1 2 3
Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie HalfDork
9/23/20 6:47 p.m.

They can't pass a stimulus bill, they can't pass a long term budget, the infrastructure is falling apart and they have time to mess with this? 

I think we need some pay cuts in Washington.

rob_lewis
rob_lewis UltraDork
9/23/20 7:10 p.m.
Snowdoggie said:

They can't pass a stimulus bill, they can't pass a long term budget, the infrastructure is falling apart and they have time to mess with this? 

^^ Agreed.

While DST doesn't make sense and I'm all for changing it, why NOW?  I mean, aren't there more important things we should concentrate on?

-Rob

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia SuperDork
9/23/20 7:13 p.m.

my vote , leave it as it is.....

if changing your clocks one hour is a big problem for you .......you have lots of clocks !

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
9/23/20 7:55 p.m.
rob_lewis said:
Snowdoggie said:

^^ Agreed.

While DST doesn't make sense and I'm all for changing it, why NOW?  I mean, aren't there more important things we should concentrate on?

-Rob

There are always going to be more important things. That doesn't mean we can't address the less-important ones, too.

Boost_Crazy
Boost_Crazy HalfDork
9/23/20 9:50 p.m.

In reply to Snowdoggie :

If this was like the stimulus or budget, one side would be trying to move the clocks forward 3 hours while the other wants to move them back 3 hours. 

Personally, I would love to keep an extra hour in the evening during the winter. 

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
9/23/20 9:53 p.m.
ProDarwin said:

I, for one, am not a fan of year round DST.  If we want more evening daylight, shift schedules to something logical.  Right now they are biased toward the evening (8-5 for example), so evening daylight suffers.

I AM a fan of the same time year round.  That should be standard time, with some attempt to make solar noon and real noon align.  If people could just get their heads out of their asses and shift their hours earlier, we would get the same effect as DST, but it would make sense from an astronomy standpoint.

that said, timezones offset by 0:30 can berkeley right off.

F that noise. I already go in at 6:30 in the morning to maximize my after work daylight hours. 

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
9/23/20 10:41 p.m.

Is this the part where I suggest we just get paid more per hour so that we can work less hours? Then we'd definitely have more free time during which to enjoy some daylight. Oh, but we can't have that, CEOs wouldn't make enough millions of dollars then. cheeky

CJ (He's Just an FS)
CJ (He's Just an FS) HalfDork
9/23/20 11:40 p.m.

I have herd concerns about kids walking to school (or their bus stop) in complete darkness if DST was year round.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
9/24/20 12:02 a.m.
Snowdoggie said:

Maybe this is something they can actually agree on... baby steps.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
9/24/20 7:52 a.m.
93EXCivic said:

F that noise. I already go in at 6:30 in the morning to maximize my after work daylight hours. 

There is no difference in working 6:30 to 3:30 with a 1:00 solar noon or 5:30 to 2:30 with a 12:00 solar noon

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
9/24/20 8:44 a.m.
ProDarwin said:
93EXCivic said:

There is no difference in working 6:30 to 3:30 with a 1:00 solar noon or 5:30 to 2:30 with a 12:00 solar noon

Except that everyone would have to change their hours for that to be true. I guarantee schools would still go in at 8, daycares would open at the same time, stores, etc.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
9/24/20 8:50 a.m.
93EXCivic said:
ProDarwin said:
93EXCivic said:

Except that everyone would have to change their hours for that to be true. I guarantee schools would still go in at 8, daycares would open at the same time, stores, etc.

That's been my whole point.  Everyone needs to get their head out of their ass and set right hours as opposed to the govt. trying to turn the world clock fwd or backward an hour.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
9/24/20 8:53 a.m.
ProDarwin said:
93EXCivic said:
ProDarwin said:
93EXCivic said:

That's been my whole point.  Everyone needs to get their head out of their ass and set right hours as opposed to the govt. trying to turn the world clock fwd or backward an hour.

Well people aren't capable of getting their own heads out of their asses so this is an easy way of doing it. Why does it matter if solar noon is a 12 or 1 anyway?

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
9/24/20 8:53 a.m.

I've always said move it ahead 30 minutes and lock it and throw away the key.   Never could figure how this was going to help us save energy.  

