1 2 3
RX Reven'
RX Reven' SuperDork
9/23/20 1:16 p.m.

A big resounding yes from me. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
9/23/20 1:23 p.m.

I'm fine with keeping it year round.  I mean logically it doesn't make sense for it to exist at all - businesses/schools/etc. should adjust their hours instead, but logic is not our strong suit here in the US.

RX Reven'
RX Reven' SuperDork
9/23/20 1:23 p.m.
Toyman01 (Moderately Supportive Dude) said:

A big resounding yes from me. 

I know; right.

I've never heard anyone say "let's keep the DST system, it's awesome sauce".

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/23/20 1:24 p.m.

Is there a way we can show our support? Im sick of having to reset the vcr clock.

RX Reven'
RX Reven' SuperDork
9/23/20 1:25 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) said:

Is there a way we can show our support? Im sick of having to reset the vcr clock.

Google "Lock the Clock"

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) :

Shoot an email to your senators. 

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso SuperDork
9/23/20 1:27 p.m.

A big heck yes from me. I was outside with the kids last night and realized how much more miserable things are going to be with 1 less hour of daylight in the evenings

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
9/23/20 1:29 p.m.

Why just during the panademic though? Make it permenant.

mtn (Forum Supporter)
mtn (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/23/20 1:32 p.m.

Big resounding yes from me, make it permanent or make Standard time permanent, or move us back 30 minutes and make that permanent, but this switching is horrible. I hate it. 

Shadeux (Forum Supporter)
Shadeux (Forum Supporter) Dork
9/23/20 1:51 p.m.

For everyone's sake just leave it one way or the other. It's so dumb.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
9/23/20 1:53 p.m.
Shadeux (Forum Supporter) said:

For everyone's sake just leave it one way or the other. It's so dumb.

I'd rather it change twice a year then being stuck with standard time.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
9/23/20 1:56 p.m.

All along it's been a method for battery manufacturers to drum up business for smoke detector batteries!

In the end, it doesn't amount to a hill of beans.

Call me neutral.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
9/23/20 1:58 p.m.
Scotty Con Queso said:

A big heck yes from me. I was outside with the kids last night and realized how much more miserable things are going to be with 1 less hour of daylight. 

[whispers]

its the same amount of daylight.  shhhhh 

ultraclyde (Forum Supporter)
ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
9/23/20 2:28 p.m.

As long as we can keep it on DST so it's light after work, I'm all for it. I would absolutely go insane if it's locked on standard time instead. The total light is the same, granted, but what part of the lighted hours I have to spend at work is very different. Having daylight after work means I get to go ride my bike on a regular basis but full dark after work means fewer opportunities to do so.

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
9/23/20 2:44 p.m.
Toyman01 (Moderately Supportive Dude) said:

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) :

Shoot an email to your senators. 

Done.

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin SuperDork
9/23/20 2:57 p.m.

My farmer dad refused to go along. So the chores got done an hour early for half the year most of his life. 

thatsnowinnebago (Forum Supporter)
thatsnowinnebago (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
9/23/20 3:02 p.m.

Can't forget about the huge loss in the economy every time it switches. 

trigun7469
trigun7469 SuperDork
9/23/20 3:07 p.m.

About time, common sense would tell you this should have been done years ago. Is there really a negative?

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso SuperDork
9/23/20 3:21 p.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

Ninja edit. 

Paraphrase of a Native American Saying on the matter:

"Only the white man could cot a foot off the bottom of a blanket, sew it to the top, and be convinced he has a longer blanket."

Arizona is right.

Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter)
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
9/23/20 4:01 p.m.

I can't say yes to this enough. 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
9/23/20 4:31 p.m.

Is this bill getting rid of DST, or making it permanent?

I remember hearing some argument against it, but I don't remember exactly what it was.  I think it had something to do with businesses being open at certain times.  This one talks a bit more about the argument (but seems to ignore the possibility of staying on DST?)

Absent DST, for eight months per year our days would not be structured to enjoy the most sunlight possible. Our mornings would be bright and cheerful, but the sun would tend to be set before we leave work each day. This stinks! This gives the average 9-5 adult very little time to enjoy sunlight. So during the spring, summer, and early autumn, we tweak it, just a bit, so that there's more sunlight in the evening. In the winter, we abandon DST, because there just isn't enough sunlight to make a difference. Winter is pretty much a dark hellworld no matter how it's scheduled. Winter DST would give us a very very late sunrise and not enough light in the evening to provide the effects we want.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/science/environment/a18011/in-defense-of-daylight-saving-time/

To answer my own question.  It looks like it's to go to DST, but as noted, only temporarily, which doesn't seem to make sense (if it's a good idea, it's a good idea):

https://www.rubio.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/2020/9/rubio-scott-introduce-bill-to-keep-daylight-saving-time-during-pandemic

RX Reven'
RX Reven' SuperDork
9/23/20 5:15 p.m.

In reply to aircooled :

Correct, the bill only covers one cycle (going off DST this year and going back on DST next year).

I think the idea is that once everybody see's that the universe didn't explode, it'll be easier to pass a bill that's permanent.

Imagine the MEME's - It wasn't easy, it took a pandemic, riots, and fires but we got it done...year round DST.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
9/23/20 6:27 p.m.

I, for one, am not a fan of year round DST.  If we want more evening daylight, shift schedules to something logical.  Right now they are biased toward the evening (8-5 for example), so evening daylight suffers.

I AM a fan of the same time year round.  That should be standard time, with some attempt to make solar noon and real noon align.  If people could just get their heads out of their asses and shift their hours earlier, we would get the same effect as DST, but it would make sense from an astronomy standpoint.

that said, timezones offset by 0:30 can berkeley right off.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1tqSVgE6X8TrLKXth9rFwPEP3ToVruW4ZkKAlF4B7uwtbr9lJaZVclFee5rJePsb