this moron about all the crap we wrote back here. He thinks it's a pirate ship.'

Honestly, tattoo anything you want when and where you want it. Me, I'm just at the point that I don't need a piece of metal or plastic jammed through a hole in a body part or ink under my skin to prove how weird I am.

Carson
Carson Reader
9/29/08 9:11 p.m.
Osterkraut wrote: Google can't find that. Interesting...

If Google's got nothing, claim it as your own.

If I get this across my back can I get a free sticker?

Tommy Suddard
Tommy Suddard
9/29/08 9:21 p.m.

I couldn't find the quote, either. I do remember learning about it in school, though. I'll ask my English teacher.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Reader
9/29/08 9:34 p.m.
Carson wrote:
If Google's got nothing, claim it as your own. If I get this across my back can I get a free sticker?

Google's first hit is this thread

jrw1621
jrw1621 Reader
9/29/08 9:35 p.m.

Here is the unsolicited advise that I always give on tattoos.

Take a copy of the art or in this case the quote and place it on your bathroom mirror. Not in the corner of the mirror but dead center. The intention here is that you can not see yourself in the mirror w/o looking through the "tattoo"

Keep it there for a year, looking at it every day, and the see if you still like it.

Hocrest
Hocrest New Reader
9/29/08 9:37 p.m.
Carson wrote:
If Google's got nothing, claim it as your own. If I get this across my back can I get a free sticker?

You'll have the tat, why do you need a sticker????

walterj
walterj HalfDork
9/29/08 10:37 p.m.
914Driver
914Driver HalfDork
9/30/08 6:05 a.m.
Nis14 wrote: I Guys with tats post pics... except the "Joe" guy.

I'm the "Joe" guy and that was a joke.

I have one on my left bicep that I got at 18 and regret it, back then tats weren't as accepted as they are now and shops were not the botiques they are now.

I have an injury to my left ring finger, cut it down to the bone machining, hooked it on someone else's shoddy workmanship. When it healed I had a string of pearl like lumps under the skin, that's my tendon and that's as good as it gets. For my 20th wedding anniversary I got a celtic knotted rope tattooed on my ring finger.

My son has one in the center of his back, about 4" diameter, a celtic symbol of some kind. also on his left side, ribcage near his heart, he has a small heart with Mom in it, it's teal blue/green and very subtle.

Yes, do the homework and find a good artist! When I had the ring done, the guy fawked it up a bit and when it started to heal I went back and showed him. He had me come back in two weeks and he pushed ink into the old wound. Yeah, it hurt, there's no meat there; think needles chattering off bone.

Show us what you end up with.

Dan

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
9/30/08 6:46 a.m.

With tattoos, both spelling and punctuation really count. I knew a guy in the Navy who had "Death Before Dishonir" prominently tattooed on his arm.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
9/30/08 6:51 a.m.

^^ There was something a while back about all these kids getting Japanese characters inked which either were not real characters or they made no sense.

914Driver
914Driver HalfDork
9/30/08 7:17 a.m.

/\ /\ ...or the pinhead with Japanese characters on his neck and doesn't understand why all the Japanese waiters are laughing at him. Obviously he doesn't read Japanese, it says something about liking young boys.

Luke
Luke Dork
9/30/08 8:21 a.m.

^ Is he aware they're permanent?

Also, check out the expression on the guy watching from the tattoo chair.

EricM
EricM Reader
9/30/08 8:50 a.m.
jrw1621 wrote: Tattoo: Permanent Reminder of a Temporary Feeling - Jimmy Buffett

I am going to get that tatooed on my body.

EricM
EricM Reader
9/30/08 8:53 a.m.
MGAMGB wrote:
Nis14 wrote: I was thinking about getting it on the right side of my back, it's not going to be big it'll be about 5"x 3"... haha don't flame guys... The reason it on my back is because I don't want it to be visible to everyone. It's just a reminder to myself of how I should live my life. I just want to make sure it wasn't a quote from some crazy guy. Guys with tats post pics... except the "Joe" guy.
Mr. Cool Ice says: " tattoos are cool."

I wonder who is going to tell him that there is a GAY skeleton on his back.

WilD
WilD Reader
9/30/08 9:21 a.m.
Joe Gearin wrote: Dude, the only cool tattoo is a TAZ tattoo. Maybe with your Greek letters, and "Party On!" written underneath.

Are those standard issue or do you know my brother-in-law?

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
9/30/08 10:03 a.m.

Yeah, spelling counts. I used to know a guy that was in a particular branch of the armed forces. He got a tattoo with the name of his unit, but it came out "Forced Rec..." instead of "Force Rec..." He'd point it out as a mistake, but you would not want to make fun of it, though.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OWDsKLrPla2lQEP2SPQjhPVnmkkuATsheuZSzFmnpBWp7ZO6x7vDDbeuWmhKLqXx