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia SuperDork
9/24/20 10:12 a.m.
spitfirebill said:

I've always said move it ahead 30 minutes and lock it and throw away the key.   Never could figure how this was going to help us save energy.  

Stupid Facts , the state of South Australia (Adelaide)  is 30 minutes off from the state of Victoria next door !

and there India is 30 minutes off.....not sure if its ALL of India.....

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/24/20 1:39 p.m.

I would love it if DST exploded, drowned, and evaporated.  It is vestigial at best.

Many businesses already have summer hours and winter hours.  If work-y type things are so concerned about DST, they can simply change their hours of operation on the dates where they normally would have had DST.

I also give pause to "gain an hour" or "lose and hour" of sleep.  Really?  You can always go to bed eariler.  We have created an entire means of compensation for our bodies, our work schedules, and our lives to accommodate a useless thing that has no real reason for existing.

Time is time.  Period.  Just because the clocks change their display doesn't change the fact that the sun rises and sets every day, and it takes 24 hours for it to make a whole trip.  I, for one, think it should just be astonomical.  When the sun is directly above the middle of your time zone, that's noon.  Period.  The sun will rise and set the same number of hours before and after that point.  Altering the clock so that noon is no longer noon doesn't mean you get an extra hour of daylight.  It means that you just started your day earlier.

If anything, I would prefer DST to happen in the winter.  It's bad enough that you just spent a whole summer when it doesn't get dark until 9:30, then a couple months later, it's suddenly dark at 7, then during the fastest part of the arc of rotation happens, DST goes away and the next thing you know it's dark at 5:00.

Just get rid of it.  I feel like we as a society have empowered this panic of DST to the point where we (as a general whole) perceive it so caustic that it negatively affects our lives.  On the one hand, it doesn't affect me because I'm not the type of person to place energy into an event that boils down to changing two clocks twice a year.  On the other hand, the whole population seems to get whipped into a frenzy about it.

Daylight is daylight.  We get a fixed amount every day and it is dictated by laws of physics that have been around for a few trillion years.  Then humans come along and say "I want it to seem like there is more daylight" so they make a law to change their clocks around.

I don't get it.

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie HalfDork
9/24/20 1:46 p.m.
californiamilleghia said:
spitfirebill said:

Stupid Facts , the state of South Australia (Adelaide)  is 30 minutes off from the state of Victoria next door !

and there India is 30 minutes off.....not sure if its ALL of India.....

El Paso, Texas is in an entirely different time zone from Dalllas, Texas. But try telling that to a recruiter from India who thinks that El Paso is a short commute from Dallas. cheeky

Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter)
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/24/20 1:47 p.m.

I'm all for not changing clocks.  I'd rather stay on standard time year round, but I'll take DST year round rather than jumping back and forth.

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie HalfDork
9/24/20 1:49 p.m.
aircooled said:
Snowdoggie said:

Maybe this is something they can actually agree on... baby steps.

Meh. They just want to go back to their districts before election day and claim to have accomplished something other than go on vacation every other month. Not buying it. 

Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) Dork
9/24/20 1:57 p.m.
Snowdoggie said:

My thoughts as well, fire them all.

RX Reven'
RX Reven' SuperDork
9/24/20 2:02 p.m.

In reply to Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) :

Fun Fact...

Of those 65 and older, heart attacks increase by 25% and strokes increase by 20% in the two days following "springing forward".

Cooter
Cooter UberDork
9/24/20 5:55 p.m.
Duke
Duke MegaDork
9/24/20 6:01 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) said:

I'm all for not changing clocks.  I'd rather stay on standard time year round, but I'll take DST year round rather than jumping back and forth.

Split the difference.  Move the clocks to the 1/2 hour between ST and DST, set em and forget em.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
9/24/20 6:30 p.m.

Maybe we could just switch to 4 days simultaneous cubic time.

NOT A TA
NOT A TA SuperDork
9/24/20 6:30 p.m.
CJ (He's Just an FS) said:

I have herd concerns about kids walking to school (or their bus stop) in complete darkness if DST was year round.

They did it because of the "energy crisis" back in '74 when I was in high school. IIRC there were more incidents but not a lot. I liked having the daylight at the end of the day.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
b6XiCqcN9t9lndQGkKW3JDQbQH7YyAHmrkguibCXfwksghR7UnAJjRk8TLgX28vd